Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall WTF????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Recall WTF????

So I have a bad cooling fan control module and so I found that this problem had been addressed by jag and they issued a recall. I looked up what vin numbers were affected and this is what it turned out:

My vin is SAJEB53C92WC75096

Recall VIN C00294-C91719

Once I see this, I'm excited that I don't have to do the repair myself so I call the Jag dealership. I give him my vin # and he says "your car has no recalls." Then I say that I am looking at what Vin #'s were affected and mine clearly falls in the mark. He repeats what he said before and then says "have a good day sir." WTF

Old 06-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Time to ask for a supervisor or go there in person

Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Well what I was wondering is if I call another jag dealership and see what I get, or should I call jaguar usa and see what happens? The fact that he said my car has no recalls makes me skeptical because its an 02 built in march so it much has MANY problems

Old 06-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Disguay, I think you might be confusing a recall with a technical service bulletin. I think what you are referencing is something that Jaguar alerted the dealers to do on cars in that vin range that were not yet sold. It is NOT a recall as in something that the dealer is required to fix as part of a NHTSA order. Sorry, but I think the dealer gave you the correct info and you are SOL.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XT303-S932[1].pdf (72.2 KB, 315 views)
Old 06-17-2011, 12:55 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Ya, but at least the dealer knows what the problem is and how to resolve it. That should minimize shop time to diagnose and fix the problem.

Likewise if you can obtain the TSB notice that should instruct you, or a local repair shop where you take your car for "minor" stuff, what to do.
================================================== ====
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 06-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,910 Likes on 7,169 Posts

Originally Posted by disguay
Well what I was wondering is if I call another jag dealership and see what I get, or should I call jaguar usa and see what happens? The fact that he said my car has no recalls makes me skeptical because its an 02 built in march so it much has MANY problems

If you call another dealership and simply ask "Does my VIN have any outstanding recalls?" you'll get the same answer. They'll punch the VIN into the database and the answer will be yes or no.

If you ask about cooling fan problems the answer might depend on the knowledge and technical background of who answers the phone. It can vary quite a bit :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 06-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,905 Likes on 3,209 Posts

disguay, also keep in mind that the manufacturer only has to repair what is covered under a "recall" (seems there is some question on this at the moment). So, if the previous owner had the recall done, then you are out of luck. Unfortunately, this is how things work. I can't say that I have heard of a recall for the fan modules. It doesn't honestly fall in the relm of a recall as it doesn't affect the safety of the vehicle. But then, some manufacturers will do what is right and make it a recall issued by themselves.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Well I have decided that I probably just over reacted. Still makes me angry that they would fix it before they sell them but kept the others driving. Found one on ebay for $75 so I'm just going to buy it and swap the old one. Just a little pissed at why they wouldn't recall it if they were fixing every car they had on their lot. At least it isn't something that costs a lot of money though. Thanks for all your help though. I really appreciate it

Old 06-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

thats a tech service bulletin and not a recall. also even if it was and the recall had been done and you had another failure it no longer applies cause a recall is only done once. it does not get a lifelong warranty for a part replaced under a recall.
that bulletin was for predelivered units. We also did them when " a customer experiances this problem" TSB's are how the manufacturer wants a repair done for a certain repair on a failed part. Things like DO NOT replace a transmission when we have found that a software update is needed to fix this problem etc etc... Yes there were X's with failed fan modules. But many more still running around that never did....
TSB's and RECALLS are not 1 in the same or interchangable for meaning and for who pays for what

Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dealership mechanics can be a pain in the *** sometimes....

Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by jagzrule
Maybe you are just trying to bump up your post count, but you need not make derogatory comments to do it.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 04:58 PM

^^^^ yeah i guess we can

Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by plumsauce
Maybe you are just trying to bump up your post count, but you need not make derogatory comments to do it.
AND YET HE WANTS FREE ADVISE, FROM THE VERY TECHS(THAT WORK AT DEALERS) THAT SHARE OUR KNOWLEDGE AND TIME. AND PEOPLE WONDER WHY I GET PISSY SOMETIMES

Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  19.3 KB

Jagzrule - you are new here with a post count of 5 so may be unaware, please let me make things clear for you.

We DO NOT Disrespect our Techs here who give their time and knowledge freely.
Any outight negative comments towards tech who help members to save $$$ sometimes even $$$$ on their vehicles will not be tolerated.

Your posting priveleges have been suspended for 5 days with immediate effect.

Any further posts of a similar nature will result in a permanent ban

Jaguardoc504 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

You may not be pleased with the service you are getting and you may be miss directed on what a TSB is but keep in mind that a TSB is not a free ride. I ask that you bring your comments down a notch. As for the Techs on this forum you could not ask for better assistance and I stand behind them 100%. Also +1 on Jims comments.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

Yes we can be a pain, but the customers can also be asses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I now have my own shop and the customers are unusually friendly because I don't have a supervisor or any higher-up that they can bitch to!!!

I am fair and to the point but I can also tell the customer to GET LOST easier than a dealer.

I rarely have a problem but I remember that some dealer customers have the 'squeaky wheel' syndrome.
Complain and get a freebee or a discount!!

This only works once or twice and then the service writer starts really finding ways to HAMMER the customer on regular maintenance issues.

People are People!!! some are just idiots!!!

Find friendly service people and stick with them!! (and get rid of the ***#$@! customers)

bob gauff

Doug (06-25-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

TSBs are still golden, you have no idea how many TSBs that were issued for my car that allowed myself to get the correct parts - there's a parts list right on the last page, and detailed instructions with pictures to do it correctly. I've only had a TSB performed, at least part of it, by my dealer when it required a software update as part of the instructions. I say a TSB is better than a kick in the crotch, and you'll be just as thankful one day as the veteran members are, that we have these current, and ex-technicians who not only supply many of these mystery documents, but walk us through some of the more difficult steps.

You want to see a pain in the ***, you should be around my exgirlfriend one special week a month, and no brutal, I'm not directly comparing you to hormonal female. lol

Old 06-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Honestly, I think that customers and jag techs would get along if there was no money involved. For that matter, I think the greater percentage of the population would get along well with any given individual if money wasn't a factor. I think humans just get pissy when they have to deal with money in general... To prove this I have created a scenario. A customer walks in and wants their left headlight repaired and the tech doesn't have to go off of the prices that Jaguar makes them follow, but instead off of what a part costs from a junkyard. The customer leaves satisfied knowing that their money got used to the best of its ability.... but lets remember it's not the jag techs that are setting the prices, but rather a higher Jaguar power. I feel like Jag techs are put in a hard place because they have to ask you for a certain amount of money that they cannot control and this makes the customer pissy.

so, in short, money corrupts.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,910 Likes on 7,169 Posts

Originally Posted by disguay
Honestly, I think that customers and jag techs would get along if there was no money involved. For that matter, I think the greater percentage of the population would get along well with any given individual if money wasn't a factor.

And, no religion, and no politics, and no possesions, and...and.... :-). Just listen to John Lennon's "Imagine".

But coming back down to earth......

.....tech doesn't have to go off of the prices that Jaguar makes them follow, but instead off of what a part costs from a junkyard. The customer leaves satisfied knowing that their money got used to the best of its ability.... but lets remember it's not the jag techs that are setting the prices, but rather a higher Jaguar power. I feel like Jag techs are put in a hard place because they have to ask you for a certain amount of money that they cannot control and this makes the customer pissy.

so, in short, money corrupts.

The higher power would be dealership management.

The dealer buys a part at x-y-z price and they can resell it for whatever amount they wish. Similarly, he buys labor at a-b-c price and can resell it for whatever amount they see fit. They can give it all away for free if they want (lots of customers but the store goes broke) or they can charge wayyyy too much (losing customers...and the store goes broke) or they can analyze their market and adjust pricing to give a healthy profit (no shame in that) AND keep customers.

If the shop is full of customers at whatever prices they charge they really don't have any reason to lower their prices....as they are successfully charging "what the market will bear". If the shop is empty, well, pricing will be one of the first things they'll look at. That's business .... no matter if you're selling hamburgers or fan controllers or whatever.

Many, not all, dealers have policies against used parts. There are potential problems and liabilities involved and these must be weighed against the advantages of selling the job versus having the customer go down the street to another shop who WILL install used parts. AFAIC, giving the customer options on how the repair can be made is usually good business...but a shop must be careful and selective to prevent all parties involved from walking away unhappy.

Dealership pricing is geared towards the well-heeled clientele who buy the cars new, not towards the likes of me....people who buy a Jag for $5000-$10000 (less than a few-years-old Honda Civic). Fancy cars are like having a supermodel for a girlfreind: getting one and keeping one are two different things :-).

Enough rambling.....

Cheers
DD

Old 06-26-2011, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Fancy cars are like having a supermodel for a girlfreind: getting one and keeping one are two different things :-).
DD
Couldn't have said it any better myself. haha

Quick Reply: Recall WTF????