X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reverse lamps & sensors not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default reverse lamps & sensors not working

hey guys im back again this time unfortunately with another issue... ive come to realize that the reverse lights in my 2002 xtype manual are not working aswell as the sensors..my first thought was the bulbs.. second thought a fuse.. third a relay.. (although in my car there is no reverse relay as stated on the typical central junction box diagram).. possibly just missing? fourth the two prong plug on transmission is not connected to a wire... the only wire that could possibly go to it has a different two prong plug but was not connected to anything. i tried jumping that wire.. white/blue with yellow stripe... (with a relay in the reverse lamp spot).. to see if lights may come on. no luck only thing that happens was ignition came on when wire was jumped. jumped the central box where the reverse relay goes and sensors chimed and lights worked.. so issue is def under the hood.. any thoughts or support would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

Last edited by bharvey622; 08-17-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I've moved your question from General Tech Help section to X-Type section.

Members here with the same model as you have are best placed to offer advice on the reverse lights and sensors.

(I've left a re-direct in General Tech Help so you get double the chance of help.)

Graham

The following users liked this post:
bharvey622 (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 665 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by bharvey622
third a relay.. (although in my car there is no reverse relay as stated on the typical central junction box diagram).. possibly just missing?

jumped the central box where the reverse relay goes and sensors chimed and lights worked.. so issue is def under the hood.. any thoughts or support would be much appreciated. thanks in advance
From what you are saying, sounds like you are just missing the relay.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,920 Likes on 3,220 Posts

bharvey, the plug that you thought might go in there, did it have 2 wires that were both green with a black stripe on them? If so, then that is the correct wires for the reverse switch. If they are something else, then give me the wire colors and I will see what I can find.

On a side note, there should be a status light on your instrument cluster that will tell you that the car is in REVERSE. Is that lighting when you put the tranny in REVERSE? If no, then the problem lies in the engine bay and is either a bad fuse, bad switch or the wiring up in that area. if the light is lit (which from the sounds of things won't be), then that would put the problem in the rear of the car.

On a side note, you can check the fuse just to make sure. It is fuse F82 in the fuse box in the cab of the car.

let me know when you find and we will get you taken care of.

bharvey622 (08-17-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 04:04 PM

Thanks pal, this is what i have found.. wire under the hood (only wire i can find that has a two prong plug and goes nowhere is blue with yellow stripe&white) but the female end does not fit the tranny plug anyways. nothing else i can find that should go to that male plug on tranny... when car is in reverse no light comes on.. and fuse is good its a red 10? also ive just found out that previous owners did a motor job in this car.. im not liking where this is going.. lol. could i be missing a wiring harness under there and how would i know for sure/

Last edited by bharvey622; 08-17-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Veteran member

bharvey, almost sounding like they wanted a stick really bad and they tossed a manual tranny into the car instead of the automatic. The plug that you found actually plugs into the back of the battery box. That plug is for the battery tender system for when the car was shipped from the factory. Look on the outside of the battery box and you will find a spot that the plug will fit into. Otherwise, you can just set it off to the side as it is good for nothing at the moment.

I would say to look down on the sides of the tranny and see if you can spot a 10 pin plug that is not connected to anything. That would be the old plug for the tranny position switch. That would confirm that it was built as an automatic tranny car and then converted over to manual. Otherwise, I would be guessing that they had an issue with the wiring and they may have very well cut the wiring out of the car just to get it out of sight. if you want ot dive into this further, let me know and I will see what I can dig up.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

On a side note, you may be able to take the VIN for your car and by looking at the first half of the numbers, it may tell you what the car was built with in the way of motor/tranny. Not recalling off the top of my head if it is in there or not. I know there is something dealing with the motor in the VIN, just not sure where.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 AM

Thanks.. Do you happen to know the correct wire colors for that plug. I'll try finding those and follow them to see if they have been cut somewhere along the way.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

The white wire and the blue/yellow wire that you have been playing with is definitely the battery tender wiring from when your car was shipped from the factory. So, take that plug and tuck it away.

The reverse light plug is a 2 wire plug that has 2 wires that are both green with a black stripe. So, do some looking and you should find it. If your car was an automatic, you will find a 10 pin plug just floating around. Granted, look in the fuse box. If you look down in the hole where the reverse relay should go, if you see metal connectors in all the holes, then your car was originally an automatic. If you don't see the metal connectors in there, then odds are it was a manual from the factory.

bharvey622 (08-20-2013)