X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem differential

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019 | 04:42 AM
|
Default Problem differential

i have a problem with the front differential the car works is functional but you can hear the sound from the differential i think like some bearing is in question.
it is an x-type 2.5 v6 2002 j. manual gearbox
so if someone has had similar experiences please ask for help.

Last edited by GGG; 10-18-2019 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 10-18-2019 | 05:10 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forums JS. BOJAN,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Centre to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 10-18-2019 | 08:13 AM
Veteran member

JS. Bojan, what you are describing sounds like your transfer case is failing. A lot of people describe it as a box of rocks getting tossed around whenever you move the car. Unfortunately, you have 2 options as I see it. You can spend the money on a brand new transfer case and get it installed (run you $3-4K (USD) to have done or you will need to find a wrecking yard and buy the transfer case there and have that put int. I guess there is a third option, but this will be questionable (based on the condition of your case) since it is known that the transfer case can split and becomes unusable. The issue comes down to when the transfer cases were built. They had too much preload put on the bearings and this caused them to see too much stress. Over time, they failed. You just happen to get one where the pre-load was probably on the low side and it managed to last for a long time.

If you are looking at getting a new transfer case from a wrecking yard, please be aware that there are 2 different versions of the transfer case. In short, one has a viscous coupling in it (the one you have) and the other style does not. Both will bolt into the car and work just fine during normal road conditions. But, when you want the AWD to function, this is where the difference is dramatic. In short, with the viscous coupled transfer case, as the front and rear wheel speeds start to differ, there is a thick liquid that will start slowing down the end of the car that is moving too fast and transfer that power to the other end of the car. This way, you always have a front wheel and a rear wheel giving you traction. In the style without the viscous coupling, it is an open differential. So, when all wheels are moving at the same speed, they all get the same amount of power. But, once a wheel starts slipping and moving faster, it tends to rob the power from the other 3 wheels, making it spin even faster. The only way to control this condition is to have an option on your car called "DSC" (Dynamic Stability Control). DSC essentially applies the brake to a single wheel and slows it down to match the other wheels. Unfortunately, this was not a very common option in your year car.

If you only have a FWD X-Type, then I would be looking at the CV joints in the front. You can differentiate between the CV joints and the transmission because the CV joints will make a different sound when backing up as the transmission will tend to make a very similiar sound in both directions.

The following users liked this post:
JS. BOJAN (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019 | 08:49 AM
|

Termo...thanks nicely for the quick reply i'll listen to you for advice but i'll open the differential anyway and see the condition and problem if i can post pictures after opening the differential box hello thanks again.

Old 10-18-2019 | 03:39 PM
Veteran member

JS. Bojan, if you get under the car, odds are, it will be pretty obvious if you need a new transfer case or not. You will probably see a 1CM crack that will wrap all the way around the case. You will get a really nice view of the internals without having to do any disassembly if it is the transfer case. I wish you the best of luck and that what I am saying is not true. But, I have seen too many fail and what you describe is pretty typical of how they go.

Old 10-21-2019 | 01:14 AM
|

thanks so much for helping the administration

Old 10-21-2019 | 01:17 AM
|

GGG-----thanks so much for helping the administration