X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: Diagnostics charges

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Diagnostics charges

This maybe just common sense but before I take my car in for any dealer service I allways call and tell them whats wrong and ask if it's covered under warranty. If they say no then I know that I am pretty much going to have to pay the fee or I can think about other options. Also they allways remind me that if the repair is covered then the diag. charge will be waived but if it isn't then I will have to pay the charge and pay for the repair if I choose to have them do the work. They also have me sign a form stating this. I just don't understand all the people that are surprised buy the diag. charge. Is my dealer the only one that points this ? Sometimes it's a crap shoot if you know what it's doing but you don't know whats causing the problem then I guess that you just have to take that chance. I've also been surprised what they found and that it is not covered but you still argue and then you just pay the diag. charges and either have it fixed or not. A couple of guy's on here that walked out with out paying the diag. charges may have voided their warranty's or may face criminal charges and it's just not worth it in my opinion and I know that some of these dealers can be very frustrating to deal with!
I also call select edition myself and see if a particular repair is covered as the dealers are not allways right.
There have been times where a repair is not covered and I will ask the service manager if he can give me a little break on the cost and sometimes he does.
That's just how I handle the Select Edition situation!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  6.4 KB

Bad...............re the calling the dealer first!
Sumthin that makes absolute sense to me and is also what I do. That way I can get an idea whether it is likely to be covered or not and if its not a ballpark figure of what the cost may be.
I treat these guys with respect and tend to be pleasant to them too.....Its nice to be nice. When I get good service etc I praise them, maybe a word in the service managers ears for which they get employee of the month or similar. If they really look after me maybe even a bottle of wine or similar at xmas. The service I get is second to none, a courtesey car when I've just heard another customer being told that there isn't one available, and parts thrown in as well as being advised that warranty work is needed on this part or that part of my car and would you like us to do it for you?
All because I treat them with respect and am pleasant.

I have to be honest, sometimes I really believe that the customers attitude can be to blame, although it shouldn't be taken into account, but, generally is.
In sales we say " People buy from people " and similarly in this scenario " People deal with people "

If you have 2 customers with the same problem
One is nice , courteous and pleasant and asking for help, while the other is demanding, abrupt and looks down on you so to speak...........Who would you serve first?

Jim

Old 01-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Agree Jim,
If we get 2 customers and one is nice and asks for example if they can have a touch up done that wasnt involved in the accident repair we somtimes might do it.If someone else is being a pain then we wouldnt consider it.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude you need to just get a BENZZZZZZZ and forget about it. I have been on the MB forum and way many more problems with those then I see here but if they are so great then just get one. I don't care if the service is free if the car has many problems and issues then it's still a pain to own.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

Diag fees are not rediculous. The Techs make there living working on the cars. If you owned a restaurant, would you allow people to come in and ask to taste the steak, then say I didn't like that, how about the spaghetti. Nope, didnt like that either. How about the chicken? You wouldn't allow someoen to get a free meal everytime they walked in just because they don't know what they want to eat.

The shop I work at charges 1 hour up front for only customer pay work. If I find something in 10 minutes, the customer does not pay the 1 hour. They pay whatever the repair costs plus the 0.2 for diag. I understand there are people out there that take advantage of customers, but it is not only Jag. MB techs do exactly the same thing, regardless of what you say about never having to pay a dime.

If a dealer wants to charge you diag for every complaint you have, that is BS. And as I have already told you, go to a different dealer. If you dont want to do that, then PLEASE sell your STR to someone who will appreciate it.

You make me think of someone who went and picked up a hooker, found out it was a drag queen and then did the deed anyway just to have something to complain about.