X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Alternator And Cables-car still dying and battery drained in minutes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

Thanks everyone for your replies. He has not traced the problem yet but was hard at work with the electrical diagrams. I hope to get this problem solved soon. After that is done I will have to obtain and print out the electrical diagram myself.

I have got so many different responses on how to program that ECU to the car that I do not know which one is true . There is another post precisely on that matter so I will see what information that yields!

Old 10-26-2013, 01:31 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Hello guys;

This is scaring me now.

This started with a battery light ocassionally. Then car started dying at stop lights, battery fully drains quickly. Replaced ALL battery cables and alternator. Still the same problem.

My mechanic had the car running with the a/c on for about an hour and the car ran fine after installing the alternator

While at the shop i left the car on with the AC on and the lights on (BTW I always drive with the lights on) and the car died again.

So it's not the alternator or cables.

Something is suddenly draining the battery quickly-

Because I am always driving with the lights on I am thinking it's something with the light circuit

OR

Because the first time the car died was after a car wash I am also thinking water in the ECU

Please help !!

check out my post " cure for alternator issue " Jaguar s type.... i believe we couldve had the same problem.... im will to bet that if u try what i did that the car will be just fine

Old 10-26-2013, 09:51 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by beema7453
check out my post " cure for alternator issue " Jaguar s type.... i believe we couldve had the same problem.... im will to bet that if u try what i did that the car will be just fine
Do you have a link to the post?

Last edited by DPK; 10-26-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

Thanks so much. Found the link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...5206&styleid=4

Am I understanding that the ECU connectors where at fault here??

Old 10-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default maybe your cure for parasitic battery drain while car is running and alternator good

For sure cure for s type alternator/battery issue of battery drain while engine on
Adjusted theElectric harness connector " middle " one of the 3 on top right corner of engine bay. There are 3 grouped together but the middle one is the one that was causing my alternator to intermittently not charge the battery and strand me on the side of the road once the car burned all of the power from the battery. Here are the symptoms.
1. Check engine light appears
2. battery light appears shortly after.
3. multiple dash lights appear.
4. a/c dies with no air
5. radio dies and screen goes blank.
6. car loses power and stalls.
7. once stalled the battery is completely dead with no power or very little power..

If u experienced these problems on your s-type or other models in this year it is most likely this harness connector that is going bad or has a poor connection . I went to auto-zone this morning just to see if it was possible to buy it and they said it was a dealer only part because Jaguar didn't release the patent. I went under my hood and adjusted the connector and taped it down really good and my car is back to new. Please share this with every jag owner and especially ones who have posted on this same issue.. i read many post and no one gave a solution so rest assured if your alternator is good then ill put my money on this connector as the culprit. !! good luck

Attached Images