X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Parking sensors

Hi, I have owned my X Type for 3 years. When I purchased the car the rear parking sensors were not working. I fitted a new switch under the battery tray and cured the problem. I noticed yesterday that they have stopped working again. Could it be that same switch packed up already ? Is there a way to test the switch before I buy another ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Suffolkman

Old 06-27-2020, 06:28 AM

I have now also realized that my reversing lights are also not working.

Suffolkman

Old 06-27-2020, 07:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Suffolkman, if your reverse lights are not working, then this pretty much confirms that the switch is bad. That switch applies 12VDC to the back up lights and there is a tap that comes off of that circuit that goes to the module that tells the back up sensors to turn on. So, having both not working pretty much confirms the switch. If replacing the switch does not fix things, then you either have a bad fuse or the wiring from front to back in the car has been damaged. If you don't know what fuse does the back up lights, let me know and I will tell you the fuse number (I just need to know the year of your car)

Unfortunately, some cars seem to eat through these switches. This is a fairly common problem with the manual transmission cars.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:49 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

HI Suffolk man, Have you checked the fuse? It happened to me a few years back and it was the switch but there's quite a few threads on here describing how to check going through the fuse numbers etc. The fuses also have a habit of working lose. A relatively easy test is to bridge the cables on top of the switch with the ignition on and put in reverse if it switches everything on, sounds like the switch has bust again, if not Id look at the fuses, then if that's not the answer start buzzing the cable through if you have an ohm meter. Assuming its a manual gearbox.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:19 AM

Thanks both for your replies. Annoying since I learned all this a couple of years ago (now forgotten) when I fixed it the first time. The fuses concerned are F2 Ithink for the reverse switch, and F33 for the sensors. Firstly, as suggested I will pull the cable from the switch and bridge them..see what happens, will let you know. Thanks again.

Suffolkman

Old 06-27-2020, 08:24 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Suffolkman, if your reverse lights are not working, then this pretty much confirms that the switch is bad. That switch applies 12VDC to the back up lights and there is a tap that comes off of that circuit that goes to the module that tells the back up sensors to turn on. So, having both not working pretty much confirms the switch. If replacing the switch does not fix things, then you either have a bad fuse or the wiring from front to back in the car has been damaged. If you don't know what fuse does the back up lights, let me know and I will tell you the fuse number (I just need to know the year of your car)

Unfortunately, some cars seem to eat through these switches. This is a fairly common problem with the manual transmission cars.
Hi Thermo

Hope you're well. Must have been typing at the same time. Just hijacking this post for a second, but while you're on here, should there be a light under the bonnet, and if so where is it situated?

Old 06-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Hex, there is no light under the bonnet. This has been a comment by a lot of people. Some people have gone as far as to simply get a battery operated LED light that has a push button. So, you would open the bonnet and then turn on the light to get the light you need. Some have also rigged up an electric LED light and then have a switch that they flick on to get light that way. Up to you. The battery operated version is probably safer for the long term as you can't drain the car battery. But, you can get tons more light using the car battery. If you need ideas, let me know. I can give you a few options.

The following users liked this post:
Hex Type (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 04:13 AM

Just an update on the parking sensor problem. I removed the wires from the reverse switch. bridged the two contacts...Voila, problem solved. It is indeed the switch gone faulty again. Thanks for all the contributions.

Suffolkman