X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Dashboard Rattle HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

David I was not trying to be a smart ***. Maybe your situation is different from mine. In my case the vents do have some small plastic tabs that hook under the lip of the dash, if I remember correctly. When the plug is seated the pressure and position of the vent keep it in place and it does not rattle. My plug, for some reason, had lost its stiffness and when it was plugged in it did not maintain the tension necessary to keep enough pressure on the vent cover to keep the tabs tightly pressed against the edge and the whole thing would rattle. The plug looked OK but the prongs were not holding tight enough.

Once I got a new plug and popped it in, the unit stayed tight and did not pop loose anymore. I think maybe heat caused the plug to weaken, but don't know that for sure. But the vent on the other side has had no problems so maybe that is not it at all. Regardless, I did not want to put any glue up there if I could avoid it, in case I ever had to remove the vent at a later date. If you feel differectly, then fine. Whatever works for you.

I don't mind the minimum wage but I just don't want the company.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ok

Hi yes ok apology accepted you weren't being a smart ****. Maybe the vent retaining system is different on later/earlier models. My vents have no inner retaining clips at all? I see many other people have experienced the same thing. Why would you want to remove the windscreen vents in the future? I mean I worked in Volvo main dealers for 25 years and only replaced two screen vents due to little children putting chocolate bars down the vents which jammed up the heater fan motor! don't ya just love kids. Have a nice Jaguar day : ))

Old 06-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ihad a rattle I had to go hunting for and it turned out to be the garage dooropener buttons in the roof console. They were rattling around in their places.I happened to have a foil gum wrapper at the time and folded it in place tocushion the center button and my rattle went away. Someday I’ll do a morepermanent solution, but the gum wrapper has kept the rattle at bay for 6 monthsnow.