X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Code readers

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommended Code readers

Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced diagnostic code reader to use on my Jaguar x-type 2.0D 2006 SE

Old 11-14-2020, 07:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Eddie, the best bang for the buck out there right now is the ELM327 unit. You are going to want the V2.1 version (the V1.8 will not work on your car). From there, get a free program like Torque (android based program, there are others out there for Apple's). From there, that will give you most of the info that you will need (error codes, live data, etc).

YOu mention "Washington" as your location, Washington DC, Washington State or is this an area over in Europe? I only ask as you mention you have the 2.0D, but when you say Washington, I think DC or state. But then, I am in the US and they never released the diesel engine in the US. So, just making sure we have all the info.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the info Thermo, sorry for misleading you. I live in Washington England birthplace of your George Washington. Have corrected it

Old 11-14-2020, 01:29 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Eddie,
I use the icarsoft i930.
As well as reading and clearing codes, it also gives live data and does abs and srs, and park assist and more.

As I have two 2.2d x types, it is very good for checking fuel rail pressure and all other sensors.
I am pleased that I bought this scanner.

Paul.

Last edited by Man on the hill; 11-14-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:03 AM

Thanks Paul, will chase one up

Old 11-17-2020, 06:56 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Steady

If you have a decent laptop with blue-tooth capabilities I bought a Streetwise blue-tooth OBD2 diagnostic code reader £10.95 then Car scanner pro app £2.50 that shows codes, allows resetting and gives live data as a budget purchase.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:02 AM
Smile Steady Eddie

Originally Posted by Hex Type
Hi Steady

If you have a decent laptop with blue-tooth capabilities I bought a Streetwise blue-tooth OBD2 diagnostic code reader £10.95 then Car scanner pro app £2.50 that shows codes, allows resetting and gives live data as a budget purchase.
Many thanks Hex Type, will certainly give that a go. Can't complain at that price. No major issues at the moment but car goes into limp mode for no particular reason, even when just idling.
Although it's guaranteed to when I put my foot down in any gear.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:44 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the limp mode club.... mines just started doing it, my reader says complete EGR system failure, but its a process of elimination to get to the actual cause. I have been trying to find a wiring diagram so I can buzz the sensors voltage to see if the signals are getting through. Could be MAF, could be EGR, could be Actuator, I have a feeling mine is wiring as Id been working around the loom connection and the cables in these are poor quality and old when the fault started.

The code reader will give you an indication of the fault, and a bit of a heads up, clear the faults a few times as sometimes they go away without any mechanical intervention.. Good luck and keep posting if you find the fault

Old 11-18-2020, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hex Type
Welcome to the limp mode club.... mines just started doing it, my reader says complete EGR system failure, but its a process of elimination to get to the actual cause. I have been trying to find a wiring diagram so I can buzz the sensors voltage to see if the signals are getting through. Could be MAF, could be EGR, could be Actuator, I have a feeling mine is wiring as Id been working around the loom connection and the cables in these are poor quality and old when the fault started.

The code reader will give you an indication of the fault, and a bit of a heads up, clear the faults a few times as sometimes they go away without any mechanical intervention.. Good luck and keep posting if you find the fault
So far have cleaned out the EGR and inlet manifold, changed the glow plugs and replaced the cam position sensor. Seems to be better but still goes into limp mode if I accelerate hard. Next step is to clean the turbo in situ then have a look at the actuator as it seems a poor/dry joint on the PCB can be a problem. Let you know

Old 11-18-2020, 10:02 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Eddie,
You need to read the codes before guessing what could be wrong and replacing components.
BTW when did you last have the fuel filter replaced ?

Paul.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As HexType said, don’t discount the possibility of a wire from one of the harnesses. After I changed my plugs and put everything back together the car went into limp mode with gear box failure and I forget the other terrifying warning. The codes were pointing to throttle position sensor. Knowing that I was working in that area and past experience with a Saab, I decided to give a gentle tug on each of the wires in the TPS harness. Sure enough the yellow wire popped right out with no resistance. So I stripped off a little more of the insulation, stuck it all the way in the harness and used a sewing pin to stick through the insulation and wire and on up into the harness to help wedge it in there. Check engine and warnings went away and it has been fine since.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steady Eddie
Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced diagnostic code reader to use on my Jaguar x-type 2.0D 2006 SE

I drive an '03 X type and use the Autel AutoLink AL519 OBD2 Scanner for about $50. Used others that could read the codes but unable to delete or reset the code or check engine as this one does.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone tried using Forscan on the X-Type? It is an application for Ford cars that does more than any other code reader and the Jag engine is really a souped up Ford Duratec, right? Forscan is fre and jsu need a OBDC adapter to your laptop. There is an Android.IPad Version but it does not allow changing the codes as the Windows version does.
I have a very basic Actron cp9575 that will read and erase Jaguar codes but it is limited since it cannot read the code history and does not interface with the internet to get detailed information on the codes so you have to search them yourself. Being able to read the history allows you to see the codes that trigger the Service Engine light on and off and not only the ones that are active.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:23 AM

As requested Hex here is an update. Got a streetwise OB2 and got car scanner app. codes that popped up P1041 (powertrain?), then what looked like two related codes P0098 intake air temp sensor 2 - circuit high voltage and P1100 MAF sensor intermittent fault. Changed MAF sensor and cleared codes. Now no codes come up but limp mode still light comes on. Comes on when car starts first thing, then engine cuts out after about a mile driving. Restart car and light stays out and everything runs fine. Sometimes it starts in morning with no light but comes on after idling for 10 min, then have to wait until it warms up and restart and its ok. Weird seems to be a problem with a cold engine