Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear caliper

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: rear caliper

Hey jim have you seen the black ebc rotors? I like the look of them more...but if the other one that is like yellow/goldish in color is better I'd rather do that...what do you think? I'm going to have to do a brake job soon because the brakes are starting to make some nice high pitched noises on occasion!

Old 05-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

It's been like 2 weeks and I still haven't come around to changing my rear brakes. I'm just lazy and I know that I really don't need it right now. I'll let you guys know when I come around to doing it!

Old 05-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

I tend to like the brakes on my jag...I hardly have to push the brake pedal for it to stop...my sisters grand prix took a long while to get used to because if you want to stop you almost have to have the pedal to the floor...and her car is pretty new and the rotors and pads were replaced at the dealer before she got it. Love to see what the german brakes are like if you don't like the jags brakes! Than again it could also be with your particular car afterall you have had a shotty experience with yours...You ever try to test drive a newer one and see if it is jag in general or just yours???

Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

I think he test drove a newer one when he had it at the dealer, and didn't like that one either...or am I thinking about someone else!

Old 05-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I remember reading that too but I don't know how he couldn't be happy with it...I happen to love our brakes!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights5.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  4.7 KB

ORIGINAL: aquill1
Hey jim have you seen the black ebc rotors? I like the look of them more...but if the other one that is like yellow/goldish in color is better I'd rather do that...what do you think? I'm going to have to do a brake job soon because the brakes are starting to make some nice high pitched noises on occasion!
Hey Aquill......I haven't seen the EBC black rotors........nice?
I really like the gold (zinc plated I think) rotors slotted grooved........together with redstuff for serious stopping power.
Bo......you got redstuff pads mate..good for you! Maybe though the slightly more expensive rotors would have been a better partnership?
I honestly feel that the brakes on the X are the worst I have ever used, and I've used a few on different cars over the years. I just feel that for such a heavy car, sometimes I feel that I'm just not gonna stop in time and I'm really ON the brakes too!
The Audi is like night n day...........bigger and heavier than the X and it stops on a postage stamp.........apply the brakes an Bam.........stopped, no messin!

JC

Old 05-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like my Nissan, with the exception that my nissan is light, but I just slightly press my brake and I'm at 0 MPH! The S isn't too bad either, but I did appreciate how it steered under wheel lock this weekend. SAVED MY LIFE!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights5.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  4.7 KB

Glad about that Biggie...........we dont wanna be losin you just yet mate

JC

Old 05-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Here's the site jimmy http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html. They are the black anodised towards the very bottom of the page....

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/CB369A6BCB1B4CD784A5B3C763BC67E2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

There are some sites on-line that I saw with the same or couple bucks less...

Old 05-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

I agree, that's about the price they go for on the net!

Old 05-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Man I want the black ones....

Old 08-17-2008, 05:37 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Aloha..Macadamia Nuts rule..[8D]

Since you're a pro at it now..It wouldn't hurt to attach a small rubber hose to the bleed nipple and crack it open while someone is pressing on the brake pedal then retighten before the pedal is released again, do this a couple of times on all four calipers, making sure the brake fluid reservoir never gets too low either..this will push out any air, that might have been trapped while you were changing the pads and any old fluid...Because brake fluid in the calipers is the worse in the system, everything settles to the lowest point..And Brake fluid attracts moisture too, so this way you freshen up the fluid too.

Bleed in this pattern;

Old 08-17-2008, 10:18 PM

Jim64:
I think the X's brakes are pretty decent. Having driven late model Chryslers with disc/drum set-ups for a number of years - I've actually hadbrakeson them fade totally away on back country moutain roads. My X has never pulled that on me.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 PM

Have driven BMW's - both 3's and 5's. Still don't have a big problem with my X's brakes.However after I replaced the OEM rears with Friction Master pads, they actually got noticeably more effective. Still running OEM fronts - not sure what brand Jag put on the 06's, but, they seem to work ok. The rears I took off were Akebonos, and, they got really noisy.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 08-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my LEFT rear pads here a month ago due to a sticking e-brake on that side...it burned my pads up in about a week!

Definitely check that the E-brake cable mechanisim fully relaxes when the handle is put back down. My right side did, but my left did not, even after soaking it with some AeroKroil. I ended up just disconnecting the cable to the caliper mechanisim on the left side to avoid any premature pad wear again.

The left side caliper must be turned in C-Clockwise and the right side is Clockwise. The reason they screw in is due to how the E-brakes work by mechanically rotating the piston in the bore just enough to apply pressure on the pads thus grabbing the rotor.

I ended up using a C-clamp and a pair of channel locks to move the piston back in the bore. I would get the proper tool if I was doing this often though.

The JTIS CD I have outlined this procedure pretty well.

Overall, I wish the X-type had bigger brakes or perhaps some more aggressive pads with a higher coeficient or friction. I am looking to try EBC reds next on the front.
They certainly do not compare to the 4-pistons brembos I had on my Porsche 944S2 or the BIG brakes on the 04'911. I do have stock calipers on my 83' 944 but with race pads and it brakes hard with still having single piston calipers!

Anyone know if there are Stainless Steel braided lines available for the X-type? I had them on all my Porsches and I like how they firmed the pedal up!Plus I felt better about replacing 25y/o rubber lines!

Quick Reply: rear caliper