X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear control arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default rear control arms

was wondering if someone has pics and instruction on how to change the rear lower control arms. Also how to adjust the toe.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

satwarez, replacing the rear control arms is really easy, well, atleast the front lowers. They are held in place by 2 bolts (one at the spindle, one on the frame). Based on what you have posted in your other posting, your problem is the forward lower arms, not the rear lowers. Replacing the rear lowers as I recall is a little more difficult, but not that hard:
-place car on jackstands and remove rear tire on the affected side
-place a jack under the coil spring and place a slight amount of upward force (1/2" of upward movement is more than enough).
-disconnect lower shock mount and disconnect the sway bar attachment
-remove the bolt on the spindle for the lower control arm
-support the spindle using a jackstand or other suitable device
-lower on the jack to remove all force from the coil spring (make sure the spindle remains stationary to prevent over extending the rear CV joints) and then remove the spring
-remove the bolt near the center of the car for the lower control arm and then remove the control arm.

Of note, you will probably want to atleast match mark the bolt to the frame to get a general idea of where the bolt needs to go back to when you reassemble things. Not required, but does make getting things re-aligned much easier.

As for the toe, you can get it close by using 2 tape measures. The big thing will be getting a straight shot through the rear of the car since you will need the tape measures about 180 degrees from each other and at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. As for adjusting the toe, the bolts are located near the center of the car, just under the rear differential. They use an offset washer to move the rear lower control arm in and out.

Last edited by Thermo; 01-06-2011 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
satwarez (01-12-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Thanks thermo. i did a visual inspection under the rear end and found that the rear front lower control arm bushing is totally busted. i will order the part, change it and let you know the results.

thanks in advance

Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM

thanks again thermo. part changed car drives fine.