Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear caliper

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: rear caliper

Chas..you are comparing apples to oranges..the X is a 4 door sedan with a splash of sportiness..nothing in the line of your ALL your Porsches..so Steel lines and four piston calipers are overkill for this car, unless you drive like it's a Porsche.

Oldengineer..yours must of not been the Euro, or they were installed without anti-squeak preparations or you had stock rotorsor all three possibilities...I have Akebonos Euroswith EBC Sport rotors..Thee Best combination ..Quiet, non fade and positive..Also perfectly clean and dust free.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dennis, contrast taken aside I feel any car can benefit from having a firmed up brake pedal due to some DOT SS brake lines. With my 944 where I described its braking feel with stock calipers and race pads I was referencing how a simple pad change and some fresh rotors perhaps can really change a cars braking dynamics. I drive the Jag basically how I drove my other 944's rarely shifted above 4k rpm and mainly just cruised (had fun in the corners though). My first 944 was a mere 145hp so blistering speed was not its fortay but I still enjoyed a healthy braking system for when encountering critters in the road or morons on the highway. I am surprised the S-type and X-type do not share the same brakes. I was give a set or rear S-type pads for my X-type and I noticed they were larger and covered more surface area.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dennis:

I'm running stock rotors. The rear shoes I took off had an anti-squeak pad bonded on the backs of them. The noise I was getting was an horrendously loud moan on rainy daysafter the car had been parked for more than 15 minutes and I used the brakes first couple of times. The Friction Master rears got rid of 80% of the noise. I then made the dealer replace the rear bushings and that got rid of the rest. The replacement shoes leave no dust on the rear rims at all. No exaggeration - the folks insideour office could hear my brakes moan when I backed the car out of my parking spot. Sounded like a rail car stopping. I've got about 32K on the fronts and they're still OK. Not sure what I'm going to replace them with when the time comes.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 PM

Chas: I agree with you. That's how I improved the braking performance on the last 2 Sebrings I owned. I replaced the stock rotors and Pads with Bendix stuff, and, replaced the brake fluid with Castrol Brake fluid. Wasn't much I could do with the crappy drum brakes on the rear. Had to laugh - I saw an 08 Sebring parked while I was on a business trip, and, it still has drums on the back.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apply pressure pushing in on the center square hole while twisting clockwise on the driver side and counter clockwise on the passenger side, I used a tire wrench on mine while roating the piston with a channel lock pliers, works for me just fine, recommend the useof aspecial tool though..

Old 08-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Oldengineer

Chas: I agree with you. That's how I improved the braking performance on the last 2 Sebrings I owned. I replaced the stock rotors and Pads with Bendix stuff, and, replaced the brake fluid with Castrol Brake fluid. Wasn't much I could do with the crappy drum brakes on the rear. Had to laugh - I saw an 08 Sebring parked while I was on a business trip, and, it still has drums on the back.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Wow drum brakes still on an 2008 =[sm=smiley21.gif]That is about as bad as seeing a new car with black steel wheels with purdy hubcaps on them from the factory. Did you use the Castrol LMA fluid or Castrol SRF?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

I HATE DRUMS!

Y'all should never complain! My mountaineer has THE WORST BRAKES EVER!!! They were really bad before I just had my brake master cylinder replaced. Sad part is my brother and wife's co-worker have explorer sport tracs and the brakes are wayyyy better.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:14 PM

Chas: I believe it was the LMA. Got it at Advance at the time, but, my local one doesn't carry it anymore. When I replace the brake fluid in the Jag, I'll have to find some decent stuff to use - what do you reccomend?

Regards:
Oldengineer