X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replaced turbo actuator with a brand new one now runs like a dog

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question replaced turbo actuator with a brand new one now runs like a dog

Hi there are no limp mode lights on with the new actuator fitted. It seems to work fine when I watch it with the bonnet up. As I was fitting it I checked the linkage was as free as stirring a teaspoon in a cup of tea with full travel. All looks fine...but...If anything the idle revs are slightly higher. The car drives, with no warning lights, but come to accelerate and it is a dog. On the flat it will wind up and cruise fine at 70mph. One a long straight flat road if you boot it there seems to be chronic turbo lag, then the rev needle goes over to the red line. the auto box doesnt seem to change gear at the right moment but does change gear smoothly.
I have a hunch that when the old turbo actuator went phut and the car went into limp mode, it may have upset the ECU programming. The trouble with these dark mornings and nights is cant get out to see clearly what is wrong. I dont think it is a turbo hose leak, but could be I suppose, however the coincidence of the actuator dieing and the then the rest of the car driving going up the spout on fitting a new one seems to be too coincidental.
In the mean time yesterday evening I took the acuator apart in the kitchen and with a multimeter found two of the wires linking the black cover to the circuit board seemed to have dry solder joints so have resoldered them, and will try putting the old one back in case the new actuator is in fact duff.
Thoughts are much appreciated. It is a 2009 jag with impeccable service history, I bought it 3 months ago having had a 3 litre petrol xtype. before.
If fitting the old actuator back doesnt cure it, I will try touching the battery leads together to clear the volatile memory of the ECU.

Old 01-26-2020, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to give an update now sorted, running sweetly again as it should. Bit of a face palm moment on saturday morning. when it was daylight again I could see the E clip (circlip) had pinged off the turbo actuator link sometime during the week. the link arm was resting on the actuator moving part so in the twilghlight when I popped the bonnet on wednesday night in the dark it looked like it was moving. I now have two actuators that work - the new one and the one I re-soldered the connections (that bit was tricky and am kicking myself even more because the air was blue whilst trying to resolder the connecting wires. It took a lot of cleaning of the silvering off to get to decent copper for the solder. Anyway did the trick of clearing the volatile memory of the ECU by disconnecting battery and touching the battery leads together off the battery. I can convince myself of anything, but I am pretty sure the car is now a lot livelier. having gone from it being a dog at T junctions I was used to lots of welly to pull out onto an A road. the result today was boy racer wheel spin...not my usual sedate driving!

The following users liked this post:
Sinbad (01-28-2020)