X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Driver's Side Squeak???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear Driver's Side Squeak???

SO yesterday I took a short 2 hour trip to visit my grandma for her birthday. I decided to take the Jaguar to stretch her legs...Everything went fine until just about when I arrived home i started noticing this 'squeak'/ mattress spring noise coming from the drivers side rear tire area. For those of you that have lived or live in a city, you know the noise bad taxi cabs make when they go over bumps? its making that noise... I went underneath and tried lubing all the joints up to no avail. Any suggestions on a remedy and or what part needs to be replaced? This is on a 03' X-type Sport

Thanks Fella's

Old 07-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Did you lube the e-brake cable where it rides in the bushing? It's on the rear passenger side but it's a known squeaker.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

My X makes the exact same squeak. I have narrowed it down to the pivot point for the rear suspension located in front of the driver side rear wheel, below the rear door. When I have someone else push down on the back corner of the car I can hear the noise coming from that pivot point.

That's as far as I've taken it, been too hot in the garage to start deeper investigations.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type
been too hot in the garage to start deeper investigations.
LOL.....you've got an X-type......better invest in an aircon. for the garage!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:22 AM

Yes I greased up the e-brake grommet on the underside of the car hoping that was the likely case but to no avail.

So far i've jacked the car up by the spring support and was able to still replicate the 'squeak' noise by lifting up on the wheel well arche of the car (dangerous I know)I've greased and lubed everything on that side of the car and the noise is still present.

Question though is if it is a bad sway bar link or something as mentioned in previous post's regarding this issue, where might one find parts for it or what places do you guys use to buy parts for your X-type?

I like my car i'm just not going to drive around town with that embarrassing squeak/ groan

Old 07-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by badplan1
Yes I greased up the e-brake grommet on the underside of the car hoping that was the likely case but to no avail.

So far i've jacked the car up by the spring support and was able to still replicate the 'squeak' noise by lifting up on the wheel well arche of the car (dangerous I know)I've greased and lubed everything on that side of the car and the noise is still present.

Question though is if it is a bad sway bar link or something as mentioned in previous post's regarding this issue, where might one find parts for it or what places do you guys use to buy parts for your X-type?

I like my car i'm just not going to drive around town with that embarrassing squeak/ groan
Did a little more research, the part I am referring to is the trailing arm, and there are bushings in those.

I found all of the parts with a diagram breakdown at:

http://www.jaguarpartscenter.com/

I will be ordering a set to see if that takes care of the "squeaky mattress" sound.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type
Did a little more research, the part I am referring to is the trailing arm, and there are bushings in those.

I found all of the parts with a diagram breakdown at:

http://www.jaguarpartscenter.com/

I will be ordering a set to see if that takes care of the "squeaky mattress" sound.
lube the e-brake and replace the control arm bushings. Your squeak should go. I guess this is an age related more than mileage issue. I had to to do it on my 07 X type with only 12,000 miles on it or so. No squeaks now!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM

So is it the control arm bushings or trailing arm would you think... Can you tell im trying to do this as cheap as possible haha or could it be both? what im asking is what the most likley cause?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by badplan1
So is it the control arm bushings or trailing arm would you think... Can you tell im trying to do this as cheap as possible haha or could it be both? what im asking is what the most likley cause?
If you're playing the odds, a quick forum search shows that the control arm bushes cause more noise. There are very few mentions of trailing arm noise in this forum.

I have ordered the trailing arm bushings and will spend a weekend on it soon, I am also replacing my ARB bushings with polyurethane universal equivalents while I'm under there.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my car squeaking noise was coming from lower control arm bushings and when I sprayed some oil in it it stopped but another story is that I changed them and it was awful sight with them, http://gallery.photo.net/photo/11308373-lg.jpg
and now my Jag is totally different car to drive, the difference is huge!