X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help!!

my 2001 x-type drives lovely and suddenly the powertrain malfunction light comes on and it goes into limp home mode so i stop turn off the engine, wait a few seconds and restart the engine and it drives fine again. it came up with codes p1344....P1642 CAN Link Circuit
P1638 CAN Link ECM/INSTM Circuit/Network does anyone know what these are??? where do i look?? i dont know what to do, i need to know what these mean so i dont get ripped off by a dodgey mechanic!!!!

(the bloke who pulled these codes told me i'd probably have to get a new gearbox!! but i think he's wrong...)

Old 12-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Vikki, have a shop check out your throttle body sensors. It sounds like those are giving you hell and causing all your issues. it is a somewhat common problem with our cars. Unfortunately, a new throttlebody isn't a cheap fix. A new one through the dealership is like $1100 USD. Oh, you want it installed, that is more. Hence why I say to have a mechanic diagnose it first. A local jaguar dealership should get you diagnosed for a small fee.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks thermo, thats very helpful because the mechanic i saw told me i needed a new transmission!!! i thought, no wayyy.....
thank you so much!!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vikki,
Change mechanics. These codes don't seem to relate to the gearbox at all, so why he's telling you that I can't imagine.
p1344 refers to a misfire during start... This could be a faulty sparkplug (when were they last changed ... platinum plugs every 70,000 miles... though a faulty plug could develop sooner) the other codes p1638 and p1642 seem to refer to a 'CAN LINK CIRCUIT' malfunction (whatever a can link circuit is) it could be sensor related... ie a faulty sensor or two.

Whatever you do don't panic into parting with $bucks$.
I would get the battery checked out... might sound strange... but on these cars (and I suspect many modern cars with lots of electronics) a faulty battery can and does often lead to some spurious OBD codes. If the battery is faulty then it will need changing sooner or later. Get the codes cleared and drive it around for a day or three and see if they return (sometimes a spike in the electrical circuit current can cause some odd codes).

If the problem persists then the codes are likely to indicate a problem.
a faulty plug or two, maybe even a coil... each plug has an individual coil on these cars.

here are two links that may really be worth chasing up:

Ask a mechanic free:
http://www.freeautomechanic.com/

Ask a mechanic (a small charge for this):

http://www.justanswer.com/car/uk/mec...FWlr4wodbx7wrg

Good luck in sorting your problem

Mike

Old 12-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

This is one of those cases where you WANT to take it to a dealer for diagnosis and repair. This problem can be from an ECU, a harness, or the instrument panel. The dealer has the info needed to make an informed diagnostic because they get to see the same problems over time, whereas the corner mechanic may not see another Jag for years, let alone the same model. You also need to know the problem will be fixed without a lot of unnecessary and expensive part changing. This problem can stem from a simple loose electrical connection to a failed ECU or panel. Do you really feel like replacing the transmission and find out you still have the problem but not your money? Good luck.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you need a throttle body i got two good used ones for sale. just pm me.