X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Brake Lines

I searched but didn't come across any threads on replacing the rear brake lines. Has anyone on here done this yet. Mine are rusted through and blew out. They actually blew out on the ride home right after I bought it 2 days ago. The dealer said he'll pay to fix them but doesn't want his garage to do the work. Anyplace else wants to see the car for an estimate and it will need towed. I don't want to go this route because the dealer I bought it from said that he'll only pay upto $300 to get this fixed. I priced out the pre fabbed lines for about $70 a piece and it will take over a week to get. At this point I think I'm just going to go get a roll of brake line and do it myself. Has anyone else had this issue or bent their own rear lines?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Seu, sorry to hear you are having issues so quickly after buying the car. I can't help you with your specific question, but I would think if the brake lines were so bad they blew after just two days the dealer selling the car had to know about that. By law they should be required to do a safety inspection before they sell the car and attest there are no known issues with it or if there are, disclose it. I would think that bake lines being that deteriorated would have been quite obvious and they should have either told you about them or they should just fix them without limiting you to $300.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Agree, I would take pictures and let the dealer fix it...I understand your feelings but let them foot the bill and if its not right be that squeaky wheel man...

Old 03-10-2013, 12:22 PM

Just an update. I did call our state attorney generals office to see exactly what rights I had. They said the car was sold "as is" so I didn't have much of a leg to stand on. They said I could file a complaint and if they found that the car was unsafe at the time I purchased it they would require the dealer to fix it. But, if I go this route and they say the dealer wasn't at fault they wouldn't be liable for anything(not even the $300). The lady on the phone also mentioned that this can be a long process. Long story short I decided to take the $300 and do it myself. I went autozone to pick up a roll of stainless line and the guy there said they have a new product that can be all bent by hand, won't kink, and won't rust. He brought out a demo piece and I tried getting this think to kink and I couldn't. So I bought a couple lengths of this stuff and went to work. A funny thing about our cars is that they use different flares on the rear lines. The driver side line used a bubble(metric) flare on both ends of the line. The passenger side uses a double flare(standard) at the main lines and a bubble flare at the wheel. What I did so I didn't have to buy the bubble flare tool was buy all bubble flare lines, cut off one of the ends and put a regular dubble flare on that end. I highly suggest anyone ever attempting to replace these lines to buy the lines that can be re-bent and bent by hand. I was able to get all of the new lines in and blead in a couple hours and it works great now. Total cost in all the parts was about $70.

The following users liked this post:
Mayorjagx7 (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Thanks to Seu83.
just to add that I was able to fix the rear passenger brake line of my Xtype 2003. yesterday in Michigan outside ( no garage) in a day that to my luck reached 44F in January, in much because of knowing what exactly to pick from Autozone.
Line went bad due to the salt I guess because it was very rusty and other lines will need to be changed in spring. Total cost of repair USD 17.62 and 2 1/2 hours . Also would like to share that it failed really bad, suddenly pedal became spongy and in 10 min red brake light started to lit on and off , I knew it was leaking and I was able to make home before it totally drained with a little help of the parking brake.
thanks a lot.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:05 PM

My rear right side brake lines have failed the nct due to rust. I haven't checked them myself yet but I will tomorrow