X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0743 with some dash lights...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0743 with some dash lights...

Hello all, this is my first post, unfortunately, after perusing about a while, I have yet to find a specific problem like mine...

I have a 2004 X-Type 3.0L with 96k miles. The drivetrain fault light went on maybe 10 times randomly for around a week, then today, it accompanied by the CEL came on for most of the day. Even after a restart, the lights would be on.

I went to the parts store and pulled the code, only one stored, and it's a P0743. It has something to do with the torque converter solenoid circuit.

What exactly does this mean? Do I need to change the tranny fluid and filter?

Thanks, everyone!

A.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Default Bump

Bump...

After deleting the code last week, the drive train dash light just came back on today while on the interstate. No noticeable difference in performance.

Thoughts?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,922 Likes on 3,222 Posts

ASpotts, the torque converter solenoid is what engages/disengages the torque converter. In short, this solenoid is what allows your car to come to a stop without killing the motor.

As for your issue, look in the hole behind the battery box. You will find a wire bundle that runs down to the tranny. Inside of this bundle is the wires that you are after. Check the length of this wire bundle for any signs of damage. It is possible that the bundle has gotten close to something hot and one of the wires for the solenoid is grounding out, which will trigger the computer into thinking that there is a fault. After that, you can try doing a tranny fluid swap, sometimes it helps, some times not. It could very well be that your torque converter solenoid is going out and the car isn't seeing what it wants to. But, based on the driveability condition of the car, the more likely issue is damaged wiring.

If you need more info, I will pass on what I can.

On a side note, welcome to the Forums. My son lives over in Bremerton and I lived in Bremerton for 12 years. I would love to make it back there, but not many jobs in the nuclear field out there without going government (did that for 20 years, time to move on to something else). So, sit back, enjoy the forums and keep us informed of what you find.

The following users liked this post:
aspottswood (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Default I think that was it!

Thermo, thanks so much for the informative reply. After work today, the drivetrain light came back on along with the CEL. Later in the drive, it actually started shifting harder. Once I finally got home and popped the hood I found right behind the battery cover this blue and green connector DISCONNECTED completely.

Name:  IMG_20110119_201225.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  81.5 KB

I saw that it would fit right in to the battery cover and plugged it in - perfect fit. A couple months ago, I had some work done to replace the battery and all the connectors. I wonder if the tech didn't properly connect it?

Anyways, i started the car and the CEL was still there. Drove it down the street and CEL/Drivetrain light went away and it began shifting like normal again.

Thanks for your help Thermo!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

moving to the x-type area, as this thread is very model specific. g'luck with the diagnosis!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate to tell u but that wire doesn't do anything anymore...its for a part installed at assembly and removed before the car is sold.
When it comes to transmissions wirth this car you should have a good tranny specialest check it out....a replacement @ jag dealer I was quoted 8grand or so...rebuild was a little above 4grand....
What is your car doing when you are in drive, car running abd fully stopped? Anything seem different at all?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=48600

Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Default This week

thanks ghettomike for the insight and h20boy for moving the thread.

Ghettomike, you're right. That did not fix the issue. This week the drivetrain fault light came back on after a long 6 hours of driving one day and finally, today the check engine came back on as well (I haven't run the codes yet, but suspect they will be the same as my original post). The car has been running pretty smooth until the check engine light came back on and now the gears shift pretty hard especially as it goes into 2nd and 3rd gear. When I'm idle, the RPMs can fluctuate but has never cut the engine.

i have a buddy coming over tomorrow that examines wires for a living so i'll get his 2 cents on the wiring even though i see no damage. If it ends up being the torque converter solenoid, is that something i could easily replace?

A.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:21 PM
Default did u find out what was the problem?

Originally Posted by aspottswood
thanks ghettomike for the insight and h20boy for moving the thread.

Ghettomike, you're right. That did not fix the issue. This week the drivetrain fault light came back on after a long 6 hours of driving one day and finally, today the check engine came back on as well (I haven't run the codes yet, but suspect they will be the same as my original post). The car has been running pretty smooth until the check engine light came back on and now the gears shift pretty hard especially as it goes into 2nd and 3rd gear. When I'm idle, the RPMs can fluctuate but has never cut the engine.

i have a buddy coming over tomorrow that examines wires for a living so i'll get his 2 cents on the wiring even though i see no damage. If it ends up being the torque converter solenoid, is that something i could easily replace?

A.
I'm having the same problem !!

Old 10-26-2015, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Alexander Rivera
I'm having the same problem !!

i found this cables the look like the had to much hit do u think tha can be what is causing the code p0743