X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really sluggish/ Popping intake (pulling my hair out)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 01:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Really sluggish/ Popping intake (pulling my hair out)

Hi all, i'm quite new here and have been trying to get my x-type back up to scratch and i'm starting to pull my hair out.

Apologies as this will be quite the long winded post but to start off with i've had the infamous popping sound back through intake to which I have done the following;
checked "the big 3" for air leaks and have been unable to find any air leaks.
repalced upper and Lower intake gaskets
re-sealed or replaced various O-rings like the IMT's, PCV etc.
injectors got serviced (cleaned, flow tested and new O-rings)
New coil packs (NGK)
New spark plugs as the old ones had seen better days.
Checked fuel pressure which is good, a tad high if anything at 60psi

After all of that the pooping seemed to stop on cold start but as soon as the A/C got turned on it came back then left with the A/C being turned off again, so now i'm stumped but could be missing something simple due to being quite annoyed with the whole thing.

and to continue the drama, it REALLY labours under load to the point its undrivable. free revs okay in Park but as soon you put it gear it doesnt want to play the game at all.

any pointers in the right direction would be MUCH appreciated and if it fixes it, might even be met tears of joy on my knees

oh also it's a 2003, 2.1/2.0, petrol, auto

Old 03-07-2023, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 758 Posts

Do you have any error codes?
Sounds like it is getting some unmetered air into the engine.
The MAF sensor in the intake pipe takes a reading of air quantity that is passing by so the ECM can adjust the amount of fuel to provide to reach the correct air/fuel ratio.
If the MAF sensor is misreading the air quantity or there is air somehow bypassing it and reaching the engine, then you will have issues.
Try cleaning the sensor with some MAF sensor cleaner (you can pick that up from Supercheap Auto - it is a CRC product).

Carefully check the accordion pipe that is between your air filter and the throttle body for any tears, splits or perforations, also make sure that the pipe clamps are secure so no air is drawn in at the coupling joints,

Does the misbehavior occur when engine is cold (at first start up), or is it initially OK then after a few minutes it starts the issue?

The following users liked this post:
Yorta2 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 04:31 AM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Iguaniss
Hi all, i'm quite new here and have been trying to get my x-type back up to scratch and i'm starting to pull my hair out.

Apologies as this will be quite the long winded post but to start off with i've had the infamous popping sound back through intake to which I have done the following;
checked "the big 3" for air leaks and have been unable to find any air leaks.
repalced upper and Lower intake gaskets
re-sealed or replaced various O-rings like the IMT's, PCV etc.
injectors got serviced (cleaned, flow tested and new O-rings)
New coil packs (NGK)
New spark plugs as the old ones had seen better days.
Checked fuel pressure which is good, a tad high if anything at 60psi

After all of that the pooping seemed to stop on cold start but as soon as the A/C got turned on it came back then left with Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox the A/C being turned off again, so now i'm stumped but could be missing something simple due to being quite annoyed with the whole thing.

and to continue the drama, it REALLY labours under load to the point its undrivable. free revs okay in Park but as soon you put it gear it doesnt want to play the game at all.

any pointers in the right direction would be MUCH appreciated and if it fixes it, might even be met tears of joy on my knees

oh also it's a 2003, 2.1/2.0, petrol, auto
what c error codes are showing ?