X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems draining and filling Transfer Case - 2002MY X-Type 3.0 AUTO

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems draining and filling Transfer Case - 2002MY X-Type 3.0 AUTO

Ok I finally decided to tackle the transmission drain and flush, rear diff drain and fill and transfer case drain and fill on my MY2002 X-Type 3.0 Auto.

Transmission drain and fill was straightforward per the instruction threads.

Rear Diff. was not too bad. I used a cheap hand pump and got out about a liter of old fluid. Refilled with a syringe and a length of plastic tubing; added about 1.1 - 1.2 liters until it looked like it was starting to drip from fill hole, and closed up.

Thought things were not too bad, until I got to the transfer case job, what a pita. This is where I need advice. Just for some background, my mechanic had filled the transfer case about a year back. He also used a syringe to fill. He said he got nothing out but managed to fill 400ml before it started coming back out (I don't know what procedure he used for the entire exercise). I wanted to redo the drain and flush. So I've read most of the threads etc. I do not think I will be able to get the install valve method to work. I raised the car on left (fill) side in readiness (managed to jack it approx. 20 inches measured from ground to jacking points). I did not bother with the drain tilt as I planned on using the hand pump to siphon out old fluid. When I opened the plug, nothing came out. I inserted the hand pump tube and only pumped out air (no fluid). When I shine a torch in, I can see mechanicals almost immediately behind the drain plug. I pushed the pump tube around the edges of the mechanicals and got in further in but still got nothing out. Anyway when I tried filling the fluid immediately leaks back out. I tried filling using 2 methods; a). syringe and tube and b). hand pump. When I used the hand pump I used a very thin piece of tubing to try and get in behind the mechanical objects behind the drain plug port. Either the fluid was too thick or something was causing pressure to build because the tubing kept flying out of the pump fitting so I gave up for now.

Questions as follows:

1. What is the mechanical object immediately behind the drain plug port that prevents tubing from going in further?

2. Why couldn't I pump any of the old transfer case fluid out?

3. Why did fluid start leaking out as soon as I filled? Does this mean the Transfer case is already full? Or is the fluid flow being impeded?

4. Can someone please repost the official jaguarforums guide on this? When I follow the existing link, it takes me to a UK Government site.

Much Appreciated.

Old 05-30-2023, 03:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,932 Likes on 3,228 Posts

Ishi, from what you are describing, you need to tilt the car the other way first to drain out the fluid. I know you want to suck the fluid out, but the transfer case is a pretty packed unit and sucking it out is probably going to be more hassle than it is worth. What you are probably seeing is the viscous coupling or a set of gears (been a few years since I have looked in that port). So, getting around this is going to be more hassle than it is worth. I would raise the right side of the car and then pull the drain plug. Let the 400 ml or so of fluid drain out. Put the plug back in. Then raise the left side to allow filling. This is going to be the quickest way. I was the one that created the drain valve mod using a radiator drain valve. That worked good for me, but it also requires a little bit of grinding which a lot of people may not have the tools needed to do that.

So, to answer your questions:
1) most likely the viscous coupling or a set of gears
2) the tube you are using is too big to fit past the maze of parts inside the transfer case and if you use a smaller tube, you will probably be there most of a day trying to suck out the fluid because it will get very hard to get the fluid to move through the small diameter tubing.
3) the case is still full and therefore cannot take any more fluid. May have been pouring in a bit fast too. hard to say.
4) if you do a search using the advanced search, you can select X-Type and search for "transfer case drain" and you should find a bunch of posts on what various people have done. You will find tons of useful information there. May want to also look in the Stickies (the first few topics at the top of the page), there is normally a lot of good information like this posted up there.

The following users liked this post:
Ishi (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 05:26 PM

Thank you Thermo. I saw your drain valve method but I don't have the necessary tools.

I'll do the tilt both ways method this weekend hopefully.

Old 05-30-2023, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 678 Posts
Ishi (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 04:10 AM

Much appreciated, thank you Dell.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Done few weeks ago, and I'm still alive 🙂

Old 06-01-2023, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kmer

Done few weeks ago, and I'm still alive 🙂
Wow, did you crawl under with car only on trolley jacks?

Old 06-01-2023, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were also two jack stands, just in case 😉

Ishi (06-02-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try looking on youtube,,,, some good info and videos there.....

Ishi (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 03:52 PM

@Old growler Thanks, I saw that clip before, it was helpful, except the poster used a gravity feed to fill transfer case.

Anyway I got the job done using the recommended tilt method.

If anyone is wondering, I used Havoline ATF Multi-vehicle for transmission (it lists Idemitsu K17 on the PDS) and Castrol Transmax / Syntrax LSD for transfer case and rear diff.

It still blows my mind that the designers did not put at least dedicated central jack points front and rear. Even my Mum's Honda Jazz/Fit has those.

Last edited by Ishi; 06-05-2023 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,991 Likes on 792 Posts

Jack points on a Honda Jazz?......pretty sure you can just about bench press one of those!

Ishi (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by h2o2steam
Jack points on a Honda Jazz?......pretty sure you can just about bench press one of those!
😄

Lovely little cars, very good quality. Can't speak for the latest model.