X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem discovered: AC pulley bearings need oil, how can I add grease?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem discovered: AC pulley bearings need oil, how can I add grease?

Does anyone know if there is a way to put grease in without removing pulley? If not, then is there any instructions out there that tell me how to do that. There is almost no room to maneuver one hand near it. Does the ac system need to be drained and pulley removed to do so or is there a way to take of pulley?

Old 06-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

Jeffrimerman, if I remember the construction of the compressor correctly, the bearings get lubed from the freon flowing inside the compressor. When using R-134a, there is a special oil that is supposed to be either mixed in with the freon or added prior to adding in the straight freon so that the bearings will be properly lubricated. So, there is no need to tear apart the compressor to "grease" these bearings. Ensuring that the freon has oil in it is all that is needed. Adding grease to the freon system is BAD!!!!! The pressure changes inside of the A/C system are great enough that you would possibly experience "diesel combustion" (ie, the rapid changing pressure would cause the grease to spontaneously combust). The freon oil is a special oil that is resistant to this sort of thing.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:49 PM

I'm thinking it's not the internal bearings. When the ac is running it is perfect, but when the clutch disengages and the pump isn't running that's when you hear the noise. There is bearings that allow the pulley to spin when the pump isn't pumping. It's those that need to be oiled or something. When I sprayed wd40 to the pulley it got quiet so it's more of an external thing. I just don't know how to take the pulley off or even if that is possible. I could be that the whole unit will need changing.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

Jeff, in the case that you are saying, what I would do is to pull the right front wheel and then remove the fender liner. That should expose the A/C compressor for you. Then I would use a can of spray silicon with a straw attachment. That should get you close enough to get a good coating of lube on the bearing. The problem is, this is going to wear off over time. So, you will end up doing this periodically and the only long term fix is to install a new clutch on the compressor.

The following users liked this post:
jeffrimerman (06-04-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jeff, in the case that you are saying, what I would do is to pull the right front wheel and then remove the fender liner. That should expose the A/C compressor for you. Then I would use a can of spray silicon with a straw attachment. That should get you close enough to get a good coating of lube on the bearing. The problem is, this is going to wear off over time. So, you will end up doing this periodically and the only long term fix is to install a new clutch on the compressor.
Yeah, that sounds right. I will look into getting a clutch from somewhere and find out how to change it. To change the serpentine, is it the same, take off the fender liner?