X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile parking sensors

Hello. My name is Pete. I'm new to the jaguar forum so please forgive me if I don't quite format the questions as you trusty die hards do :-)
I have just bought a 2002 x type and the parking sensors dont work. I have been told that people disconnect them because they get annoying.
Any ideas what i should check to see if they have been disconnected ?
Regards Pete

Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Pete, first off, welcome to the forums. We pride ourselves in being a different group of people and in general being a place that you want to come. So, sit back, grab yourself a cup of joe and enjoy. There's tons of information here for you to wrap your head around. All we ask in return is where you can help out a fellow member, you do. That is what makes this forum what it is.

As for your issue, I am assuming that when you put the car in REVERSE, you do not get any beeping from the rear of the car (ie, the parking aide system is sensing a fault which will give a solid tone any time the car is in REVERSE). If this is the case, I would first start with verifying that your backup lights come on when the car is put in reverse. The parking aide system gets its signal to activate on the voltage being applied to the backup lights (therefore, if they are not getting power, the system doesn't know the car is in REVERSE). If the reverse lights are not working, then I would check fuses F79 and F94 if you have an automatic tranny or fuse F82 if you have a manual tranny. Any of these fuses being blown will take out the whole system. Beyond this, if you are still having issues, let me know and I will give you further instructions from there. Please include whether you have a manual or auto tranny as this will help me narrow down what I have to discuss.

If you reverse lights are lighting, the next step is to park the car such that you can put the car in reverse and get out to put your ear next to each of the parking sensors (either by blocking the wheels or by using a second person). Do you hear a high pitch squeal/chirp coming from all 4 of the sensors? If yes, then odds are your speaker for the parking aide system is dead and you simply need a new speaker. If 1 or more of the sensors are chirping but you have a silent one, then odds are you have a bad backup sensor and a bad speaker (as the bad sensor should cause the speaker to sound any time the car is put in reverse). Replace the silent sensor(s) and then go after the speaker. If all 4 sensors are not chirping, then you have a problem with either the parking aide module being bad or you not having power to the module. Check fuse F69 (if the stereo works, then the fuse is good and no need to pull out the fuse). Next you will need to open up the trunk/boot of the car and then remove the carpeting to expose the spare tire. If you look against the bumper and to the left, you will see a black box there. That is your parking aide module. Verify that the plugs are connected to the module. If the module is plugged in, then you are most likely looking at a failed module. But, if you want, we can do a few checks to verify. You would just need to know how to use a multimeter to do some checking. If you want to go this route, let me know and I will step you through it.

The following users liked this post:
quin2112 (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Parking Sensor

Thank you so much for the advice. I have checked everything you have said and for that someone as removed the parking aid box altogether. The sensors seem to be making a very quite clicking sound when the car is in reverse so I assume they are ok but upon deeper investigation I noticed that the little black speaker was also in bits in the wheel well. Guyess that solves that issue. Breakers here I come.
Thank you one again. Your advice was most helpful. I only hope that one day I can return the favour.
Regards Pete

Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Pete, do not look to repay me. I am a big promoter of the "Pay It Forward" concept. Find someone else here and help them. You have been helped, now get out there and help someone else. This is what makes this place so great.