X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairs - Should I DIY or Let Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,929 Likes on 3,225 Posts

Bruserker, like I said, most of it you can do yourself and save a lot of money. Now go out and celebrate the savings and have a good time. You will still come out way ahead.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

where did you get the coolant tank from?
my girls is cracked, i patched it but its more like the plastic has a ton of weak points in it and they split open all over the whole tank...there was probably 10 hairline cracks in it.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure where he got the coolant reservoir, but they're only $145 from the Jag Dealer.

Just in case some one else is wondering how easy it is to swap out the coolant reservoir...

I noticed something leaking under the car and quickly found I had a hairline crack on the bottom of the coolant reservoir. I called Jag and they wanted $350 to replace it. I paid $145 for the part and decided to do it myself instead.

Simply remove the small screw/bolt on the front bottom of the tank. Use a turkey baster or something to get as much of the coolant out of the tank as possible.

You'll see a wire harness that is held to the tank by plastic tabs. Carefully remove the tabs from the tank. You'll lock these back into the new reservoir when finished.

Remove the clips/small hoses from the top back of the tank (2 of them). Remove the clip and small hose from the front of the tank. You'll be left with one large hose on the bottom left of the tank. DO NOT REMOVE THIS YET.

Twist the entire tank counterclockwise to unlock it from the metal tabs. Once the tank is free, remove the clip from the large hose, but leave it connected. Tilt the tank up to drain what coolant is left back into the large hose. Once all the coolant is out of the tank, remove the large hose from the bad coolant reservoir, but don't let the hose drop down-- keep it held up so no coolant spills out of it.

Grab the new tank and connect the large hose and clip. Settle the tank down and twist it clockwise back into the locking tabs. Now you can reconnect the smaller hoses and clips. Push the plastic locking tabs for the wire harness into the new tank. Put the small screw/bolt back into the front of the tank and your DONE! If done carefully, you won't spill a drop of coolant anywhere!

I guess if you used a clean container for the coolant you removed with the turkey baster, you could reuse it, but I didn't. I had some Jag coolant on hand so I mixed it 50/50 with water and was done.

You'll also need to recheck your coolant levels over the next few days after driving, because the coolant level will drop as it runs through the coolant system. Once you check it and it hasn't dropped any, you should be all set.

Last edited by Jestered; 02-16-2011 at 04:41 PM.