X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipe installment help asap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 11:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Pipe installment help asap!!!

Hi everyone, I have a 2004 jaguar xtype there is a coolant leak and its coming from the water inlet pipe the part number is C2S18895 currently I have a pipe that has been customly made and it is abit too short
the person that add the short one when he was taking the orginal one out he bent the part that is bolted on to the water pump so I ordered a new one from the dealer and it seems to be too long not sure if it should be like that?
Maybe I am not installing it right? So would anyone know or have any tips that can help me?
P.S I did call the dealer and tell them they said that the water spout -part number is AJ85555
has shrinked or that the manufrature has made a mistake.
Here are some pictures of the pipes

Custom / New

Bent / New

Old 06-18-2023, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by HELP
Hi everyone, I have a 2004 jaguar xtype there is a coolant leak and its coming from the water inlet pipe the part number is C2S18895 currently I have a pipe that has been customly made and it is abit too short
the person that add the short one when he was taking the orginal one out he bent the part that is bolted on to the water pump so I ordered a new one from the dealer and it seems to be too long not sure if it should be like that?
Maybe I am not installing it right? So would anyone know or have any tips that can help me?
P.S I did call the dealer and tell them they said that the water spout -part number is AJ85555
has shrinked or that the manufrature has made a mistake.
Here are some pictures of the pipes

Custom / New

Bent / New

Spoiler

@Thermo would you have any ideas?

Old 06-19-2023, 07:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

HELP, I guess I would start wtih loosening up some bolts on the end where the o-ring attaches. IT may be that you just simply need to get it slid together before bolting it down. The next thing that I would try is a little bit of vasiline on the o-ring area to help the o-ring slide once it is installed. It may just need a little bit of assistance getting seated all the way, especially because the old pipe didn't sit all the way and you may have some gunk in the pipe blocking it a bit. AFter that, kinda coming up short. Kinda wish I still lived in the PNW. I would take a drive and come help you.. Granted, me and Vancouver never seemed to agree with each other. Been there twice, got the camera stolen out of the back seat of my car the first time I was there. The second time, returned home to be woken up by the police to find out my car had the stereo taken from it. Maybe just dumb luck.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
HELP, I guess I would start wtih loosening up some bolts on the end where the o-ring attaches. IT may be that you just simply need to get it slid together before bolting it down. The next thing that I would try is a little bit of vasiline on the o-ring area to help the o-ring slide once it is installed. It may just need a little bit of assistance getting seated all the way, especially because the old pipe didn't sit all the way and you may have some gunk in the pipe blocking it a bit. AFter that, kinda coming up short. Kinda wish I still lived in the PNW. I would take a drive and come help you.. Granted, me and Vancouver never seemed to agree with each other. Been there twice, got the camera stolen out of the back seat of my car the first time I was there. The second time, returned home to be woken up by the police to find out my car had the stereo taken from it. Maybe just dumb luck.
I called the dealer from where I got the pipe from they said they will send over a new one tm maby the manufracter made a mistake
if not I will try your method of lossening it up I did put vasiline and grease on it to help it slide in but no luck still. I will keep you updated.

yeah I guess its just luck lol, lived here for 17years and just recently my dad's car got broken into he didn't mange to steal anything though I came outside in time but he ran away, were you in downtown area? Common place for cars being broken into from what I have heard lol

Old 06-22-2023, 01:12 AM

@Thermo So I got the second new part from the dealer today and it was shoter than the first one but still abit big, I just relized that
the one the guy took off is short. So then the part I have gotten from the dealer today is the right size but its off by just a little abit
the bolts dont go on it staright, there is like a ~35-45 angle to it. When I am instering the pipe it seems like its not passing the inner circle ( when feeling the circle on the bottom of it its more up if you know what I mean)
in the water spout where the O-ring needs to sit I tried to hammer it, pry it forward but still nothing it moved slightly abit but not alot to make
a difference. Is there a method of installing it or is it just grease the end and push it in? I am very lost right now!!! Two things I am going to do tomorrow

1. the new pipe I will sand down the end of it so it can go over the inner circle
or
2. cut the two old pipes:
First cut would be where the bolts go on leaving a few inches, one is good the other is bent, so the good one I will cut
Second cut will be the other pipe abit longer than the other one I will have it fit all the way like it should
then leave 2 inches or smt of length and cut. After I have it cut out and all I will mark and cut a hose that are used
in semi trucks because they handle the pressure and heat better, my dad has some in his truck.
With the hose I will then clamp to each end of the pipes I have cut and.......
done custom made pipe

Old 06-22-2023, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

HELP, sounds like you are off by say a 1/8" or so. I would say to try and file the end of the pipe (near the o-ring, but remove the o-ring first). Shorten the pipe there, but do not file into the o-ring groove. See if that gives you the length that you need. You can then take the longer pipe and cut out an inch in the middle like you are thinking and put in a small piece of rubber hose with hose clamps.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
HELP, sounds like you are off by say a 1/8" or so. I would say to try and file the end of the pipe (near the o-ring, but remove the o-ring first). Shorten the pipe there, but do not file into the o-ring groove. See if that gives you the length that you need. You can then take the longer pipe and cut out an inch in the middle like you are thinking and put in a small piece of rubber hose with hose clamps.
hey @Thermo I got it I used a sanding machine and shortened the front of it it fits and lines up now its time put everything back on it and take it for a drive hopefully the leak has stopped.

Old 06-22-2023, 04:56 PM
Veteran member

i wish you luck. The big thing will be making sure that you left the edges smooth so you do not cut the o-ring. But, by sanding, most of your worries should have been taken care of.

The following users liked this post:
HELP (06-22-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 05:33 PM
Received 98 Likes on 63 Posts

Just FWIW, do not use Vaseline for anything rubber. It's a petroleum product and will attack O-rings and the like. I use a silicone grease (which, however, cannot be used on silicone-rubber).