X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem

Okay so i got my HID's in. but the problem is that the left hand side one does not want to light up.

It was lighting up at first, but now nothing.
I cut off the connector that was connected to the yellow and brown wires. The HID's have one blue and one black. Im assuming its yellow to blue, and brown to black right? If i can get some help on the wiring here it'll be appreciated. I read almost all the post on the FAQ headlight section and nothing clear and detailed was said.

And if its a blown fuse, what number are the ones for the headlights so i can check. thanks!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes, brown is the negative or ground so you would connect that to the black. It sounds like you did everything right but you might have bought one of those cheap HID kits. Maybe from Ebay? Theres nothing wrong with buying the cheap kits, but they have a much higher fail rate than more expensive HID kits. I've had at least 3 cheapo kits arrive at my house with bad ballasts. A bad ballast is most likely the problem. Contact the seller and see what they say.

As for a blown fuse, I don't know what number it is so check in your manual.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:16 PM

thanks for the response. I got the DDM kit from DDM tuning that was reccomended to me here. I doubt its the HID tho. Have to test the wires i guess see if theyre putting out electricity.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey Czar,

Did you swap bulbs? To see if its a bad ballast?

I have changed out a few ballast and did HID fogs on the x-type but im not a electric pro so bare with me.

I found that my ground was not exactly ground. I took the HID ballast, Ran the positive to the positive terminal on the battery directly, then ground wire to the negative terminal on the battery and wala, it lit up. Then I had my buddy hold the positive on the battery, I then put the ground to where it was screwed to the frame, and no go. I took a little screw driver to scratch a little where the grouns was screwed to, Screwed it back on and it lit up. It was not getting a good contact.

It could be array of things, but just wanted to help ya out.

"Thermo" is the go-to guy for the mind boggling car troubles if your stuck Czar.

- Dave

Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 PM

Okay after 15 hours of troubleshooting (lol) i finally fixed it. After all it was like a said it was a blown fuse. I wish i would of taken alot of pics because i know i wanted some when i was looking for help! thanks for the help tho guys appreciate it.