Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement engine - no crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement engine - no crank

Hi lady and Gentlemen.

My name is Kai new member in a forum. I living United State of America. Recently I bought a used 2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 AWD. The engine was overheat can't crank anything. Then I was bought another engine same model and installed on my Jag then everything hooks up new battery all connective clean up and I start engine. No Crank. Then I do some research find out my Jag is in Immobilize mode. They show me on you tube how to re program with a key fob. And I followed exactly what he did but it isn't turn over security light on center still on when I turn a keyfob into crank position. I dont know what is correct way or maybe there is any tech problem issues?

Please someone help me. I dont know a lot about Jaguar but I love to have it. Thanks a lot for any of your honest guide me to fix it.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,927 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Kai, unless you have the special SDD software (about $700 to buy the laptop and a registered version of it), there is no way to program a key if you have lost all of the keys in the computer. What is shown on Youtube is good if you have 2 good keys that will start the car and then need to program a third (or more). You may be able to talk to a locksmith and they may have the necessary software to do what you need. But, that is going to set you back about $100 or so and not all locksmiths have the needed software. This is where calling around and asking them if they have the ability to program the first key for a Jaguar will narrow the field down.

Wish you luck. Granted, just to ask a silly question, does your ABS light remain on after you roll the key to the RUN position? If yes, then you will need to check the fuse(s) for the ABS computer. the other thing you need to look at is whether the instrument cluster is good (or has been recently replaced). If you have a problem with the instrument cluster, that can cause the same problem. In short, when you turn the key to START, the keyfob sends out a special code and this is received by an antenna that is located near the ignition tumbler. This information is then sent to the instrument cluster and then on to the ECU where this number is verified against those that are already programmed into the car. If the number matches, the car will spark the engine and allow it to start. If the number does not match, it will light the indicator on the center console.

Worst case, you will need to get the car towed to a jaguar dealership and they will definitely be able to program the key for you. Just be ready to prove ownership of the car. Jaguar has a lot of safeguards in place to prevent just anyone getting a key programmed to a car.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No crank

Mr Thermo: I got only one key in this Jag . That key is factory and I was changs out a battery . I wasnt remove or doing anything with the ECU . You right when I turn a keyfob to start ignition position a ABS light not turn off. And security light still on Red . Do you have any method to solve my Jag problem. I appriciate you.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,927 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Kai, from the sounds of things, the fuse to the ABS module has blown and is not transmitting information properly. I would start there.

If this does not fix it, then what I would try is to hold down the TRIP button (left stalk button) and with the button depressed, turn the ignition key to the RUN position (DO NOT take it to START). Keep holding the button down as you watch the instrument cluster. In the information window (after about 3 seconds), you should see it change to "ENGINEERING TEST". At this point, release the TRIP Button. If you tap the trip button once more, all of your gauges should sweep from minimum to maximum and then back to minimum. If you tap it a second time, you should see all the pixels in the information screen light up. If you tap the TRIP button a third time, all the lights in the instrument cluster should light up. If you don't see what I am talking about, then you may have a bad instrument cluster and that is causing your problems.

To get out of this mode with the instrument cluster, you can either simply turn the car off or press and hold the trip button for 3 seconds.