X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about ODB2 diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about ODB2 diagnostics

I just received my new diagnostic tool (Foxwell NT200) - never even seen one before so was amazed how easy it was to use

I got code P1111 which I understand there are no problems - yay \0/

TBH I find this hard to believe on a 15 year old car with 69k on the clock so my question is could the garage I bought the car from have cleared any codes before it went for sale and would any codes cleared re-appear with each new test or crop up eventually?

Old 03-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Dave, yes, the P1111 code is good. It means that the system checks were completed and did not find any issues.

Yes, it is also true that whomever you bought the car from could have cleared any codes that were in there. However, if there truly was a problem the codes would come up again as soon as you started the car. So, it sounds like you are good to go for now. Enjoy! By the way, I would guess that at some point in its life there were codes present, but whatever issues they were addressed. Very common as a car ages to have things wear out and need to be addressed. Nothing to be skeptical of. At least now if something comes up you can quickly look it up to point you in the right direction as to how to fix it.

The following users liked this post:
DaveJessop (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:50 AM

Thanks Alfadude - I was somewhere in the middle of being cocky and paranoid

What I'll do is have a nice long drive this week and then do another test and see if anything shows up - I suppose it's always possible that the previous owner had any faults sorted during the several services the car has had in the last few years - so maybe I've been lucky

I've no doubt there will be the odd problem in the future but the great thing about these diagnostic tools is it's very easy to identify a problem rather than swapping parts and trying to diagnose faults manually like we did back in the day

I thought I'd better check everything out now because I've got a friend coming over from the US at the end of the month and I'll be doing a minimum of 2000 miles in 2 weeks and didn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere ... although she probably knows more about cars than me

Old 03-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

You don't have to check the tool after you drive every time. If there is anything that comes up you will see a light on the dash. Just relax and enjoy the car. It sounds like it has been well maintained. That scanner won't tell you what might happen in the future.

DaveJessop (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 11:06 AM

Loving the car - the first of many Jags

Saving for a new XE already

Old 03-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Dave, you will not be unhappy with the new XE. Been involved with the car for over 3 years now. I was the fortunate person from here that got to go to London for the world premiere. So, if you have questions about the car, let me know. I even managed to get to do the driver's experience where they let me drive an XE on the road and also on a track they set up. I have to admit, the car drifts through corners pretty well. He he he he. Nothing like getting to be half way through a turn and plant your foot to the floor with the supercharged V6 to feel the whole car slide a little to the side from all 4 wheels grabbing for traction.

DaveJessop (03-07-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

OBD II codes are auto-deleted eventually if they don't recur. (Note: this only applies to actual OBD II i.e. commonly does not apply to codes in other modules and so on - they are not part of OBD II, which is about emissions.)

So, no codes is good and the garage may well not have cleared them.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

If the garage had cleared the codes, then P1111 would have changed to P1000 until quite a few varied miles of driving had been achieved and the system checks had been completed. In 12 years of my X type from new I've only ever had one code, for an O2 sensor. I've only done 85k miles as I have to keep the XK8 moving too!And that's only had one code - for a brake switch - in eight years and 25k miles.

Contrary to what might be thought from all the problems that Forums thrive on, there are plenty of good reliable Jaguars out here!!

DaveJessop (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 12:40 PM

I suppose the fact I got no codes proves just how well built these cars are

I've done about 600 miles since I got the car 5 weeks ago so if anything was deleted a new code would have shown up by now - gives me massive confidence that there shouldn't be any problems during the 2000-3000 miles I'll be doing first 2 weeks of April