X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote unlock = $350??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010 | 01:21 PM
|
Default Remote unlock = $350??

I just recently bought a 2005 X-type. It came only with 2 simple keys, and no remote door unlocker.

I called Jaguar. They charge $250 + programming "labor" = $350 total.

Is there any other way? Any other places I might be able to get the remote unlocker cheaper?

Old 11-11-2010 | 01:47 PM

Ebay...

Old 11-11-2010 | 02:26 PM

By simple keys, do you mean a key with a head or the key half of the remote/key fob?

The remote half can be easily obtained from ebay. However, the key part (if you want brand new) will need to be from the parts at the dealer from my experience.

Now, as far as the programming the remote goes:

Programming a New Remote:
1. Insert the key into the ignition with driver door open.
2. Turn key to Position II (all lights on dash are lit) and back to I four times
3. You will hear a chime.
4. Pull key out.
5. Press unlock button on remote for each remote. A confirmation tone should sound for each.

Dan and Steve at Nalley Jaguar (www.nalleyjaguar.com) in Roswell, GA, on 1-800-328-4833 may be of help on the key half. Just tell them you're a member on Jaguar Forums.

Programming a new key:
Note: You MUST have two coded keys to start with.
1. Start the car with known good key.
2. Shut off and remove as soon as it starts.
3. Put in next known good key and repeat followed by up to another two keys.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2010 | 02:49 PM
|

It looks like a key with a head. Says "FO-6.P" on the back.

Old 11-11-2010 | 04:02 PM

It's real easy to tell the difference. Let me illustrate.

To start, I'm guessing you have two of the first picture.

The second and third pictures are of the remote/key fob with the key locked in and out.

The fourth picture shows the remote half. This one is easy to get on ebay.

What you dont' see in the fourth picture is the key half which is the upper part of the fob. This one, you would want brand new and not just with the blade replaced since the plastic holding it in eventually wears.

The tricky part is to get the keys cut when you buy it. So, you may want to check the parts guys locally first and see how much that would cost. Then, call Dan or Steve at Nalley Jaguar and see if they'd be able to help you with this.

Since you have two working keys, you should be able to program the keys and remotes yourself.

Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Remote unlock = 0??-remote.jpg   Remote unlock = 0??-key-out.jpg   Remote unlock = 0??-remote-half.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2010 | 04:29 PM
|

Exrub, I can't view the images you posted. Guess I don't have permissions yet??

So are you saying that I should buy the remote half of the key, and then insert my "regular keys" or...?

Old 11-11-2010 | 05:03 PM

Let's try it this way.

I'm sure you have access to ebaymotors, right?

Here goes:

Is this the key you have? Item #160504097159. If so, they can still be used as spares/backups once you get your remotes together.

Here's what the key/remote fob looks like with the key extented. Item #170562256012.

Notice that this ad says "cut key". This will not help you so avoid.

Here's what the remote half looks like. Item #260688411310 and #120643645336. In fact, I bought mine from these two vendors. One has the "Buy It Now" option while the other requires you to be patient. Either one would be a lot cheaper than from a dealer, though, even if you get two from the one with "Buy It Now" option.

Notice the difference between the remote half and the fob together. The upper portion with the button to release the key is the key half. This is the piece that I recommend you get from a dealer parts dept since what you normally see on ebay will say "new blade". This means new blade ONLY.

Now, when you fold the key in, it looks like this. Item #230521580096.

Hope this helps!

PS Hurry up and get 10 posts in so you can start to see all the pics that other members are posting. There are some nice pics of cars and others.

Last edited by exrub; 11-11-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2010 | 07:23 AM
|

Exrub,

Thanks a ton. This is certainly pointing me in the right direction.

Question: Can I just buy item #230521580096 and then program it and be done?

I called Jaguar and they said the key part costs $62, and another $100 to program. So - assuming your answer is ""No" to my first question above, all I have to do is buy the remote part off Ebay, buy the $62 key half from Jaguar, and then I can program it myself using your instructions in your earlier post?

Old 11-12-2010 | 07:59 AM

G'morning, Tim!

Since you called Jaguar about the key part, I assume you have the individual keys now.

If I was getting ready to do what it sounds like you need to do, here's how I'd do it:

First, since you have two of the keys, I would get two remote halves. Personally, just to make things easier, I would just use the "Buy It Now" options for Items 120643645336 and 110608283224 since these are both offered by Remotez4Less. Why? In case there's an additional savings (though not much) on the shipping.

Second, I would get the two key halves from Jaguar. Did you check to see if they'd cut it for you? A lot of places will require proof of ownership of the vehicle to cut it. If they can, get both of them cut by them. May or may not cost you to get it cut, but if they do it for free, you're saving the money you'd pay a locksmith (who cuts these keys since not all of them might) to cut them for you.

Third, make sure you hold onto the two keys you have since you'll need both to program the new keys. Once the parts arrive, program each following the instructions provided earlier. You simply slide/snap the remote and key halves to make one fob unit.

Fourth, put the individual keys aside as spares/emergency keys.

This will result in you having two usable key/remote fobs for your car. Also, in case you happen to lose or destroy one of the fobs, you can get replacements and program them yourself, again.

Overall, you'll pay a lot less than to get the whole thing from a dealer AND you won't have to pay for the programming. The dealer folks don't want you to know that the programming can be done yourself. That being said, if you only had one working key to start, you're stuck with having to pay the dealer do it.

Whew! Got all that?

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2010 | 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Timxxl
Exrub,
Question: Can I just buy item #230521580096 and then program it and be done?
In response to this question, I would avoid this type of listing. It's very rare to see someone selling a brand new key part for some reason. What you normally see is one that the person replaced the key blade (ONLY) into the old plastic housing. Unfortunately, with a lot of key turning movement, the plastic housing part is what actually wears out and eventually break or no longer work since there's no resistance to turn the key blade in ignition. That's why I HIGHLY recommend getting a new key half from the dealer even though it may cost a bit more. Better safe than sorry, you know.

Old 11-12-2010 | 09:57 AM
|

Awesome thanks all.

Exrub yes I do in fact have these keys: #160504097159. And yes, the Jag dealership price of $62 includes cutting it.

finally - Is there any reason I need to buy 2 key halves? I only really need 1 remote key I would think since I have two spare "regular key" backups.

Old 11-12-2010 | 10:16 AM

I was giving you instructions on how I would do it. I like to have multiple sets/fobs. In my example, it was to create two key/remote fobs.

For instance, here goes my ODC, I like to have one for me, one for the wife, and one for service. In addition, I normally have (again OCD) one for my collection. Yes; I think I have a set of keys for every vehicle I've owned in my life. I may not have the very first car I've driven, though. However, I have one for each of the cars that I've bought. I plan to tag them and put them in a display or something. I know...crazy.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Yes, if you're fine with having one fob, that's fine. Just make sure you have the two "keys" stashed away.

Good luck!