X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling tin sound when accelerating???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great suggestions. I will look into them all & let you know if it helps.
Thanks.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you ever resolved this problem?
I have the exact same problem.
I know that it's an old thread, but worth a shot.

Old 01-23-2021, 03:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does the same thing and think it is the Catalytic converter. It may be loose inside causing that sound. Check it out

Old 01-23-2021, 04:19 PM

I think its pinging, pinking, spark knock, detonation, whatever you wanna call it.
Cause it is a continuous rev dependant rattle which happens between 1800 and 2500 rpm under light to moderate load. When feathering the throttle, or when really driving hard, its not there.

Tried all kinds fuel cleaners, boosters, additives. Tried premium fuel. Pulled fuse 32 few times. Cleaned maf sensor.
It helped a little bit but it's still not completely gone.

No codes from the scanner either.

​​​​​​

Old 01-24-2021, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Wallman
Mine does the same thing and think it is the Catalytic converter. It may be loose inside causing that sound. Check it out
I doubt if it's the catalytic converter. It's a rhythmic sound that is rev dependant.
I'm thinking maybe pinking, or something with the aux belt.

I always fill up with premium fuel. Cleaned maf twice, checked for vaccuum leaks. Added octane booster. Helped a bit but it is still there.

Old 01-24-2021, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 654 Posts
Old 01-31-2021, 01:07 AM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

OK, I know this i an OLD thread, but comes up near the top on any search for this elusive rattling.

My car:
12/09 Build date
2.1V6 Petrol AKA 2.0L Petrol.
Auto
Front Wheel Drive.
NO Sport mode in the transmission, hence NO Sport button inside the car.

Vin J63537.

138050 kms.

The Flex plate PDF was worth a shot, and the Dealer confirmed my car had the "upgrade" Ex the factory.

Fuse #32 = 15Amp, is the Transmission ECM, ONLY

Fuse #19 = 10Amp, is the Engine Control Module, (ECM) (Petrol Only)
Throttle motor relay (2.5L and 3.0L)
Fuel Pump Relay (2.0L Petrol)

Since this "baby" engine has a cable operated throttle body, that only leaves ECM, and Fuel Pump as the controlled circuits.

I did the #32 more times than I care to count. NO noticeable change in the engine operation.

Out with the Owners Handbook, and surprise, #19 is the ECM on these cars.

Not suitable I know for USA etc,as you never got this version that I can establish through my contacts at Jaguar.

Once I pulled #19, partook of 2 beers while waiting for whatever to happen, the car is transformed, NO rattle, more sting, easier starting, the list goes on.
I pulled #32 again, just because.

In the chase of this oddity:

Spark plugs
Inlet seals
Air filter
Fuel filter
Knock sensor
CTS
Heat Shields
Steer Pump pulley
The list goes on.

I hope this is of some assistance to owners with this smaller V6 Petrol engine.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 01-31-2021 at 03:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
GGG (01-31-2021), Greg in France (02-03-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 06:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Wallman
A Catalytic Converter with a broken core sounds like pebbles shaken around in an empty tin can. Fifteen years ago but I've still never forgotten the sound because it cost so much to fix.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (01-31-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
OK, I know this i an OLD thread, but comes up near the top on any search for this elusive rattling.

My car:
12/09 Build date
2.1V6 Petrol AKA 2.0L Petrol.
Auto
Front Wheel Drive.
NO Sport mode in the transmission, hence NO Sport button inside the car.

Vin J63537.

138050 kms.

The Flex plate PDF was worth a shot, and the Dealer confirmed my car had the "upgrade" Ex the factory.

Fuse #32 = 15Amp, is the Transmission ECM, ONLY

Fuse #19 = 10Amp, is the Engine Control Module, (ECM) (Petrol Only)
Throttle motor relay (2.5L and 3.0L)
Fuel Pump Relay (2.0L Petrol)

Since this "baby" engine has a cable operated throttle body, that only leaves ECM, and Fuel Pump as the controlled circuits.

I did the #32 more times than I care to count. NO noticeable change in the engine operation.

Out with the Owners Handbook, and surprise, #19 is the ECM on these cars.

Not suitable I know for USA etc,as you never got this version that I can establish through my contacts at Jaguar.

Once I pulled #19, partook of 2 beers while waiting for whatever to happen, the car is transformed, NO rattle, more sting, easier starting, the list goes on.
I pulled #32 again, just because.

In the chase of this oddity:

Spark plugs
Inlet seals
Air filter
Fuel filter
Knock sensor
CTS
Heat Shields
Steer Pump pulley
The list goes on.

I hope this is of some assistance to owners with this smaller V6 Petrol engine.
Fuse19 is windscreenwasherpump and rainsensor in my 3.0 according to my handbook.

I just pulled various fuses:18, 27, 31, 32, 35 diode, 36, 37 and 40. I'll put them back in later today and go for a drive.

Could have just disconnected the battery, but didnt want to lise my radio settings. 😂

Grant Francis (02-01-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 10:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The diagram I have shows there is a difference in the fuse box fuse designations depending on the year of the vehicle.

2001 - 2003 F32 = ECM F19=screenwash

2004 to 2009 F19=ECM F-32=TCM

Grant Francis (02-13-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 10:35 AM

I am going to try the ECM fuse.

The sound I am getting is not the rattle of a heat shield nor the rattle of a catalytic converter gone bad.

It is a pinging knocking sound. When the outside temp is cool it is less, to not noticeable.

When it heats up outside it is horrible, press the accelerator and it sounds like the valves are dueling. lay off the fuel and they all settle down.

Hopefully the fuse trick will work as I have made many vacuum repairs to the engine.

I do get an engine code for the fuel pump also, so it is possible that the noise, in part, could be related to that.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:55 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the same issue, although the weather has gotten cold so i am not hearing it. It was pretty apparent during the summer when it was 70-80 out. I asked the mechanic - I was there to have the A/C compressor replaced - and he said it was either a heat shield or catalytic converter. Mentioned a bad cat, or cat going bad, would sound like shaking an empty rattle can. Ironically, as I read the other comments on here, I just got a check light indicating my knock sensor on bank 2 has failed. I am digging into it to replace it this weekend, so I hope it is the cause of my pinging. I won't really know until it warms up again, but there are many comments here implying it is timing or detonation. If I replace the knock sensors and it goes away, then I assume that is the cause. Otherwise it would have to be the catalytic converter. I've had everything else checked and done all the troubleshooting suggestions.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ugotmale
I have the same issue, although the weather has gotten cold so i am not hearing it. It was pretty apparent during the summer when it was 70-80 out. I asked the mechanic - I was there to have the A/C compressor replaced - and he said it was either a heat shield or catalytic converter. Mentioned a bad cat, or cat going bad, would sound like shaking an empty rattle can. Ironically, as I read the other comments on here, I just got a check light indicating my knock sensor on bank 2 has failed. I am digging into it to replace it this weekend, so I hope it is the cause of my pinging. I won't really know until it warms up again, but there are many comments here implying it is timing or detonation. If I replace the knock sensors and it goes away, then I assume that is the cause. Otherwise it would have to be the catalytic converter. I've had everything else checked and done all the troubleshooting suggestions.
There really is a big difference between a rattle and knock and ping. I know the mechanic has to interpret from the explanation if the noise from the person experiencing it but knock and ping is different.

Hopefully your sensor replacement does the trick.

Old 02-13-2021, 02:30 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BudL1te
There really is a big difference between a rattle and knock and ping. I know the mechanic has to interpret from the explanation if the noise from the person experiencing it but knock and ping is different.

Hopefully your sensor replacement does the trick.
Good to know. We’ll see what happens but I hope so too.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:40 AM

Just went in the car wash today. Car rattled when driving in. When driving out the rattle was gone...
So im suspecting a pulley of some sort.
Could a pulley rattle under load only?

This problem had been mentioned on various jaguar forums, but never have i seen a solution...

Old 02-16-2021, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ugotmale
Good to know. We’ll see what happens but I hope so too.
Maybe the sensor has become loose in a way?
Shame it is buried deep down in the V, so not a quick check.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 654 Posts

Check the "dogbone"...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-noise-204152/

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 02-16-2021 at 05:02 PM.
Grant Francis (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

I'm in the middle of a transfer case change, so and getting very familiar with the underside of the car. The heat shield surrounding my rear catalytic converters was only held with one bolt, the other had rusted away and the shield was completely loose. There are a number of different heat shields, so check them all.

Grant Francis (02-17-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 09:31 AM

Hello, I am having this same issue, although mine only does this noise when accelerating, in gear.
If I am cruising, no noise, if I hit the pedal at med-high rpm, it makes this weird rattle sound, but only until I'm past like 2500 -3000, very hard to describe.
yesterday drove with window down on DS (USA) only, outside temp mid 80's and the noise seems to be coming from the front DS (USA) near the cv inner ?
Not positive, Does not do this when outside temp is cool. Does not do it when holding clutch and revving up either

I have replaced the cv axle on this side a few months ago due to a clicking sound when pulling out, I thought it was the cv bearings.
So now it does this noise still and the rattle noise.
any possibilities that it is the wheel bearing ? I have never heard a wheel bearing rattle like this.
and for the cat idea, wouldn't it do it all the time, in gear or not at that certain rpm?
def not the heat shield

Could it be low fluid in transfer case ?
Any and all help appreciated.
Thanks

Old 11-10-2021, 09:45 AM

This metal perforated plate lies on top of the front catalytic converter. It was loose and made a rattle on cold start from 1500rpm to 2000rpm. Take the front catalytic converter off and just take it out. Took me 2 hours and a lot of swearing due to seized bolts. But its rattle free now😊

ugotmale (11-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Rattling tin sound when accelerating???