X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible turbo fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking possible turbo fault

hi folks, 1st off let me appologise for being a total noob to mechanics.
My 2005 x-type although being driven prior in the day after watching my sons football match the car refused to start so the AA were called out to get it sorted, He tested the battery and said it had collapsed internally so replaced it and she fired up but was running like the proverbial bag o poop.
He put the diag unit on but it's returning no fault, he seems to think the elec's have gone on the turbo, can anyone tell me the name of the unit i need to replace or a part number.
Any help will be greatly recieved as like i say i'm mechanically challange and generally bleed just by poppin the bonnet

Old 10-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by porto-steve
hi folks, 1st off let me appologise for being a total noob to mechanics.
My 2005 x-type although being driven prior in the day after watching my sons football match the car refused to start so the AA were called out to get it sorted, He tested the battery and said it had collapsed internally so replaced it and she fired up but was running like the proverbial bag o poop.
He put the diag unit on but it's returning no fault, he seems to think the elec's have gone on the turbo, can anyone tell me the name of the unit i need to replace or a part number.
Any help will be greatly recieved as like i say i'm mechanically challange and generally bleed just by poppin the bonnet
ummm....I didn't think there was an x type with a turbo?...unless is it a diesel perhaps?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by zoolander
ummm....I didn't think there was an x type with a turbo?...unless is it a diesel perhaps?
yeah sorry tis a 2.0 tdi estate x-type

Old 10-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Default part

Right have now been told that it's the "Jaguar X-Type Turbo 2.0D Turbocharger Electronic Actuator 728680" thats the problem, fubar'd means it will run poorly, if at all and the glowplug light will flash as this is also the electrical warning light that tells you it's in limp mode to prevent further dammage.
This fits my syptoms so now to try n find 1

Old 10-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Thumbs down not so simple

The saga continues, just had the car diag tested and the actuator is'nt throwing any codes out, the only code thats coming up even after being cleared,is it repeats the code that the timing is out.I am told to check this is'nt going to be cheap, On the mondeo TDCI/Jaguar x-type or puma engine as mine is it means theres alot of parts to be removed before you get to the timing chain(a fact that you guys will already know).
what ever happend to the days when you could rip a cigarette packet up n set gaps and pull a cover off and line notches up within an hour to set the timing up, Hey ho look out wallet

Last edited by porto-steve; 10-15-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What kind of battery did you put in? Was it a cheap replacement or a top of the line? These cars are very susceptible to electrical problems if everything is not perfect. I would consider a different battery maybe.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by chknhwk
What kind of battery did you put in? Was it a cheap replacement or a top of the line? These cars are very susceptible to electrical problems if everything is not perfect. I would consider a different battery maybe.
yeah the AA fitted correct battery for car according to manufactures code, was'nt cheap at 106.oo pounds but like you say the car runs a whole lot of electrics whilst driving and a cheap 40.00 pound special wont last a year where as i have a 3 year AA guarantee on the 1 fitted .

Last edited by porto-steve; 10-17-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Hey Porto-Steve - I don't have any tech tidbits for you, but putting your year/engine combo in your sig may save you some extra posts. Probably more important for you to do this since very few people on here own the diesel.

Can you post the actual code numbers?

Old 10-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hi i have he same problem and still don't have it fixed the only difference with mine is that if i switch the ignition on and off it clears itself till next time my car is x type 2.0 diesel 53 plate

Old 10-22-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by pegasus3710
hi i have he same problem and still don't have it fixed the only difference with mine is that if i switch the ignition on and off it clears itself till next time my car is x type 2.0 diesel 53 plate
got a guy comming out to fix next week,It's down to 2 possible causes
1) one of the cog's within the timing belt system that is held in place by 3 grub screws works itself loose
2) fuel pump to the injectors is shot.
both jobs have a booktime of around 4 hours to strip n fix, timing belt is a pig to get to and the pump is situated on front of engine and requires the rad to be removed to get the pump out.
Mine is an 05 x-type sports estate running on the ford mondeo TDCI engine that they also use in the van.
had alot of poor advice from diagnostic's and mechanics wanting 8+ hours to fix
If yours is the same fault as mine hope these pointers speed things up for you pegasus m8

Last edited by porto-steve; 10-22-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Default on and on and on

ok today the mechanic came out to sort the cursed jag out, He used a manufaturers lvl diagnostic check on it and it now has nothing to do with the cam timing.
The fault code is P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction, found a very usefull link on these forums http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2856...7-pm-926k?da=y
Faults described on this page fit my problems to a T, parts will be fitted on monday and fingers crossed this long winded simple fix problem will be over...what a journey

Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sweet, good luck! I'm still waiting on money for a transfer case for mine. :-/

Old 06-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Default turbo issue on jag x-type 2004 d

can anyone help us? ive had my jag for 7 weeks, and when i got it i noticed i had turbo lag about 2500 to 2600 rpm and if you really give it some it would then start doing it about 3500rpm on and off. about 2 weeks ago it totally went. and engine management light came on. called rac out, which plug it in and came up with fault on solenoid valve A. which works out to be the vacuum solenoid for the wastegate on the turbo. but after speaking to a few garages they reckon that prob int the issue..???????. so ive done a few test myself ive tested voltage through to the connectors on the solenoid which are fine. main vacumm pipe is working fine sucking like a goodin, shame the mrs in like that.. sorry side tracked..!! but yeah it seem to be doing what it should do..! does anyone know what else maybe it could be, before i start bursting loads of money into it meaning price of solenoid valves aren't cheap and where im from also seem to be like gold dust to get... NOTE, the actuator seems to be working fine and opening ok on the suck test of pipe.. thanks