X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Chip for my Jag

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performance Chip for my Jag

I was thinking about placing a performance chip on my Jag for added horsepower and gas mileage....more for horsepower than anything.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Has anyone ever done this?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,883 Likes on 3,191 Posts

More power and the X-Type is a bad combination. The transfer case is adequate for moderate driving of the car. But you push the gas pedal a lot really hard and it is going to be hard on your wallet (ie, replacing transfer cases every 30K miles or so). If you are doing it for mileage, then I ask you this: Are you planning on owning the car for another 100K miles? That is about how long it would take you to make up the difference in gas savings (assuming you get a 1 mpg savings). Sounds like a lot of money for something that you probably won't get what you are ultimately after.

So, your call. Personally, I am leaving my Jag as is and finding other things to upgrade. if I want something faster, I am going to get a toy car that will have more power than most think is safe. He he he he he he he he he he.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jagzrule
I was thinking about placing a performance chip on my Jag for added horsepower and gas mileage....more for horsepower than anything.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Has anyone ever done this?
Dude. Nobody makes any ECU chips for this car, and if you're thinking about the junk you're probably looking at on eBay... don't bother because you'll be wasting your money.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't get too disappointed because where there is a will there is a way. If it's power you are after, we can't forget the guy who successfully supercharged his X-Type. So if you really wanted to it's definitely possible. I attatched an article that highlights all of this, currently his X Type is making 346bhp @ 7000rpm! In addition he added a Nitrous Oxide system

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X-Rated_Master Template lr.pdf (2.26 MB, 1046 views)
The following users liked this post:
jagzrule (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
More power and the X-Type is a bad combination. The transfer case is adequate for moderate driving of the car. But you push the gas pedal a lot really hard and it is going to be hard on your wallet (ie, replacing transfer cases every 30K miles or so). If you are doing it for mileage, then I ask you this: Are you planning on owning the car for another 100K miles? That is about how long it would take you to make up the difference in gas savings (assuming you get a 1 mpg savings). Sounds like a lot of money for something that you probably won't get what you are ultimately after.

So, your call. Personally, I am leaving my Jag as is and finding other things to upgrade. if I want something faster, I am going to get a toy car that will have more power than most think is safe. He he he he he he he he he he.

Performance chips are very inexpensive and I have yet to read a review where it damaged a person's car...I am just curious to if they really work.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
Dude. Nobody makes any ECU chips for this car, and if you're thinking about the junk you're probably looking at on eBay... don't bother because you'll be wasting your money.
No sir....I did not use eBay....and yes, performance chips are made for Jagz.

Try typing it in on a search engine i.e. google, yahoo.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by aCapiz
Don't get too disappointed because where there is a will there is a way. If it's power you are after, we can't forget the guy who successfully supercharged his X-Type. So if you really wanted to it's definitely possible. I attatched an article that highlights all of this, currently his X Type is making 346bhp @ 7000rpm! In addition he added a Nitrous Oxide system
That bloody motor is bonkers, mate!

Minus the wheels, aero kit and taillights, it would be a beautiful car. And yes, I know it was built in the early 2000's, but I would have said the same thing 7 or 8 years ago, too.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

This question has been asked at least eleventy billion times on this forum.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by aCapiz
this car was built in theUK where Jags are almost as plentifull as Chevies here. So the Uk caters alot more to mods than here where the market is VERY limited. yes there are a few tuners, but nothing that is pleantifull cause you dont just put alot of time money into a product of limited interest and economic returns. And 1 off like that Xtype are expensive$$$. I have freinds that run a tuner shop and build everything from plane engines to car engines. subarus to porsche. And theyre expensive. but they can do it all including engine management systems that are not made to anything in particular but all made to a customers car..so just break out the wallet and keep doing it cause with all that new found power comes new found limits on other components like the trans, rear end suspension etc....
i have afriend whos built a 500hp XJR(wheels) and gone through 2 trannies, a diff or 2 and has ripped the diff mounts clean out from under the car once.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

No sir....I did not use eBay....and yes, performance chips are made for Jagz.

Try typing it in on a search engine i.e. google, yahoo.
Excellent news Jagz, not only can you get an increase of 80 horses while doing the simple install of a few wire, but for a couple of hundred bucks you can add an electric Supercharger!!!

They're all crap, if you see one that requires you to send in your ECM it might actually be real, the rest are snake oil salesman.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:52 PM

That supercharged Jag is horrendous looking... except for the engine bay. Wonder how many transfer cases those extra 110hp cost him in the long run?

Old 07-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Performance chips are very inexpensive and I have yet to read a review where it damaged a person's car...I am just curious to if they really work.
Like somene else said, the performance chip question has been asked on here probably as long as the forum has been around. Spend a day searching on here and chances are any chip that you found on the internet has been talked about in this forum. Unless you have a lot of money to spend to fabricate something one off...a LOT of money....you will find you don't have any options to increase the horsepower on the X to any significant degree. If you find something that no one on here has uncovered in the last nine years you will be revered as a god. In the end just enjoy it for what it is. Just trying to save you a lot of time and disappointment and not trying to burst your bubble.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

no chips for this car mate...

Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 AM

I had this same question. I know most the chips on the internet are jun. A friend of mine knows someone who could custom program a chip and charges $400..I'm not sure if I'm going for it tho,kinda skeptical.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackXBlackX
I had this same question. I know most the chips on the internet are jun. A friend of mine knows someone who could custom program a chip and charges $400..I'm not sure if I'm going for it tho,kinda skeptical.
I recall Arden used to offer a service where they offered an upgrade chip/ custom programing for the x type. I would assume Arden's claims were legit. So by inference, if Arden offered a legit performance upgrade chip/programing, then such a chip/performance upgrade is possible.

The reason I say chip/programing is because I don't recall if Arden replace the factory chip or simply re-programmed the existing one. Theoretically they should be the same. You either update the firmware on an existing chip or replace it with one with the new firmware.

In general, any device (i.e. X Type in this case), where the performance is determined by firmware can be/should have a means to change the program parameters to change the performance characteristics. I am guessing Jaguar went with a certain optimization and Arden and others offer other configurations. BUT I would be highly suspect of programs that claim to improve power, gas mileage and durability. At best you choose 2 and give up one. That is UNLESS the original program on the chip was sloppy.

My 2 cents

Old 07-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by exexpat
That bloody motor is bonkers, mate!

Minus the wheels, aero kit and taillights, it would be a beautiful car. And yes, I know it was built in the early 2000's, but I would have said the same thing 7 or 8 years ago, too.
Everytime I see your car I think Jaguar should have made a Type X R that borrowed styling cues from your modifications with a super charged engine. I think it would have given an edge to the brand that it so badly needs.

The grill, the lowering, the rims the body kit and even the gills on the side look so distinctive yet very Jaguar at the same time!

It's so well put together than even accessories like the bike rack look cool

Your x is now a legend in my books.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aluni2230
Everytime I see your car I think Jaguar should have made a Type X R that borrowed styling cues from your modifications with a super charged engine. I think it would have given an edge to the brand that it so badly needs.

The grill, the lowering, the rims the body kit and even the gills on the side look so distinctive yet very Jaguar at the same time!

It's so well put together than even accessories like the bike rack look cool

Your x is now a legend in my books.
Thank you. I try not to do things that look overtly out of place in order to be custom. Now only if Jaguar would hire me on as a consultant like Land Rover did with Victoria Beckham or Intel with Will I Am.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by exexpat
Thank you. I try not to do things that look overtly out of place in order to be custom. Now only if Jaguar would hire me on as a consultant like Land Rover did with Victoria Beckham or Intel with Will I Am.
Apparently Mrs. Becks did a pretty good job with the Evoque...

Old 08-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Hi exepat what type of wheels are they on your car what brand ? Thank you

Old 08-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Toby
Hi exepat what type of wheels are they on your car what brand ? Thank you
They are Coventry Whitley wheels in 18x9.5" with Kumho Ecsta 215/35/18. I had Inland Wheel in California also machine 3mm off the wheel backpads to produce a 28mm offset then spaced the rears 5mm to achieve even wheel to fender lip spacing.

Everything was measured to the millimeter and NASA scientists often come visit my house to calibrate their instruments.

Quick Reply: Performance Chip for my Jag