X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance upgrade questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Performance upgrade questions.

I was posting an issue about my front lamp housing when I saw this ad on the top of the forum
JAGUAR X-TYPE GF Peformance Chip

I have a '03 2.5L Sport with 62k miles on it.
Has anyone used this particular chip? Does it work? Is it safe for the car?

I'd also like to get this exhaust upgrade as well.

Jaguar X-Type Performance Exhaust for Jaguar X-Type

Does anyone have these? I'm new to this so I'm asking for your expert advice.

In total, it would bring the car up to about 280hp

Let me know what you guys think.

~Kory

Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

So the biggest problem about "waking the car up" is that the 3.0 has practically maxed out the usable torque limit on the transfer case. By buying the x type you have sorta been condemned to running everything stock. I have looked many times at making my car faster, but the transfer case is really only rated at about 250 ft lbs before it blows up, so if you mess with the engine, expect to change out the transfer case.

Also, the most you will see with exhaust is 15 hp at best and I wouldn't buy the chip because it sorta sounds like a scam. Chips work on turboed cars very well because they come from the factory running with the best fuel efficiency, so you can mess with the turbo maps and boost and such to get more power. Jaguar has already tuned to car to get a LOT of horsepower and low end torque out of such a small displacement engine, so I wouldn't expect groundbreaking gains, if any, from a "chip."

actually, i googled the company and found a review:
"sean, i bought 3 chips from these guys. no difference in performance or mileage. same story as you,calls to tech dept. blah blah blah, today, i took one of them apart, and found out why they don’t work, they are fake, the chip in the middle of the circuit board is doing nothing, the traces and solder joints on the board is all fake. the red and black wire go into the housing, solder to the board and the rest is all fake. it cannot do anything for your vehicle. i’ve called them. we’ll see if i get a refund."

The verdict: So what does this all mean? You can try to make your 2.5 run with the benchmarks of the 3.0, or you can just decide to get a 3.0 in the beginning and realize that the biggest tax on the xtypes performance potential is the weakness of its transfer case.

Last edited by disguay; 05-21-2012 at 06:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Boss_Fury (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Default Thanks!

That's a shame.
Well thank you for your help.

I will still probably get the exhaust upgrade, I wanna know what it sounds like.
I love the purr of the jag, if it could sound the same but just a few decibels louder that would be sexy.

I am going to look up an jag with these particular exhaust tips on them and hear how they sound.

Edit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-60dV1O_lqU

Last edited by Boss_Fury; 05-21-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added video
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by disguay
actually, i googled the company and found a review:
"...i took one of them apart, and found out why they don’t work, they are fake, the chip in the middle of the circuit board is doing nothing, the traces and solder joints on the board is all fake. the red and black wire go into the housing, solder to the board and the rest is all fake. it cannot do anything for your vehicle. i’ve called them. we’ll see if i get a refund."
Lot's of people are wary of the claims made by the vendor of those chips, but if they are as described as above, that really goes far, far beyond inflating the capabilities. It is worth less than nothing.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

There a couple of companies in the UK that re-map the car using a rolling road (dyno) and claim to get about 18-20bhp more out the engine, you really are on the edge of getting everything out of the engine at that point. If you can get a full exhaust with exhaust manifolds and sport cats, this should be quite a gain as the x-type has quite badly restricted exhaust system. The S-Type has the same engine and has 9bhp more than the X-Type 3.0L.

One of these companies has just gone bust, went by the name of Paramount performance, the remap was £450.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the mina exhaust with the quad tips. I love them!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>The S-Type has the same engine and has 9bhp more than the X-Type 3.0L.

Ya, too bad it weighs 500 lbs more than an X-Type...

I was actually thinking about replacing my X-Type with an S-Type but decided that a heavier car with the same engine just didn't make much sense

now an S-Type R on the other hand... =:-0
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 05-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,922 Likes on 3,222 Posts

Boss Fury, first off, installing those two mods alone is not going to wake the motor up to 280 hp. I do not care what the manufacturers claim. I find normally with modifications like this if you take half of what they claim, you are much closer to the actual gains. But, like was also mentioned, the transfer case is your limiting component. You can easily make the motor get up to the "280hp mark". The motor will handle it all day long. As for the transfer case. Well, that is a different story. You can bump up the power, but if you intend on using it, plan on a string of new transfer cases.

As for the Mina Exhaust system. I have installed 2 of them. Piece of cake to install. Takes about an hour to install. You take a Sawzall to the mufflers, cutting the pipe just upstream of the weld into the muffler. Remove the muffler from the car. Slide the new Mina muffler on to the pipe (do not tighten down). Slide the muffler on to the hanger. Position the muffler where you want it to be. Tighten down the clamp on the exhaust pipe. Repeat for other side. All done. As for gains from this, I would say the gains are in the 10 hp range, if that. Different sound, but not much in the way of power gains.

If you want to know more, let me know.

The following users liked this post:
Boss_Fury (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Thermo,
Thanks for your input.
i'd love to hear how the exhaust system sounds on your car.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 07-19-2012, 06:13 AM
sie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotta say that sound awsome