Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: Reliability

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  7.4 KB

Hey M driver, I have included a bried rundown below of the X and some of the early problems I have highlighted for you. One that isn't listed is the dash vents that "lift" slightly. Its not a major problem more of an annoyance really and I believe was corrected on 2003 >

Hope you find this useful

Jim
[align=left][/align]

[align=center]2.5 & 3.0 Litre V6 AWD (2002 onward)[/align]
The 2002 X-type was introduced in May, 2001 as Jaguar's first (and so far only) AWD production vehicle. The base model was originally priced at $29,900 USD, making it Jaguar's first entry level luxury saloon. Quickly nicknamed "Baby Jag", the entry model came with a 2.5L V6 engine mated to a 5 speed manual transmission. An optional 5 speed automatic listed for about $ 1500 but despite the low price, the US base X-type came equipped with leather, climate control and power everything.
For those seeking more power, a 3.0L V6 w/ 5 speed automatic offered significantly better performance although the basic 2.5 liter engined version is quick enough for most drivers, especially with the 5 speed manual gearbox. The larger engined model was retailing around $35 000 but included the automatic transmission; the manual gearbox was a no cost option on the 3.0
The North American standard trim package reflected very closely the European SE, with chrome bumper blades and leather seats, whilst stitched cloth upholstery was standard in the European "Classic" option. Interestingly, the base model North American X-types and Classic European models were supplied w/ Dorchester gray grille vanes inside the chrome grille surround, whist the chrome grille vanes are only supplied in the European SE version. Both European and North American models offered a "Sport" package as well, with subtle differences between the markets.
As with many new models, the X-type had a few 'bugs' associated with the initial model year, including:
[ul]Leaking/dripping washer jets
Defective boot latch
Faulty J-gate selector
Vibration issues (Sometimes poor tires/balancing, sometimes a prop-shaft problem)
Faulty drivers door latch
"Squeaky" rear seat
Faulty Thermostats, resulting in "High Engine Temperature" warnings
Weak center arm rest [/ul]

Most of these quirks have now be corrected under warranty and shouldn't be a problem if you are looking at an early X-type.
The North American '02 X-type had the following special packages available with purchase -
[ul]X1 Premium package - Sun roof, 70/30 split rear seats, power passenger seat, dimming monochromatic rear view mirror, auto headlights, auto wipers, reverse park control, voice activation pre-wire, message center and trip computer, and "homelink" door opener gadgetry.
X2 Sport Package (requires X1 as a base) - 17"wheels, molded matching exterior trim instead of chrome, sport seats, dark stained maple, Dynamic Stability Control, limited color choices, and tighter suspension.
X3 Weather Package (requires X1 as a base) - heated seats, heated window washers, and Dynamic Stability Control. [/ul]

Individual options available included Xenon lights, Navigation System, Alpine stereo system, and Jag Net, all requiring X1 as a base. 8-way power driver's seat (as well as separate passenger seat option) was also available as an individual option without the X1 package.

For 2003, the X-type was provided without most of the problems found in the initial '02 models. Besides the better quality build, there was not much new included w/ for the 2003 models .
2004 saw minor updates introduced on the X-type, including standard two cup holders, a standard wood/leather wrapped steering wheel, and Larger 16" tires for the North American 2.5L version, and 17" tires on the 3.0L and Sport models. Very Large 18" tires are also available on the 3.0L sport model.
The '04 X-type also sprouted a wider boot plinth, and found the boot latch release button located under the edge of the boot, which eliminated the freezing issues found w/ the push button location on the face of the boot. The silver trim on the boot was also found to be a bit wider, and the once standard puddle lights were replaced w/ reflectors.
Heated washer jets and mirrors are also provided as standard, and a moon-roof package is provided separately from the original "X1 Premium" package for the North American 2.5 model, whilst being standard for the 3.0L.
The new Salsa, Ultraviolet, and Radiance colors were also introduced, while the Phoenix red color was eliminated.
The interior found "Sand" replaced w/ "Champagne", and for the first time a carbon-fiber trim package was made available as an option to the traditional wood veneers.
In 2005, Jaguar introduced a Vanden Plas edition of the 3.0 Litre X-type on the north American market featuring more luxurious appointments including burl walnut interior trim, rain sensing wipers, dual stage heated front seats, premium sound system and more.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

No problems with mine (3.0 Sport Manual) which I have owned for 2.5 years (bought with 49k now at 72k) other than a speed sensor needed replacing.
Best car I have ever had in 22 years and owned around 40 cars including BMW,Fords,Toyota MR2T,etc.
I usually replace at least once a year but this one ismine until I've had it 5 years.The feeling of safety is 2nd to none in any car that I have driven (I drive a lot at our bodyshop) due to the AWD it sits firmly in rain, snow, greasy roads, etc. Great car.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  7.4 KB

quote]ORIGINAL: BuckMR2
No problems with mine (3.0 Sport Manual) which I have owned for 2.5 years (bought with 49k now at 72k) other than a speed sensor needed replacing.
Best car I have ever had in 22 years and owned around 40 cars including BMW,Fords,Toyota MR2T,etc.
I usually replace at least once a year but this one ismine until I've had it 5 years.The feeling of safety is 2nd to none in any car that I have driven (I drive a lot at our bodyshop) due to the AWD it sits firmly in rain, snow, greasy roads, etc. Great car.
[/quote]

No arguement from me on that one Buck.........Although its my wifes daily driver and I have the A6, I love to have a blast now n then. Even just a leisurely trip out n about once in a while as its a real head turner.
Its an 02 ( early model with the " bugs" )..........onll really noticed the dash vents popping up now n then and a slightly tempramental drivers door handle. It had 16k miles on it after 4 years, I've had it a year and put around 9k miles on it and had no real issues to speak of.
I changed the headlight bulbs to an upgraded version as the lighting output is / was poor. The brakes were replaceed with EBC pads n discs, but they needed doing anyway.
During the winter we had some snow.......Ours was one of the few cars that could make it out of the road due to the snow n ice........nice one
Beautiful car to drive.......love it, love it!!

Do yourself a favour...go get one......just shop around as there are serious bargains to be had.

Jim