X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0171 and p0174 codes with my OBD readings

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 03:04 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I will try to do a you tube video of it as well. In meantime here is an image of it. It's the hard plastic box that the PCV tube rests on top of
http://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/ima.../4735190_6.png

I really think the noise I am hearing is throttle plate opening and I'm hearing rush of air. It's not a constant hissing or sucking sound

Old 10-31-2016, 03:47 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I see, this is the part I don't have - you have post-2003 engine.
I don't know what it is.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:52 PM

Ok I've been attacking this vacuum leak for several days now. I watched some videos of guys making a smoker to blow low pressure smoke into the air intake system to allow smoke to come out of the leak from inside. I'm happy to say that I think I found my vacuum leak this way.

I got a new empty gallon paint can at Lowes. Also got 2 threaded 5/16" hose barb fittings in plumbing area and 10 feet of 5/16" vinyl hose. With a 1/2 drill bit in my drill press put 2 holes in the lid of paint bucket. The hose barbs literally screwed into the holes so tightly I probably didn't have to seal them but did with some silicone. I have a DC powered fan used to blow up pool inflatables that I fitted to a short length about 2 feet of hose and a barb as inlet. The longer piece of hose is fitted on other barb as outlet to be pumped into engine intake. You cannot use a lot of pressure and this small blower worked great. For smoke I used an empty soup can and tore small strips of cardboard and put inside the paint bucket. Put a little mineral oil on some of the cardboard and lit it. It will begin to smolder and produce plenty of smoke. Seal the lid and turn on blower -steady stream of smoke comes out of outlet hose end.

I took the air cleaner box off the bellows right after MAF sensor and put a rubber glove over end of bellows sealing off the intake this way. Then I selected the small vacuum tube that attaches on top of intake manifold immediately after the throttle body as where to input smoke. I disconnected that pipe from the firewall where it plugs into a sensor and inserted a small nozzle into the vinyl tube that I had which fit that vacuum pipe opening tightly. The rubber glove began filling up slowly and I knew smoke was getting throughout intake. Then smoke started coming out steadily around the connection where this same vacuum pipe plugs into the top of intake manifold. There is my vacuum leak. That connection looks to be dry rotted or damaged and is leaking. This is small pipe on top and not the brake booster vacuum tube. The same connection on brake vacuum hose looks to be new and I think the previous owner replaced that brake hose and connection in the past. So I am going to try and get that piece and replace it. Will let you know if this was truly my vacuum leak.

Last edited by RobinGa; 11-07-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:07 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Good stuff. have you got a photo of the hose, also showing it's exact location?

Old 11-07-2016, 04:47 PM

Here is a photo from another thread in this forum. The offending hose connection is just below the drawn red oval. It's the small pipe coming straight up out of intake. To clarify my leak is not the tube that's circled but the other vacuum tube near it. It's immediately after the throttle body

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...e-car-part.jpg

Last edited by RobinGa; 11-07-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:44 PM

Here is the part for the vacuum tube connector kit that is where I have a leak. I just bought one and now have to figure how to switch it out when it gets here

C2S15816

Old 11-08-2016, 08:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

RobinGA, the part on the intake, push down on the plastic ring and keep it held down as you lift up on the hose elbow. IT will slide right out. From there, if you need to, you can remove the ring once the elbow is out of the way. As for the end going into the brake booster, you can pull apart the joint where the new part ends. It will take you all of 5 minutes to replace.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:03 PM

Thermo, Chris I got my connection kit today and want to know how the brass insert part comes out of the intake manifold recess? I suspect t the rubber Oring that's in the new brass piece is as important to swap out as the black plastic piece that tightens around vacuum pipe. Do you or anyone else know how to get the brass insert out? I'm afraid to just use brute force yet without asking for advice. By looks of the new piece the brass insert has no threads nor any barbs or anything but the current one is snug in the intake. Thanks

Old 11-21-2016, 07:15 PM

Just wanted to report the resolution of my problem. My vacuum leak was occurring where the vacuum tube from the Purge Valve solenoid attaches to the manifold. After I replaced the Oring and the black plastic mounting collar from a vacuum tube connection repair kit, my lean codes went away. In my chase to find this leak I changed several parts which by age and mileage probably needed it anyway. I have new plugs and intake gaskets now also so that was a little tuneup I got along the way. Waving smoke around the engine bay and also spraying carb cleaner didn't locate it for me. What did pin point my vacuum leak was the homemade smoke machine described above. Highly recommend doing that or something similar if you have a pesky vacuum leak. Enjoy