X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A post - broken wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 07:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A post - broken wires

How do I access the wiring that passes between the a post and the drivers door as I have probably got two broken wires in there for the operation of the drivers door lock? is it a case of de-wiring the door and passing them back through towards the a post or is there another way.

Certainly if I flex the rubber boot covered wires here then the drivers door lock randomly operates. Anyone been in here before to repair this?

Thanks.
Tom

Old 03-03-2024, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

Before taking on the miserable job of running new wiring, you might like to examine the internal condition of the multi-pin connectors in that rubber sheathing between the door and the A pillar. The two knurled caps release the bayonet connectors.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by astromorg
Before taking on the miserable job of running new wiring, you might like to examine the internal condition of the multi-pin connectors in that rubber sheathing between the door and the A pillar. The two knurled caps release the bayonet connectors.
Thanks for that Astromorg, I only undid the top one and didn't see any pins at all in there, I'll investigate properly soon.

Regards
Tom

Old 03-07-2024, 05:06 PM
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tomhannah
How do I access the wiring that passes between the a post and the drivers door as I have probably got two broken wires in there for the operation of the drivers door lock? is it a case of de-wiring the door and passing them back through towards the a post or is there another way.

Certainly if I flex the rubber boot covered wires here then the drivers door lock randomly operates. Anyone been in here before to repair this?

Thanks.
Tom
tom, I've fought this issue before. My experience ultimately lead me to replace the entire door harness as the damage wasn't just one wire. Once the harness gets damaged, you may find that it's then rubbing on other wires inside the boot, fraying more and more wires in the process. If you luck out, great! If not the whole harness can come out of the door without removing the window mech or the door off it's hinges. Fiddly sure but less of a pain than trying to solder in the gap between the door skin and the interior.