X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Engine Bay Temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question: Engine Bay Temperatures

While doing a coolant flush and refill today my mechanic told me that my engine runs hotter than most cars he works on. he said the temperature gauge never went past half way so i shouldn't be too worried about it as he says some cars run hotter than others.

so here's my question. do our x-types normally run hot or is there something i should be checking? (fan ect.)

Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,907 Likes on 3,210 Posts

funkdoktor, here is a simple test to verify what is going on. Open the hood of your car and then start the engine. At this point, you want the motor cold. NOw, turn the A/C on to max (coldest temp, fan on the highest setting it will go to). Step out of the car and lean over the radiator a little bit. Are you getting a large blast of air from the fans or are you simply getting a nice gentle breeze? You should be getting blasted with air to the point that it will be moving the hair on your head. If you get just the gentle breeze, then odds are your fan module is starting to go.

As for underhood temps, the best advice that I can tell you is to get your hands on a lazer thermometer and check the under hood temps of a few vehicles. You could go old school and simply tape a thermometer under the hood and go for a short drive. But, a normal under hood temp should be around 150F as I recall when sitting still. WHile driving, it will normally run about 10-20F above ambient temps.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use synthtic oil and forget about it.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by funkdoktor
While doing a coolant flush and refill today my mechanic told me that my engine runs hotter than most cars he works on. he said the temperature gauge never went past half way so i shouldn't be too worried about it as he says some cars run hotter than others.

so here's my question. do our x-types normally run hot or is there something i should be checking? (fan ect.)
I think I'd ask for more details on what the mechanic was trying to get at- how would he know what temp it runs at if he's simply doing a coolant flush?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
funkdoktor, here is a simple test to verify what is going on. Open the hood of your car and then start the engine. At this point, you want the motor cold. NOw, turn the A/C on to max (coldest temp, fan on the highest setting it will go to). Step out of the car and lean over the radiator a little bit. Are you getting a large blast of air from the fans or are you simply getting a nice gentle breeze? You should be getting blasted with air to the point that it will be moving the hair on your head. If you get just the gentle breeze, then odds are your fan module is starting to go.

As for underhood temps, the best advice that I can tell you is to get your hands on a lazer thermometer and check the under hood temps of a few vehicles. You could go old school and simply tape a thermometer under the hood and go for a short drive. But, a normal under hood temp should be around 150F as I recall when sitting still. WHile driving, it will normally run about 10-20F above ambient temps.
I did the test you mentioned earlier and i noticed the fan switching from "low" to "high" in intervals. is this normal? also what is the coldest setting in the x type? low or 61? also, should i circulate the cabin air or shut it? thanks thermo.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,907 Likes on 3,210 Posts

Funk, when the temp indicator says LOW, that is the coldest it will go to. As for whether you are recirculating or not, doesn't make any difference.

As for the fan switching back and forth, that is normal. The big thing is that you are getting a significant amount of air flow from the fans. When the fan module tends to fail, the fans will spin slower and slower over time till the fans eventually dont' spin at all.

The following users liked this post:
funkdoktor (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Funk, when the temp indicator says LOW, that is the coldest it will go to. As for whether you are recirculating or not, doesn't make any difference.

As for the fan switching back and forth, that is normal. The big thing is that you are getting a significant amount of air flow from the fans. When the fan module tends to fail, the fans will spin slower and slower over time till the fans eventually dont' spin at all.
Oh ok. my fan module is still good. that's good news! thanks thermo.