Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return to sender...... Jag given back to dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:55 PM
one
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Return to sender...... Jag given back to dealer

The resale is too terrible to trade it in, and the list of little things that just seem to keep happening are nickel and dime-ing me to death. Best thing to do is just to give it back to the dealer and fight it out.

It's pretty, that's for sure. Great looker and the awd is handy in the winter. Just not good enough quality. I gave Ford/Jag a chance on this one, but they don't deliver the same quality to the US as they (ford) do in other countries.

I encourage anyone still rocking their X-type happily to enjoy them and hopefully they will be what you are looking for in a car. I don't feel like the quality is up to snuff, I don't feel like the company itself is going to be producing anything that is anytime soon since the owners buy and sell the company every year or two. No stability, no home, no quality from the new owners every few years looking to buy in and cut costs to offset the startup investment.

I've arranged for the dealer to obtain the car tomorrow and they will be working with the financier to move the car to wherever they wish. We'll take it to court from there.

It's been nice to interact with everyone and I hope your Jags treat you well. Mine, though no major issues.... certainly has not.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Return to sender...... Jag given back to dealer

Sorry to hear that, that is one beautiful car - wish I could convince you to keep it...

Old 01-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  6.0 KB

One, so sorry to hear that..........It is one helluva gorgeous lookin car you have there for sure

As for your membership of this forum, we'll be sorry to see you go, although hopefully you may keep in touch.

I wish you all the best

Jim

Old 01-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

and so you informed, Ford bought jagaur in the early 90's, that not every few years. And what did you expect from an entry level Jag? There was alot not in that car to get it in under 30k. I for 1 am glad they quit building it...

Old 01-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that the resale on our cars are very low. I have toyed with the idea of trading it in and getting something else but the trade-in value/private sale value has deterred me thus far. On that note I will keep it for a while longer and continue to use it as my DD. Keeping it clean and staying up on all of the usual stuff, since it has been a pleasure to drive and its a real looker.

Your X-Type still looks to be in excellent shape and I really dont think you will have a hard time selling it.. GL with whatever you do and the new car you purchase.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems like you've had the car for a while. Just curious: how did you manage to force the dealer to take it back? Did you do it under the Lemon Law statutes? If it's under Lemon Law, why doyou need to fightit outwith the dealer in court?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Pete04xtype

I agree that the resale on our cars are very low. I have toyed with the idea of trading it in and getting something else but the trade-in value/private sale value has deterred me thus far. On that note I will keep it for a while longer and continue to use it as my DD. Keeping it clean and staying up on all of the usual stuff, since it has been a pleasure to drive and its a real looker.

Your X-Type still looks to be in excellent shape and I really dont think you will have a hard time selling it.. GL with whatever you do and the new car you purchase.
It is unfortunate that the X-Type residuals are so low...but every cloud has a silver lining.Lousy residuals arewhat makes the X-Type such a compelling used car buy. I bought a loaded 2005 X-Type 3.0 with 21,500 miles earlier this month. The original sticker close to $38K. I got it for just under $14K out the door.

These are such great cars, with timeless Jaguar styling. I wouldn't feel bad about keeping and driving it until it gives up the ghost.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

what did I miss here? what went so wrong you gave the car back? there has to be more to this story.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Yuo no longer an X Type Owner but let's keep in touch . As for the X Type quality, it's not solely for your ride nor X Type, you should have seen entry level MB , MB's C Class and much

Old 01-26-2009, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,880 Likes on 7,154 Posts

ORIGINAL: MattSteele

It seems like you've had the car for a while. Just curious: how did you manage to force the dealer to take it back? Did you do it under the Lemon Law statutes? If it's under Lemon Law, why doyou need to fightit outwith the dealer in court?

I was a little curious about this, too. If it's a Lemon Law deal, the car would be repurchased by the manufacturer, not the dealer....although the dealer is often involved with some paperwork and taking custody of the car.

The wording "give it back to the dealer" is a little puzzling....unless it means selling it back to the dealer for whatever they are willing to give, and washing your hands of the whole affair.

Anyhow, One, sorry about your bad luck and wish you better in the future

Cheers
DD

Old 01-26-2009, 04:33 PM
one

I am literally giving it back. It was purchased there, though a finance company and it is going back there for them and the finance company to determine where it goes next. The dealer is barely involved other than it is coming back from which it came. The finance company and I will court with me over it's remaining lean.

There's a floor price to the loan after you cut the interest off at the date it is returned - like simple interest. There's a price it will bring going through the auction. The difference between those two will be a few thousand bucks. We'll go to court over it and find an agreeable settlement around $1000 once the lawyer works his magic. It's cheaper to get out of it than to keep it.

I'm sick of the Ford electrical in the car. Sometimes it's cold and you want to use the seat heaters..... whether or not they work when you hit the button is hit or miss. Sometimes you want to reach in the truck for something. Whether or not the alarm will go off WITH THE CAR UNLOCKED is hit or miss on that as well. Will the coolant tank valve break off on me in this half of the year, or the next half of the year? Should I put up with owning the only AWD currently on the market that requires me to drain the tranny every year, re-filter, reload, and cross my fingers praying it holds together another year?

Like I say, if the car works for you.... good on ya. My Mercedes CLK430 has been in my driveway for over 2 years and has never faltered, only oil changes and gas. It just rolled 100,000 last week, the Jag is @ 55,000 and has already had a broken coolant tank (which has a critical reoccurring flaw), ECU died and was replaced, tranny has been flushed twice and re-filtered to the tune of a few hundred bucks each year in an expense I shouldn't have to deal with just to keep the car running. Seat heaters do ...... whatever the hell they want. More to this list, not worth even typing out. I have to much in this one owner to deal with these issues.

The car is immaculate inside and out. Mint, perfect - one owner before me which was the wife of a Fortune 500 company guy so it got babied and washed every 2 days by the hired help. Bought into the best possible option for a used X-type I could get and paid for it...... well. The flaws that are happening to me are COMMON flaws. The fears are common fears. I'm simply tired of living with a substandard car and paying a standard price. There's a reason why these cars have no resale, ya know?

It's very pretty, it's comfy inside - short of the massive amount of road noise. I hope everyone has good fortune with theirs and enjoys it. My Mercedes has been good to me and I'm going to stick with it. Give this one back to the dealer and move along.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 PM

Sorry to hear about your experiences, One. Hope everything works out with the return. It does look like a beautiful car - what model year is it?I realize some issues (like the broken expansion tank) persisted into the later model years, but my impression is that the majority of the pain in the *** issues are mainly exhibited on cars from the earlier (2001 to 2003) model years. I took a bit of a leap of faith that many of the niggling problems had been fixed by MY2004 when I bought my car - it's been great so far, but I obviously haven't had it long enough to know how much maintenance it's going to require long term.

Best of luck with your next purchase. Given their reputation for poor quality in recent years, getting 100K miles on a Mercedes with no issues is impressive!

Old 01-26-2009, 06:08 PM
one

2005 X-Type 3.0 fully loaded

My mercedes is a 2000, they didn't start their crap manufacturing in Alabama until 2001 or so. It's all the USA built Mercedes having issues. Mine speaks German.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...uff/wax2-1.jpg

As a side note, my CLK430 is a mid level @ $55,000.00 so it doesn't inherit the issues from the lower line. In todays market the price would be $75,000 price point sold as new.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, but I just thought I would ask, does your credit score mean anything to you? By doing what you're about to do, you realize the finance company will be reposessing the car from you if you just leave it at the dealer and stop making payments. Whichsounds like what you're planning to do.Before you even get a chance to go to court to fight over the deficiency balance on the loan after it is sold at auction, they will do a number on your credit report, and the chances of you winning are little to none.[/align]And by the way, the interest will not stop until the car is reposessed not when you drop it off at the dealer.[/align][/align]I know you're pissed about your situation but think about the big picture before you do something you will regret later.[/align][/align]Good luck [/align]

Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

this could be true but I don't know the details. But here is another scenario. The dealer has some thousand dollar an hour attorney and find it cheaper to just settle than fight it out...

Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer doesn't have anything to do with this. They're just receiving the car back. The finance company has the contract & will try to collect on it.Their collection agency or attorney probably works on a contingency, which means they don't get paid unless they collect. That makes them work harder not settle.The dealership doesn't care & won't get involved. I know this because I own a collection agency that works for some of the major dealership groups in Virginia.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Frankly I'm surpised the dealer will even take possession of the car as they are accepting "care custody and control" of the vehicle....and all the responsibilty that goesalong with that....while a loan settlement issue is being ironed out, which may take some time. Not very smart on their part but maybe they are trying to be accomodating under the circumstances.

One, I wish you the best in getting out from under the car and I'm glad you have a good attorney. It sounds like you have everything figured out and have a plan but, I gotta tell ya, after being involved in many (2-3 dozen, I'd say) similar disputes I've never seen the bank give a rat's a** about the problems with the car, whether or not its a lemon, etc etc. As far as they're concernedyou promised to pay the loan whether you like the car or notandthey'll alwaysdemand thatthe loan be satisfied in full.

If the battle gets strungout I strongly urge you to continue making payments until the matter is concluded....if you care about your credit rating.

If your car qualifies as a "lemon" under the laws of whatever state you live in I really think that would be a better avenue to take....but, hey, I won't pretend to know all the answers and I'm certainly not an attorney.

Best of luck

Cheers
DD

Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

from what i see the car would not fall under any lemon law anywhere. the seat heaters don't work and hose broke? I think the lemon laws pertain to issues like an engine blowing up or the wheels falling off. and even then I believe the dealer (or seller) has 3 chances to fix that issue. I have had a benz and a bmw, I had more issues with those cars in a month then I have ever had with the Jag. Now don't get me wrong, if a deal came across on a benz or a bmw i might give it go once more... well maybe not the bmw, that car was in the shop for something every week. As much as I tried to like the car it just started to drive me nuts. Please remember that the X-Type is an entry level car and should not be compared to your benz. If you had an XJ or XK it would not be fair to compair those to a 3 series or vise versa. Good luck with what ever car you go with and I hope court works out for you, just remember that one bad car does not reflect the whole brand.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

Lemon laws vary a lot from state to state. Here in Washington, for instance, its basically 4 repair attempts for any defect, 3 attempts for a safety related defect, or 30 days total out of service.

Some states have clauses like ".....any defect which substantially reduces the usability of the vehicle...." or similar to prevent nuisance claims.

Usually, if you prevail in a LL case, you get a refund based on the full amount you paid, less mileage deduction.

Sometimes, if you have a cut and dry case where you would obviously win an arbitration, the manufacturer will voluntarily repurchase the car....if you agree to buy from them again. Saves weeks of haggling and waiting. Or, if the car isn't technically a "lemon", sometimes I've seen them throw "goodwill money" at a car deal if the customer just wants to trade the car in for a new one...."make the best deal you can with the dealer and we'll throw in xxxxx dollars to sweeten the pot" type of thing.

Itsall case by case, and my experience is not with Jaguar so I don't know how they feel about such things. Its not unheard of with other manufacturers, though.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Why don't you just sell it for what you owe on it?

Quick Reply: Return to sender...... Jag given back to dealer