X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this really the end???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is this really the end???

So about a month or so I got into a minor front end collision because some retard in a Nissan sentra was in too much of a hurry in a snow storm and had to chance a left turn in front of me. Needless to say I hit him and now after a month of being in a rental 2012 or 2013 BMW 323 or 325 (regardless its **** and not a jag) my insurance company has decided to write off my car. Of course being the insurance company they are giving me next to nothing for my car so now probably leaning towards buying the car back and parting out the car. So my question to you fine fellows is this... Anyone need parts for a 2002 Jaguar x type premium non nav with 208,000KM on it? Here is a copy of my kijiji add below. Ohh and yes I am located in Canada and am open to shipping some parts out to you fine Americans, though I don't know why you would want that seeing as you can get them cheaper in your neighborhoods lo

I have a 2002 Jaguar X Type premium that was involved in a minor front end collision. Insurance company is writing off the car because the repair estimate is $6000 plus. Car was hit on the front passenger side. Only damage is headlight, scratches to bumper, hood, fender. Everything else on the vehicle is fine and in good condition.

Insurance company is not giving me what I feel the car is worth so I bought it from them and will now part it out to make more. I spoke to the body shop and they are saying the vehicle is being written off because they wont repair the hood or fender as its on a crease line of the vehicle and it would compromise the integrity. The cost to replace a hood alone from the dealer is $1000 plus prep and paint etc.

Basically I am in a situation... either I part out the vehicle to make up more money to buy a newer vehicle or if anyone has a silver x type they are parting out I would be open to buying there hood, fender and headlight. The parting vehicle must be silver because I don't want to spend money on painting the vehicle. There is no structural or frame damage what so ever. My car just clipped the back side of a vehicle that made a left turn in front of me. I was only going about 20 or 30km/h when this happened but due to the slippery road conditions I slid and clipped him.

lastly if anyone wants to buy my vehicle in its entirety I am open to that as well. Lots of work has been done to this car in the last year alone such as breaks, tires, calipers, drive shaft, linkages, dog bones, tie rods, water pump, alternator, new coolant bottle, new rad fans, e break cables. Cars in amazing drivable condition minus the hood, fender and passenger head light.

So there it is folks, don't want to waste anyone's time so if you have questions please call or text. You are more than welcome to come down and see the car as well as no repairs have been done to it so you can verify the damage as well. Just want to either move on with a newer car or get parts and fix my own car.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:57 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm really sorry for your loss, but it seems that the problem with jags getting into collisions is that the Kelley Blue Book price for them is so low and the dealership charges so much for even small repairs. So even a small collision might result in a total loss of the vehicle

I know many people here on the forum would be quick to buy parts off of your car. In addition, you might cut costs if you are willing to do some work yourself and might not even be that expensive to repair if you get lucky finding parts on eBay/Craigslist.

Good luck!

Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Search my recent posts you will see we are in exactly the same boat here. I bought our car back from the insurance co as well. I was going to fix it and in fact bought a used front bumper cover and a used hood with grille and a headlight. I will have to replace the radiator as well. The upper crossmember is bent. I might me able to straighten it. Replacement would have to be welded in.

But I hit the real snag when it came to the law. Since the car was totaled and now has a salvage title it can only be repaired by a state certified rebuilder. I can get the rebuilders license, but I have to start a business to get one. Otherwise I cannot have the car inspected to be issued a rebuilt title so that it can legally be operated on public roads again. I can easily do it myself but I can't register the car. If I turn it over to a shop, it is not even close to economical to repair. I have not decided what to do yet but I suspect it is all over for this one.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Mr .X Type,
Alex and Larry (sorry to hear your issue too),

I am aware of the aluminium chassis on the X Type and after collisions, many insurance companies will write the car off quickly due to inspection/chassis damage being very expensive too.
Having said that, if you were happy with the car, I'd go for the repairs just remembering that there wee at least 2 silver paint codes in the UK and if you go for repairs not to buy the Platinum or Liquid silver as they are markedly different?

Good luck Mr X Type, my platinum silver 2.5 was written off by a patrolman trying to start my car and ending up damaging her (hole in engine casing, mashed gearbox and flywheel!!!) it was written off in gleeming condition, I loved that car!!!

Hang in there, Stu

Old 03-27-2014, 03:52 PM
GGG
Received 16,855 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.xtype
So about a month or so I got into a minor front end collision .........
I hope you can get out of this situation either with your own rebuilt or by parting out and buying another Jaguar without taking too much of a financial hit.

Good luck.

Graham

Old 03-27-2014, 03:56 PM
GGG
Received 16,855 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by AlfaVeloce
.......... But I hit the real snag when it came to the law. Since the car was totaled and now has a salvage title it can only be repaired by a state certified rebuilder......... .
I hope the lawmakers in the EU don't see this. At the moment we can rebuild anything ourselves and the worst thing is that a write-off will have it recorded on the registration document.

If the UK Government gets wind of this, they'll see it as another tax opportunity.

Graham

Old 03-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

The driving function for our law was the discovery of a large car theft operation back in the rural mountains south east of me, stealing cars and "re-serialising" the stolen car with the wrecked car's credentials, among other tricks. The unintended consequence appears to be the elimination of the home builder/hobbyist.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:56 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear of those troubles folks. Insurance folk are no. 1 on my list of (non-criminal) members of society that I want to avoid contact with at all costs - they always spoil your day, and sometimes a whole month or two.

I really don't understand how they can use trade valuations for well sorted cars that frequently have had a lot of money invested in them. Given that the value of the car seems to play a relatively minor part in the calculation of the overall premium, why can't we have an option to specify the value that we want to insure our vehicles for and pay a small extra premium accordingly? my insurer said no - maybe others do have this facility??

Old 03-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mr. Xtype

#1. You need to tell the insurance company NO. I had an unfortunate experience a couple of years back when my son wrecked one of our vehicles. At the time, blue book was around $6000.00 and the insurance company wanted to give us $3500.00. I demanded that they give me a copy of the evaluation and found it was based on cars from all over the country, some with different trim levels, different size motors, automatics-sticks.....you get the point. I put together my own very realistic list of local vehicles for sale with similar features and simply told them to put the same car in my driveway (similar trim and mileage) or I would be contacting the state insurance board and filing a complaint. Next day the insurance company contacted me and paid $5600.00. The longer you hold out, the more inclined they will be to settle as they have to get this off of their books.

Hope this helps.........

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (03-28-2014)