Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking break problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Parking break problems

Hi

I have two issues with my parking break.

I noticed that the parking break does not release completely on the right rear wheel. I removed the break wire from the caliper and noticed that the lever on the caliper immediately went back to its outmost position, and the cable retracted all the way back into the wire-hose. The parking break handle was of course not engaged. I tried engaging and releasing the break lever on the caliper using a pair of pliars several times and the lever went back every time. So this makes me think there is something wrong with the wire. Any ideas or suggestions on what to look for?

I also heard a rumour that there were a recall on the parking break on early x-type's, not that I got any recall though. And that this concerned the automatic adjustment mechanism, which supposedly was replaced with a manual one. Where exactly is this mechanism located?

The second problem is that nowadays the handle need to be pulled quite far up before the brakes are applied. I assume this is related to the automatic adjustment thing. Any ideas on how to solve or adjust this. It's a 2002 4wd x-type and it hasn't hade any repairs or replacements done on the parking break system.

Thanx Thomas
I've done some searching on the forum on this but find very little info. Also the JTIS doesn't seem to mention the parking break at all.

Thanx

Thomas

Last edited by ThomasX; 08-18-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

THomas, if you are able to have the lever on the caliper move as it should, then I would be venturing to guess that you have a cable that is hanging up. Unfortunately, the only fix for this is to get a new cable.

As for having your parking brake lever to go really high, this is normally a sign that you have one of your levers on the calipers to stick and not engage all the way. This causes the balance beam at the handle to rotate and result in extra movement to engage the parking brake. Since you know the right rear wheel is engaging all the way, that would leave your left rear caliper as the culprit for this. I would take a look at that and see what you find there. It may be possible that with the one cable hanging up like it is, that it is causing this too. So, fix the cable first and then see what the hand lever is like then.