Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli P6000 Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Pirelli P6000 Tyres

if you don't get much snow (you said it has been 10 years since the last snow) I would save the money and just dive like an old woman when it snows every 10 years.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  6.0 KB

Ahhh thanks jvegas, someone finally gets the point...lol
To be honest for all the snow we get, you don't even have to drive like an old woman, just with care and attention.
I live in Scotland and we get wayyy more snow and ice than the south of England thats for sure and I'm still alive to tell the tale.

Jim

Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

The old women drivers around here pay no mind to snow, ice, rain, ect. They are terrible all year round. I had my mailbox taken out last year by an elderly lady driving a Crown Vic about 60mph on a 25mph street in the driving rain. I don't think she even noticed my mailbox jammed in her grille as she sped up the street.

No word on whether or not P6000's werethe culprit.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 84
Views: 85
Views: 87

ORIGINAL: Chris X

The old women drivers around here pay no mind to snow, ice, rain, ect. They are terrible all year round. I had my mailbox taken out last year by an elderly lady driving a Crown Vic about 60mph on a 25mph street in the driving rain. I don't think she even noticed my mailbox jammed in her grille as she sped up the street.

No word on whether or not P6000's werethe culprit.
Lol........nice one Chrisx
You still gettin your mail ok??

Jim

Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 89
Views: 89
Views: 78
Views: 83

Jeeesh, talk about driving a man to drink[&:]

Bo, we all get the fact that you cannot go from A - B in a car unless it has snow tyres.....ever thought thats maybe down to your driving skills?
If we in the Uk are likened to Lemmings, does that mean that you should be likened to sheep...Because someone says so, and because some people use snow tyres , you do too?
We ALL know that you have a sincere and distinct love of snow tyres, we get it, HONEST......now can we move on?
PLZZZZ!

Jim

Old 01-08-2009, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does seems that Jaguar owners in the US see the problem different to the UK.

If you put Pirelli P6000 in a search engine you will find a vast amount of references to the whole Jaguar X-type, S type and XJ range uses or hasbeen specified withPirelli P6000's. Many tyre suppliers in the UKrefer to the P6000 as all-weather. I know there are designated winter tyres but all-weather in my dictionary does include 1/2 inch of snow! They are referred to as one of the most popular tyres on the road in the UK. As I have said I have driven since 1967 on a huge variety of cars from the humble mini to BMW, Mercedes Benz and even aTVR Tuscanand the deterioration of these in the snow caught me by surprise.

I think I will cross my fingers for the next few weeks and in the Spring see if I can find an AWD Jaguar - hopefully with something other than Pirelli's underfoot!!

warm regards from fortunately nowa non-snowy UK.( well outside my window at least!)

Ray

P.S. Just called into my local tyre supplier, STS or Stapeltons andthe managerconfirmed that he did not stock any winter tyres and if I wanted some they would be special order from Pirelli. He knew of no specific problem with P6000's - they were a well-established tyre that had been around for a few years. He was saying that the softer rubber mix ( which also warms faster)was on winter tyres rather than a specifictread pattern. But I guess this goes to show how the drivers and the car manufacturersviews adverse weather in the UKcompared withthose in the US ( and northern Europe)who have a summer and winter set of tyres which they alternate.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 86
Views: 94

ORIGINAL: bojangles

ORIGINAL: JimC64

Views: 86
Views: 94

Jeeesh, talk about driving a man to drink[&:]

Bo, we all get the fact that you cannot go from A - B in a car unless it has snow tyres.....ever thought thats maybe down to your driving skills?
If we in the Uk are likened to Lemmings, does that mean that you should be likened to sheep...Because someone says so, and because some people use snow tyres , you do too?
We ALL know that you have a sincere and distinct love of snow tyres, we get it, HONEST......now can we move on?
PLZZZZ!

Jim
I wont stop especially since you still dont get the point. I am probably someone who COULD drive with low traction tires.. I have a whole lot of experience with low traction driving.
What drives me crazy is that there are peopleout there that dont have any common sense about this. your car is only connected to the road by the tires. The drivetrain only connects the power of the engine to the tires.

Just because there are plenty of people out there that are brainwashed by the automotive service industry about tires, is no excuse to forgetting the most basic of highschool physics.

I only say that you should have snow tires for snow.... and summer tires for summer. I say you MUST in the sense that it is a total pain that the entire coutryside is held up on snowy days by those who venture out without proper equipment. It is just selfish and mean to go out there without reasonabletraction.

I am not a sheep, clearly, I try to lead with technical force.. not with a wishy washy salesperson attitude that prevails. That to me is sheepish.

Lol...Bo, I get the point. Its you that do not get the point.
You live in a climate with extreme weather conditions and need snow tyres, we do not. A good quality all weather tyre such as Pirelli with good tread is more than sufficient for what we have to deal with generally speaking. That coupled with good sense and good driving skills is more than adequate.
I'm sure if we had the amount of snow that you guys had and as often we too would use snow tyres.
As per Langdales eidted post - I couln't even begin to tell you where we could get snow tyres here in the Uk, as there just isn't a call for them to anywhere near the same degree. You obviously know better that the 60m people who currently live in the Uk.
As for my " wishy washy salesperson attitude" ( I laughed, I really did ) would that be as opposed to your " scientific - engineering backgound attitude that allows you to know it all, and berate others for not doing as you do, or as you believe they should do. The same attitude that has corrected countless people on this forum for spelling and grammar mistakes? Its called " live and let live"
As individuals people will make their own judgements differently about just about everything, you need to learn to deal with that.
Suffice to say with no prejudice that you have your opinion and I have mine.
I'd rather just agree to differ and move on to the next topic although I'm sure you will go on and on and on about it as is your nature.

Jim

Old 01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

I get your point, Bo. The question really, as I see it,is not what tires one needs but, may be when to drive and when not to drive based upon how your vehicle is equipped. It wouldn't be economically prudent for someone who encounters sufficient snow to make driving treacherous,ONCEEVERY 10YEARS, to invest in snow tires. However it is foolhardy, selfish and dangerousonTHAT day, when ones vehicle isn'tproperly equipped to deal with the conditions, to venture out onto the freeways.

Kinda like if I were to consider driving my Kitty 20 miles through water4 1/2feet deep. While I'm sure I could adapt my driving skillsto the conditions, my car would not be equipped for those conditions. I could reconsider and take alternate actions suchreconfiguring my car's chassis, suspension, intake system, etc to be able to handle the conditions. But just for that day it seems cost prohibitive. I could drive a alternate vehicle better equipped to handle said conditions(including a canoe).Or, perhaps even stay home. If everyone in my community all tried it, the roadway would be a mess, strewn with waterlogged vehicles simply because we all tried to drive in conditions that our vehicles were not well equipped for.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 87
Views: 82

Well Bo, suffice to say I'm not surprised at yet another rant from you. With your overbearing attitude that means you no doubt lecture all and sundry about all things in everyday life with your know it all attitude, I'm sure that friends are at a premium.
You mentioned in your reply about being negative. You are without doubt one of the most negative people I have come accross. You're negative about the Jaguar brand, the dealerships, the vehicles, America and its people, as well as having a serious intolerance of some peoples spelling difficulties to name but a few!
You are egotistical in the extreme with any point of view that YOU put across as it MUSTbe right, because, well, you are after all you.
We are foolish, selfish etc for not using snow tyres and essentially cause delays and possible danger to others - You in your extreme wisdom however, as posted in the Q about brakes thread in reply to Buck said "MY brakes still sucked and I drove with Crappy brakes for a year!!!!!" If that isn't just downright stupid and dangerous I don't know what is?
"there are people here who drive on their snow tires all summer long.. they get the same wrath of poor traction lectures from me." OMGG - I can't speak for Canada, but over here, with that attitude you wouldn't last five minutes!
You would spend a lot of time either on your *** or in the hospital I can assure you.
The subject of snow tyres and spelling obviously do it for you - some of us have lives outwith those subjects!

Consider this topic now closed as it is at the point of getting personal ( as I have seen you do many times before )
In the event that you wish to further this discussion, feel free to pm me

Jim