Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0430 after several repairs

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More Info

Originally Posted by blaydes99
I get this same code when driving on the highway on cold days. It goes away by itself once the weather warms up, but it's annoying.

The dealer can possibly reprogram your car's "computer" with updated software that has looser threshold values. My guess is that the efficiency of the cat is ok, but the detection is too strict and throws P0430 even though it works within acceptable parameters. At any rate, I'm curious to see what you find.
Blaydes99, I have the same model and live in the same state as you. Could you provide some more info on getting the P0430 code on cold days? I'm having the same problem. Will the code go away by itself without clearing the code from the OBDII? Do I have to wait until Spring or will a warm day clear the code? I had the dealer I bought my X-type from replace the cat when I first got the P0430 code, but recently, my car started throwing the code again. My next move was to replace the 02 sensors, but I'd rather not, if this is just a quirk of the cold weather.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Vatermann
Blaydes99, I have the same model and live in the same state as you. Could you provide some more info on getting the P0430 code on cold days? I'm having the same problem. Will the code go away by itself without clearing the code from the OBDII? Do I have to wait until Spring or will a warm day clear the code? I had the dealer I bought my X-type from replace the cat when I first got the P0430 code, but recently, my car started throwing the code again. My next move was to replace the 02 sensors, but I'd rather not, if this is just a quirk of the cold weather.

Hi Vatermann, I bet you have that same problem as I did, as the O2 sensors and cats are performing just fine, it's most likely just the Jag's computer being oversensitive. You'll need to move the o2 sensor slightly out of the downstream so that it still reads the output but doesn't keep throwing the code. I used an anti-fouler, which will allow the o2 sensor to still be connected to the system but it will be further out from the exhaust stream. Here's the fix that worked for me:

-Buy anti-foulers part #42002 dorman brand at O'Rielly Auto (18mm short tapered)-Get a good 1/2" metal drill bit
-Take one of the two anti-foulers and drill through so the opening will be big enough to fit the o2 sensor. Hole diameter throughout the fouler should be the 1/2"
-Put car up on ramps or a lift and get under your car and locate the downstream o2 sensor (this is just about the only one that is easily accessible anyway - just double check that you are getting P4030 as this is the downstream o2 sensor cat 2, same as the one I'm describing)
-Use a good wrench or vice grips and remove the o2 sensor (I bashed my fingers, so try and save yourself some pain and use a mallet or something)
-Screw o2 sensor into the anti-fouler, the tip of the sensor will barely fit in the opening that you've drilled, make it tight
-Before screwing the o2 sensor and anti-fouler back into the cat, it helps to reverse twist the wires so that when you put it it, they untwist and are essentially normal. You could unplug/re-do the wires if you don't want to hassle with this, but make sure the wires aren't all twisted up when you are done screwing it back in.
-At this point, I recommend rubbing some dirty oil on the fouler so it doesn't look shiny new and draw the eye of any inspector

The code will clear by itself after a while but I recommend clearing it with the reader at O'Reilly Auto and then driving on the highway to see if it comes back. Engine light should stay off at this point!

The following users liked this post:
rf69 (01-11-2012)
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the info, Blaydes99. It's definitely the P0430 Bank II code. I checked it at O'reilly's last night. I went ahead and bought some new O2 sensors, just to be sure one is not bad. I'm going to throw them in this weekend. If that code pops up again, I'm going to try your antifouler trick. Since the cat is new, I suspect you're right and the computer is just ultrasensitive. I appreciate the detailed description you gave. My dad always said that the more gadgets a car has, the more things will break. I'm starting to believe him.

rf69 (01-11-2012)
Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you gap your sparg plugs to .050 ? IF YOUR JAG IS AN X-TYPE 3.0.. I used Bosch iridium and had to do the gap

Old 12-29-2011, 01:28 PM

the dealer advised me to change both cat converters due to the other one is maybe sending the wrong signal

Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can it be the PCV hose? I remember 2 years ago my Jag showed something like 15 codes ranging from o2 sensors, misfires, faulty cat and a bunch of others. It was the cheap OEM PCV hose that came with the car, the hose was basically split underneath and once I replaced that all the codes went away. The dealership was of no help what so ever. They basically said, well we can start by changing out the cats and o2 sensors and see where that goes.

Last edited by roblox84; 01-01-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did yo have your ECM reflashed when you replaced your cat? I am about to have my bank 2 cat replaced and the exhaust shop told me I need to pretty much go straight to my dealer and have a reflash because for some reason the ECM will not reset itself and will throw codes and continue to richen the fuel mixture and quickly ruin my new cat.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 AM

I had the cat converter replaced but not reflashed (whatever that means), but I still got the P0430 code afterwards. I replaced the 2 O2 sensors on Bank II, but I still got the code. Eventually, I changed the gas cap, replaced a leaky crankshaft breather hose ($12 from dealer) and the 2 leaky IMT Valve o-rings ($4 each from dealer). I haven't had the code since, and it's been a couple of months. I would check the breather hose and o-rings before changing the cat. Although no one has make a connection with those and the P0430 code, it seems to all be related. I definitely had a vacuum leak.

rf69 (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Good info I will looke into it.. I bought my front cat converter from catalyticconverterwarehouse.com for $188 and I am still waiting for it after three days I have been calling and they always put me on hold.. I do not know if it is an scam or not but I will replace it myself since the dealer wants to charge me a lot for labor

Originally Posted by Vatermann
I had the cat converter replaced but not reflashed (whatever that means), but I still got the P0430 code afterwards. I replaced the 2 O2 sensors on Bank II, but I still got the code. Eventually, I changed the gas cap, replaced a leaky crankshaft breather hose ($12 from dealer) and the 2 leaky IMT Valve o-rings ($4 each from dealer). I haven't had the code since, and it's been a couple of months. I would check the breather hose and o-rings before changing the cat. Although no one has make a connection with those and the P0430 code, it seems to all be related. I definitely had a vacuum leak.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 PM

Good info I will looke into it.. I bought my front cat converter from catalyticconverterwarehouse.com for $188 and I am still waiting for it after three days I have been calling and they always put me on hold.. I do not know if it is an scam or not but I will replace it myself since the dealer wants to charge me a lot for labor.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:00 PM

Good info,, You are right when the tech replaced my Camshaft sensors he said he updated my computer with some kind of software that might be the case of mine too about what you are saying, thanks

Old 01-11-2012, 01:10 PM

Any pics of where the PCV hose is located at??

Please

Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM

No, I did not change my intake gaskets when I replaced the spark plugs that is good info

Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 PM

It is located,, when you open your hood just behind the radiator, it is called front catalytic converter or Left hand due to that it is the first located if you look from underneath the vehicle in between the radiator and the oil pan, you will be able just to see the oxigent sensor 2 also connected to it

Old 01-25-2012, 03:06 PM

Update: My 2002 X-type was code free for a few months after fixing my vacuum leaks. Then a week or so ago, I got the P0430 code again. I was frustrated. I know my cat and O2 sensors are good and there are no more vacuum leaks. I decided to clean my MAF sensor with the proper cleaner. The bottom wire was completely covered in dirt. I also threw in some Lucas Upper Cylinder cleaner in case I have a clogged fuel injector. I'll let you know how it goes.