X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing cylinder heads - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing cylinder heads - Help!

Hey guys,

Ok, so after browsing these forums a bit and getting a workshop manual for my 2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0, I decided that I would take on the job of replacing what I hope is just a blown head gasket.

Last week she overheated and I took her to the shop. They tested the coolant and found exhaust in the coolant and from that I have either a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head.

So, I've used the pdf Jaguar X-Type Workshop Manual 2001-2009 and there's a section for In-Vehicle Repair - Cylinder Head LH. So I start along disassembling per that guidance. Now I get to the point where it says "Remove Exhaust Manifold" and then the next step is remove the left hand camshafts and remove the cylinder head. Remove and discard the cylinder head gasket. Ok, that's great but I don't get it. This is where I need help.

First off I don't see how to get the exhaust manifold off. And then I don't see how taking that off is going to expose the camshafts/cylinder head.

Also now I'm starting to recognize that, the "LH" at the top was probably "Left Hand" and so how do I replace the Right Hand side cylinder head gasket? There isn't a section in the manual for Cylinder Head RH so I'm thinking this a dumb question but I still have to ask it.

Anyways, anyone with experience replacing cylinder head/head gaskets on a Jaguar X-Type, I'd appreciate your input on where I need to go next.

Thanks!
John

Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Default pictures

Ok, here are two pictures to make a little more clear the problem I'm having. One is of where I've got the car to right now and the other is from the manual.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing cylinder heads - Help!-img_0247.jpg   Replacing cylinder heads - Help!-img_0248_crop.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't replace the heads. I would replace the whole engine. Trust me you will regret it later. Unless you plan on sending the block out for inspection.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM

Plus if you drop everything out as a unit, it makes the job alot easier. I mean the engine and trans attached, by lowering the exhaust, craddle, taking the compressor off, bumper cover off. Undoing the trans cooler lines. Harness from ECM and the bulk connector by expansion tank that has a 10mm bolt on it. Undo the coolant hoses and back 02 sensor connector bracket along with vaccum pipes. Undo the front 02 sensor connectors. Take the struts and brake rotors on the front off as a whole assy. Get a few loading pallets and let the engine and trans come out a unit. But in true honesty. Get a new engine, or long block. I've see so many head jobs not work out on these cars because of overheated engines.

Last edited by jaglover922; 04-28-2013 at 08:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dalton642 (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM

I'm actually doing one this week on an Xtype. But I'm not dropping the heads. Too much of a risk. I've already sold the customer a new engine. Don't forget to check the cats when you take the engine out.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Thanks Jag.

I looked at replacing the engine first and it's looking like that will be about $1800. Is that reasonable or am I looking in the wrong places?

The reason I'd decided to go after the cylinder heads and gaskets is that I was hoping to get her running again for less than that. But as I looked at it today, I'm starting to see the hornet's nest I've stepped into here. It's looking to me like in order for me to replace even just the head gaskets is going to mean taking off the engine front cover and removing the timing chains...is that right?

That's a bigger job than I'd anticipated. This is my first time dealing with overhead cams, but I don't see how you can get to the gaskets without removing the camshafts and timing chain.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 PM

The engine has to come out of the car no matter how you look at it. I've only seen the timing cover done in the car one time. I've never heard so many curse words before in my 10 plus years in the car business. I think you will have to bite the bullet. That price is reasonable. Welsh Jaguar might have some good prices. There engines usually come with harness and intake upper plenum. The only thing you have to swauap is exhaust cats and belts accessories.
Originally Posted by dalton642
Thanks Jag.

I looked at replacing the engine first and it's looking like that will be about $1800. Is that reasonable or am I looking in the wrong places?

The reason I'd decided to go after the cylinder heads and gaskets is that I was hoping to get her running again for less than that. But as I looked at it today, I'm starting to see the hornet's nest I've stepped into here. It's looking to me like in order for me to replace even just the head gaskets is going to mean taking off the engine front cover and removing the timing chains...is that right?

That's a bigger job than I'd anticipated. This is my first time dealing with overhead cams, but I don't see how you can get to the gaskets without removing the camshafts and timing chain.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Just a question here. You stated, "They tested the coolant and found exhaust in the coolant and from that I have either a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head." How did they find "exhaust" in the coolant? I've never heard that one before.

-Pull out the spark plugs and look down the hole for any coolant.

Do you trust this mechanic?

Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

OK, my mistake. I just checked the internet for exhaust gases in the coolant and it can be done.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeeves12
Just a question here. You stated, "They tested the coolant and found exhaust in the coolant and from that I have either a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head." How did they find "exhaust" in the coolant? I've never heard that one before.

There is a blue fluid that is used to check for exhaust gases in the coolant. It goes into a baster looking thing that has two chambers. The idea is that the exhaust gases mix with the coolant and a great place to check it is the reservoir. The baster sucks a little of the air at the top of the reservoir and it changes the color of the fluid if exhaust gases are present. Another way is using an emissions sniff tester. It will show hydrocarbons and CO which are products of combustion. We use the blue fuild all the time on discovery's.

Dalton642,

I've had heads off x-types and I don't think you can do it in the car without a boatload of headaches. Yes you have to remove the timing chains to take the cams out to get to the head bolts. Retiming that motor is a bitch. It tooks us a few days to read the repair manual and look at the ford engineering diagrams before we could figure out what the hell to do.

As stated, you may be better off just swapping the motor. Those engines absolutely hate overheating so even if you did get it back together, it may fail again sooner rather than later.

good luck

Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 AM

What he meant was cumbustion in the cooling systems. They have testers to test for this. Sometimes you can smell it depending on how bad it is.

Originally Posted by Jeeves12

Old 05-04-2013, 05:47 AM

retiming these engines are easy. You treat each bank like a seperate engine. You do however have to remove the engine. There isn't anyway in hell I would do it in the car.

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP
There is a blue fluid that is used to check for exhaust gases in the coolant. It goes into a baster looking thing that has two chambers. The idea is that the exhaust gases mix with the coolant and a great place to check it is the reservoir. The baster sucks a little of the air at the top of the reservoir and it changes the color of the fluid if exhaust gases are present. Another way is using an emissions sniff tester. It will show hydrocarbons and CO which are products of combustion. We use the blue fuild all the time on discovery's.

Dalton642,

I've had heads off x-types and I don't think you can do it in the car without a boatload of headaches. Yes you have to remove the timing chains to take the cams out to get to the head bolts. Retiming that motor is a bitch. It tooks us a few days to read the repair manual and look at the ford engineering diagrams before we could figure out what the hell to do.

As stated, you may be better off just swapping the motor. Those engines absolutely hate overheating so even if you did get it back together, it may fail again sooner rather than later.

good luck

Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the same position here, i have a 03 x-type 3.0 with blown head gasket and i want def dont want to drop the engine. i would rather do this with it in the car. Does anyone know what exactly this consists of? I bought this car for 400 bucks and was hoping to fix it. Should I just sell the car?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:09 AM

Hi,
My 2003 X-type is in the shop, and they just called and said I may have a busted freeze plug since it sat up during a freeze this past winter...and hopefully it's not a cracked head... they're taking the top off if the engine to look. Is the plug also a hard (or really expensive) thing to replace?

Old 06-16-2014, 12:28 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>My 2003 X-type is in the shop, and they just called and said I may have a busted freeze plug

Not enough info...

Why do they think it has a "busted freeze plug"? If so, I wouldn't remove a cylinder head to check (to check what?). They should do a cooling system pressure check.

Don't put $$$ into fixing the engine. Find a good replacement motor and install that one.
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star
he played a mean guitar
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 PM

Thanks so much! I'm going to call them first thing in the a.m. What they told me is that its running great, but when they put water in it pours right out. Any more info I can provide, let me know...

Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 AM

Hi,
I talked to one of the mechanics this a.m. and told him to hold off until I got more answers. He said that the water is pouring out below the clyinder head above the manifold exaust system (I hope I get these terms right - I have never been this involved in auto repair as I am now, but this car means a LOT to me)As for the "freeze plug" I told him what you said..he replied "-well maybe there isn't one" to which I thought "OMG"... Also, the reason that he thinks the head might be cracked, is that the persin that had it during the winter (long story) had WATER instead of coolant in it so the water expanded. PLEASE HELP...they want to charge me 500$ just to.look for the so called "freeze plug" or cracked head. If I get a new engine the 500 WON'T be charged, just the cost of installing the engine.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:18 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Too many unknowns... I think you may have trouble getting a definitive diagnosis from this mailing list.

Basic question, what do you know about the shop that is looking at the car, are they experienced with Jaguars? Things seem pretty complicated and I would want to know that the technician looking at the car was familiar with these cars. Stating that it might be a freeze-plug is not very satisfying. But if the car really had water in the radiator over the winter (even in Alabama...) strikes me as pretty irresponsible by the previous owner. That could suggest other surprises await...

I think trouble is brewing and it most likely won't be cheap to fix. Diagnostics are expensive but I think that is where you are now.

Does the motor run? Has the shop done a leak-down test or a coolant system pressure test? The first would show if the cylinders are leaking (e.g., the head gasket is "blown") the second would show if the coolant system is leaking (e.g., failed freeze plug or head gasket). Does the engine oil have coolant in it (e.g., head gasket is "blown")?

Does anyone know if there is a coolant line on the top of the motor that might leak in such as to lead someone to think that a freeze plug had failed?

Other than I can't think of anything else to suggest... :-(
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

The following users liked this post:
micki88 (06-18-2014)
Old 10-20-2020, 11:53 AM
Default Old thread but ... 🙄🙄🙄

Originally Posted by jaglover922
retiming these engines are easy. You treat each bank like a seperate engine. You do however have to remove the engine. There isn't anyway in hell I would do it in the car.
hey Jaglover,
I took my UK kitty out to italy (so RHD jag) as I plan to keep, work on for decades to come, and turn into a classic. I have found myself in need of a headgasket replaced, its done 3 water pumps, a thermostat & 2 oxygen sensors in the 3 years I've owned it, also have found combustion gases in the coolant pipes.. aaand oil on the spark plugs in both banks.. Finding a 3.0 engine out here is impossible as italians love the diesels and very few people bought petrol versions of these. So with that in mind I decided to go ahead and replace it, could you so kindly give a man a heads up on parts that are a must to ORDER and replace when taking the job on and also, more importantly, a diagram of some sort for timing this back up once the gaskets are replaced? Your help is appreciated , I ask you cause you were the only one not bashing actually replacing them.

Thanks in advance ✌🏾

Old 10-20-2020, 12:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XTyperProFiler
hey Jaglover,
I took my UK kitty out to italy (so RHD jag) as I plan to keep, work on for decades to come, and turn into a classic. I have found myself in need of a headgasket replaced, its done 3 water pumps, a thermostat & 2 oxygen sensors in the 3 years I've owned it, also have found combustion gases in the coolant pipes.. aaand oil on the spark plugs in both banks.. Finding a 3.0 engine out here is impossible as italians love the diesels and very few people bought petrol versions of these. So with that in mind I decided to go ahead and replace it, could you so kindly give a man a heads up on parts that are a must to ORDER and replace when taking the job on and also, more importantly, a diagram of some sort for timing this back up once the gaskets are replaced? Your help is appreciated , I ask you cause you were the only one not bashing actually replacing them.

Thanks in advance ✌🏾
Hi and good luck
as i live in country near Italy i had same problems as you and decided to rebuild engine. by far cheapest option for parts is ordering them online mostly from rockauto and ebay. Best bet is to order full gasket set. and if rebuilding bottom end and heads you will need a lot of new bolts, exhaust valves, valve shims....
for timing check my post in thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...correct-32221/

Quick Reply: Replacing cylinder heads - Help!