X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts Question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:51 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Parts Question?

I am looking to buy a brake booster vacuum hose on ebay and the prices vary from $19 - $91 dollars. Why the huge price difference and are they as good as OEM?

Also, does anyone else have an issue with your trinket tray (the tray on the left hand side - American car - that you can put sunglasses and stuff in) always pulling out every time you try to grab something out of it? You would think there would be a latch or spring clip that would hold it in there or maybe mine is missing that or broken?

Lastly, the other day I was driving and the passenger side defroster vent just popped up and out of place on it's own!!! So when I got out of my car, I went around to the passenger side and popped it back down into place and now it is holding again. Is this a common issue and if so, why? Are the parts that cheaply made that they bust all the time? I sure hope not.

Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks folks ;-)

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 12-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

That price difference could be that you're seeing the three categories of parts. Took me a while to learn this, but here's how I think of this:

OE = Original Equipment = the Jaguar part put on when the car was manufactured. Jaguar may have made the part (think stamped body panel), but many parts are made by other companies to Jaguar specification (radiators, alternators, transmissions, many other pieces), then delivered to the assembly line. These same parts are put on when car is serviced/repaired at a Jaguar dealership - or sold across the counter to consumers like us.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer = part made for Jaguar minus the logo. Many car parts are made by other companies contracted by Jaguar (and all the rest). Those companies can continue to produce them, just without the Jaguar label. You can see examples of this on SNG Barratt's website where they offer both the Jaguar part and an alternate OEM part at lower cost. It's the same part, though possibly made by a different manufacturer.

Aftermarket = part that someone produced (say an exhaust system) for a specific car, or generic (say a muffler) that may fit various cars.

I've not seen a problem with the tray you mention, but the defroster (Jag calls them demister) vents are a common failure item from the continuous heat cycling and sun exposure. I replaced mine here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-171496/

Last edited by swingwing; 12-10-2016 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:14 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

daddylogan, as it pertains to e-bay, you have to somewhat look at why the person is getting rid of it. Some people on there are simply a reseller and will try to get as much money as they can (hence why the part costs $91) and then you will have others that may be liquidating their stock to make room for other stuff and therefore are simply trying to break even (maybe even take a slight loss) to get it off their shelf. I would be looking more at the manufacturer of the part than the part itself. If everything is in a Jaguar package, then go with the cheapest one. If you have a few different manufacturers, compare what people are asking for the same manufacturer.

I would also make sure that you are getting new parts in all cases. There are a lot of recyclers that are selling good used parts and that can also account for low prices.

Personally, I would go with the $19 one and call it good. That part will most likely last you atleast 5 years and by that point, even if you have to replace it a second time will put you money ahead.