X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help anyone

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010 | 04:08 PM
|
Default Please help anyone

2004 xtype 3.0 95,000miles. The Last month or so ive had problems starting my car. every now and then it wont start ill let it sit for a little while then it will start. other times i turn the key it pauses for a second then turns over, or it will idle rough then stall and not start or it will start, idle rough then a min or 2 ill hear like a electrical clicking noiset then the rough idling will go away and check engine light will come on, but before i can i get it scanned the check engine light will go away and this crazy cycle of events wont happen for another week or so once a week i go thru this Please help anyone

Old 06-17-2010 | 07:12 PM
Veteran member

1stun, when you say that the car won't start, are you saying that the motor will not turn over or are you saying that the engine rotates, but will not fire? These can lead down two completely different roads in the way of things to look at.

If the motor is not turning over (ie, rotating), then I would venture to guess that your starter relay is acting up and that needs to be looked at. If you need more info on this, let me know. If that doesn't fix it, then let me know and we will get you going from there.

If the motor is rotating but not firing, first check the fuel pressure. Lets eliminate a fuel problem. Our X's seem to have a problem with fuel pumps and that can cause all the things that you are seeing. You should be able to rent (for free normally) a fuel pressure gauge at a local auto parts store. Then you can connect it up (screws on to what looks like a tire valve stem but on the fuel rail-shiny silver pipes on top of the engine) to the fuel rail and with the key in the RUN position but the engine not spinning, you should get between 40-50 psi of fuel. With the engine running it should be around 30-40 psi. If you put the key into RUN and the engine will not fire and your fuel pressure is below 40 psi, then you have a fuel pump problem. Let me know and we will take it from there.

Hopefully this gets you going in the right direction.

Oh yeah, just because the check engine light is off, the codes are still in the computer. So, get them read and see what the codes are saying. That will also give us a lot better idea of what is wrong with the car and help solve your issue

Old 06-17-2010 | 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
If the motor is not turning over (ie, rotating), then I would venture to guess that your starter relay is acting up and that needs to be looked at. If you need more info on this, let me know. If that doesn't fix it, then let me know and we will get you going from there.
At six years old, if the battery hasn't been replaced yet, I'd try that first. In fact, I'd try that even before doing any other diagnostics on the car, just because it's due.

Old 06-18-2010 | 09:34 AM
|

the motor turns over jus doesn't fire also the battery was changed less than two years ago , quick note my water pump will ne replaced this weekend cuzz it's leaking nit sure if that's related, I had a fuel issue a few months ago I tho it was the fuel pump but I had the Fuel pump tested it was fine ended up being the fuel filter,.. this problem is weird maybe once a week it will not fire or sometimes it will start up idle very rough then stall then not fire up for a little while or it will start idle rough then maybe a minute or 2 of it make like a electrical clicking noise and the rough idle will go away and it will idle normal check engine light will go on but after 3-4 cold starts check engine light go away, and the vicious cycle starts over a week later , I had the car scanned , but found no codes stored, but I can never get it scanned with CEL on, always after it shut off I'm Lost ,, thank u guys so much for takin time to help I really appriciate it

Old 06-18-2010 | 09:53 AM

Check to see if the battery cables are tight, and with clean terminals.

Old 06-18-2010 | 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by rothe
At six years old, if the battery hasn't been replaced yet, I'd try that first. In fact, I'd try that even before doing any other diagnostics on the car, just because it's due.
I'd second that. I had the same issue and my negative battery cable was completely corroded. So had to replace the battery and cables. Worked fine after.