X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear halfshaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 12:56 PM
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Rear halfshaft removal

I found this (Thanks Dell): https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lacement-1982/

I am confused on removing the halfshaft from the "final drive" (what I would call the rear differential) in the article from Jaguar Enthusiast. The article says there is a circlip holding the inner CV and the circlip must be disengaged by "careful use of suitable levers". There is a plastic dust/debris cover at this joint, I don't see any circlip.

The shop manual simply says "remove the halfshaft". It has no mention of clips. Am I going to damage anything by just pulling on the halfshaft to get the inner CV disengaged?

Old 07-18-2021, 08:04 PM
Received 8,151 Likes on 4,917 Posts

A lever inserted into the plastic dust shield area will likely cause damage. Try getting behind it?

I would try a slide hammer to pull on the CV/Axle assy to dislodge the splined shaft. The 'circlip will collapse and pass through the drive gear but be careful not to damage the seal on the output flange.

The 'circlip' is a steel ring that will deform enough to fit into the groove machined for it.

You might re-use it but it is recommended to replace it with NEW. (examine for damage and use your judgement)

It is just like any Japanese CV axle in common use.

The following users liked this post:
dh53 (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 11:50 AM

Thanks motorcarman! I got a pry bar behind that dust cap as you said and worked the halfshaft out without much effort by prying on one side and then the other to get it moving out in a straight line. Removing the knuckle required the big breaker bar and the impact wrench but overall the job was surprisingly easy. The great thing about these big suspension bolts is the heads don't snap off when they are old and rusty like all the little bolts on this car.

Very thoughtful of Jaguar to have the end of the halfshaft spline, where it engages with the wheel hub, be a slightly smaller diameter than the ID of the threads. I could give it a whack with the 3lb hammer to disengage the spline and not worry about damaging any threads. Hopefully that didn't do any damage to the wheel bearing.

I did damage that plastic dust shield in one place but some JB Weld will fix it. The part is only pennies at SNG Barratt and Terry's Jag Parts so anyone thinking of doing this job, maybe buy one of these little dust caps in advance.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (07-20-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 09:46 PM

Closing the loop on replacing the ABS "tone rings" or "reluctance rings" on the rear of my 05 wagon; I bought an outer CV joint on eBay for about $70 and I bought just the reluctor ring from SNG Barrat for about $15. First I went at the passenger side per the article referenced at the top of this thread, originally published in the magazine Jaguar Enthusiast. I replaced the outer CV joint this way. It worked, I got the half shaft out and replaced the outer CV joint with new reluctor ring. It was painful and fidgety to get the halfshaft out and back in and took me about 4 hours.

On the driver's side I also:
1) I disconnected the e-brake cable from the caliper. This way the caliper and suspension are not tied together.
2) I disconnected the bottom bolt holding the shock absorber to the wheel knuckle.

I cannot recommend this method enough. I was able to free the axle from the knuckle, cut the old reluctor ring off with a Dremel grinding wheel, chisel off the rust under the old reluctor wheel, wire brush everything, and get a new reluctor ring epoxied on. Entire process was under an hour.