X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Chipping - Odd Locations

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Paint Chipping - Odd Locations

I have 2 spots on the lower rear passenger (right) side bumper cover. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am the original owner and that is the original paint.

Looking forward to your comments.

Attached Thumbnails Paint Chipping - Odd Locations-img_3402.jpg   Paint Chipping - Odd Locations-img_3403.jpg   Paint Chipping - Odd Locations-img_3404.jpg  
Old 05-04-2016, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Do your tires stick out a little past the fender/rear quarter panel? From looking at the the dirt is spray pattern is in the picture it almost looks like something might have gotten kicked up and chipped those two spots. And if your tires are sticking out a little wider than stock that would definitely be a suspect. If you are running stock wheels, I can't say, but might be the same thing.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Paint that is use on plastic parts of cars, like bumpers, have a flex agent in them allowing the to flex as the plastic expands and contracts with the weather. It also allows it to flex when you get a light tap too.

This paint, along with all paint, needs a good “tooth” (clean, dry, scuffed, surface ) to hold on to. This is what has failed from that I can see from the photos. Thery’re guys that specialize in chip repair (ask any dealer for a recommendation) who may be able to fix this with out repainting all of the bumper.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Do your tires stick out a little past the fender/rear quarter panel? From looking at the the dirt is spray pattern is in the picture it almost looks like something might have gotten kicked up and chipped those two spots. And if your tires are sticking out a little wider than stock that would definitely be a suspect. If you are running stock wheels, I can't say, but might be the same thing.
No, I don't believe tires protrude past the well, but I will double check. Either way, I've been running these wheels/tires for multiple years now and these two spots just showed up. The dirt spray pattern is actually the tire shine. I'm at a loss for what has really caused this. Your theory may be correct though.

Originally Posted by Larry-Cleveland
Paint that is use on plastic parts of cars, like bumpers, have a flex agent in them allowing the to flex as the plastic expands and contracts with the weather. It also allows it to flex when you get a light tap too.

This paint, along with all paint, needs a good “tooth” (clean, dry, scuffed, surface ) to hold on to. This is what has failed from that I can see from the photos. Thery’re guys that specialize in chip repair (ask any dealer for a recommendation) who may be able to fix this with out repainting all of the bumper.
Thanks. It bothers me, but is not a huge deal, as it's plastic and nothing can rust. Overall, the vehicle is in great shape, so it's just annoying that there are paint chips appearing back there. I want to get the front bumper cover resprayed (rock chips) when I get the front valance spoiler installed, so I'll ask for a quote for the rear as well.

What I'm confused on is why it is chipped down to the primer (or plastic)? I would think the clear would chip and then start to peel, but it seems the clear and paint have been removed, and potentially the primer. Was my car never cleared?

Last edited by 91stealthes; 05-04-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

What the paint did was loose it’s grip on the primer. When it broke loose it took all the paint above it with it.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If your car was never clear coated you would have noticed long before having it 10 years-more like the first 10 seconds when you saw it at the dealer.

I hardly think it would be a defect if it just happened recently and had been good for the last 10 years. Maybe those two areas had some very slight grease or something on there making the bond ever so slightly weaker than everything else and it has taken 10 years to show up, but more likely just something got thrown up and chipped it or someone hit it with a shopping cart in a parking lot or with a bike or something. Who knows. More than once through the years I would wash my car and come across some weird scratch or small dent that would tick me off.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
If your car was never clear coated you would have noticed long before having it 10 years-more like the first 10 seconds when you saw it at the dealer.

I hardly think it would be a defect if it just happened recently and had been good for the last 10 years. Maybe those two areas had some very slight grease or something on there making the bond ever so slightly weaker than everything else and it has taken 10 years to show up, but more likely just something got thrown up and chipped it or someone hit it with a shopping cart in a parking lot or with a bike or something. Who knows. More than once through the years I would wash my car and come across some weird scratch or small dent that would tick me off.
Same thing on my car.
Went thru a car wash and found a paint patch missing about 2" round on the rear plastic bumper.
Got a sharpie pen out and its barely noticable... Lol
At the end of the day, its a car ;@)