X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recirculate won't work manual fixes? coat hanger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 12:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Recirculate won't work manual fixes? coat hanger?

Hi Guys,

Live here in South Florida and looking for a temporary down and dirty fix to get my car off of full time fresh air and onto full time recirculate. A hundred years ago when i was in the auto industry and driving a $50 car we would grab a coat hanger down the vents and move it to recirculate. Times have changed but wondered if that can be done and if so what i need to worry about breaking or knocking off of it?

Been under the dash but still not 100 percent sure which stepper motor performs that task? Can someone point me to it. All other functions work flawless as far as dash, vent and floor buttons.

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Old 09-27-2019, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 747 Likes on 667 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Ronks2 (09-30-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 07:54 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I just did this on mine about 2 weeks ago and I will say when you do it DONT use to much glue because it will run back out of the hole and glue the flapper shaft to the air box. The one your looking for is right behind the glove box where the mesh grill that has a flapper behind it. The motor for it is on the left side of the box near the top. Opposite of that motor on the other side of the box is a hole that you can fit a 3/8 3” extension into so you can move the flapper into position when glueing the motor shaft back inside the hole it goes in

The following users liked this post:
Ronks2 (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 11:30 AM

Hi Guys thanks for chiming in. Spent the last 3 days doing continuing education for my licenses. So i hope to get to it later this week.

Looking at the dashboard in an American version How would be the best way to slip my 3/8 extension in the hole to adjust my flapper to recirc.

My car is an American version 2006 X-Type

I have printed out the Control component worksheet and it looks as if the air inlet blend door is on the top of the box by itself away from the other 3 stepper motors? Is this the correct motor? How do i access it? I have already removed the glove box but have not climbed up under yet.

Thanks again for any update you can continue to give me.

Regards,
Ron

Old 09-30-2019, 01:08 PM

Mine is a US model too but a 2002 and I’m not sure if it has been changed between a 02 and 06 but on mine if you have the glove box out look at the heater motor and directly above it is the flapper your in question about. You can actually remove the heater motor and reach up thru the hole and put your hand on the flapper. The flapper pivots on each end. One end has the motor on it ( to the left ) and straight across the air box is where the flapper goes into its pivotal point. Where that pivot point is ( right side of box ) is where you can insert a extension and rotate the flapper. HOWEVER you need to see first if your motor is working or has failed or has stripped out before trying to turn the flapper with a extension because it won’t turn if the motor is still connected to the other end. You can take the motor off and reconnect the plug and turn the car on and push the button on the dash and if the motor is good it will slowly turn and push button again and it will turn back the other way. If it does nothing then you need to replace the motor as the FIX I posted above won’t help you correct your problem.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:18 PM

Also like I said if you look at the heater motor then go straight up there will be the flapper and if your 06 is the same as my 02 then there will be like a plastic kind of grill with like 1”x 1” square holes in it and you can see the flapper thru those holes. The motor your looking for is the one to the left of that flapper. The other motors are more over to the left of the fan motor behind the radio and hvac controls. I removed the top motor ( of the 3 that are all next to each other ) to give me a little bit more room to help getting the screws out of the one that I had to fix in mine. And you will have to lay down and look up under the dash to see it all. And you have very limited room to use tools. I used a ratchet made for screwdriver bits because everything is so close you just don’t have the room

Old 09-30-2019, 02:39 PM

I will definitely get a good look at it later this week as you have given me some great instructions. I had printed out the update and have it here in front of me but the picture that i am looking at appears to have the flapper motor on top of the box. It looks almost behind the two vents in the center of the dash above the heater controls which is why i probably sound so confused.

Appreciate all the help and will run with what you have given me.

Will keep you updated as it goes on.

Ron

Old 09-30-2019, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 747 Likes on 667 Posts

You may want to try the reset procedure first, just to confirm you have a mechanical/electrical problem =

· Select full cooling -Lo
• Select full heating - Hi
• Back to full cooling
• Select face followed by floor
• Then select face again
• Finally select defrost

Old 10-01-2019, 10:22 AM

i did try this before i did the compressor valve swap, but i will try again now that i have a better understanding of the Jag system. Not expecting it to do anything but it is quick and easy.

Thanks Dell..

Old 10-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the instructions. I threw out the Jaguar bulletin and drawing and went by your description. I did have a problem with the blend door for recirculate and was right above the motor as you explained. pushed the door into recirc with my finger then screw driver and it now sits on full time recirc which is fine for me untill the weather down here breaks. Side note, between the recirc and compressor valve swap air now blows 40 degrees cooler than ambient temp.

Thanks again,

Ron

Old 10-10-2019, 08:27 AM

Good deal. Glad I was able to help. It’s not a hard fix but a pita because of having to lay across the door seal with your back to be able to see up in there lol.