Sponsored by:

Right Control Arm

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o my o my. i go with the "TECH". Everytime lol

Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Lets make this simple. Alignments are measured in 1/10 degree increments and 1/32" for toe. Just the slop in the bolt holes can be enough to change the alignment. Consider this, the rack and pinion on all Jaguars has threaded inner and outer tie rods for adjusting the alignment, the lock nuts that hold this adjustment in spec have 6 flats, if you break this nut loose without turning either tie rod and then rotate the inner tie rod so that the lock nut moves exactly 1 flat you will have changed the toe setting 1/32". Hopefully everyone will now understand why an alignment should be done any time the suspension is disturbed. Even if a part is changed that has no adjustment of its own the alignment has been altered.

Every tech worth his sack knows these things. If I didn't know the 1 flat 1/32" rule it could take me hours to align a car that required heating of the locknut or tie rod with a torch to get it to move. Just heating the locknut with a torch to free it will increase toe in by as much as 1/8". If I had to wait half an hour for everything to cool down before knowing if what I did was correct other techs waiting for the alignment machine would kick my candied *** out the door.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not know the 1 flat = 1/32 rule, but sounds good to me.
When I was a broke student spending all hi $$ on racing, we used to setup the "batter-boards" and do our own alignments with string and a tape measure. It's amazing how close you can get that way....
but nothing like today's alugnment racks.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
Lets make this simple. Alignments are measured in 1/10 degree increments and 1/32" for toe. Just the slop in the bolt holes can be enough to change the alignment. Consider this, the rack and pinion on all Jaguars has threaded inner and outer tie rods for adjusting the alignment, the lock nuts that hold this adjustment in spec have 6 flats, if you break this nut loose without turning either tie rod and then rotate the inner tie rod so that the lock nut moves exactly 1 flat you will have changed the toe setting 1/32". Hopefully everyone will now understand why an alignment should be done any time the suspension is disturbed. Even if a part is changed that has no adjustment of its own the alignment has been altered.

Every tech worth his sack knows these things. If I didn't know the 1 flat 1/32" rule it could take me hours to align a car that required heating of the locknut or tie rod with a torch to get it to move. Just heating the locknut with a torch to free it will increase toe in by as much as 1/8". If I had to wait half an hour for everything to cool down before knowing if what I did was correct other techs waiting for the alignment machine would kick my candied *** out the door.
and this is another reason I like to come here....learned something new. I always cool the metal with a wet rag till I can touch it and its room temp...and I do make sure to tell others when theyre heating to make sure and cool it or theyll be way out of spec when it does..tnx RT

Old 02-20-2009, 07:38 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jag-ooo-r
Jimmy:
you're arguing on the wrong side with the wrong guys here. You can't just pretend you know what you're talking about in this crowd.
The part itself has no adjustment, you are correct. did you even read my other post? The one where I explain to you how things can move out of alignment from bent / worn / abused parts, and just replacing the parts will NOT re-align it.... it's not magic, dood.
And the word is "Divine", not 'devine', and nobody has suggested that God has anything to do with it.
And are you REALLY suggesting that you think the car comes from the factory without it first being aligned? Whether by assembly jig or by other methods, the car IS aligned. Guaranteed.
Tell ya what though: you go right on ahead and replace parts without knowing what you're doing... and then we'll see how your car handles afterwards.
Firstly,
I do know what I am talking about. I have changed that part several times.
Secondly, I am very knowledgeable about this car. From what I read here the "crowd" is not technically savvy.... (generally speaking)
Thirdly, As long as there are no bent parts............ YES new parts will magically realign a car that is out of alignment from worn parts. sheesh to you.
Fourthly.. dont pick on typos.. I am not so bad at english.

I am not suggesting anything, I am telling you that there is no alignment procedure done to new cars. Sure the parts are "aligned" in the process of assembly, but there is no one adjusting eccentric nuts at the factory. They use Jigs and fixtures to get the entire car assembled properly. Dont pick on the words here, I am saying that the car come properly set up at the factory and unless something is bent or worn the alignment will not change.
Since the original poster said that the problem was from worn parts, then replacing a non-adjustable part with a new one WILL INDEED restore the alignment. If there are other issues, then obvioulsy there could be other services needed. If parts are bent, you might be able to adjust it back to spec. This is basic common sense.

What is your point anyway? I am trying to take the myths out of servicing your car. Apparently the brainwashing is very thorough. Nobody seems to want to use logic or reason.

I have spent years inside car assembly plants of various manufacurers.. including Jag. I am not inventing stuff. I am a licenced engineer, with experience and credibility.

Last edited by jimmy; 02-20-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy
Firstly,
I am trying to take the myths out of servicing your car. Apparently the brainwashing is very thorough. Nobody seems to want to use logic or reason.

I have spent years inside car assembly plants of various manufacurers.. including Jag. I am not inventing stuff. I am a licenced engineer, with experience and credibility.

I KNEW IT!!! This is really BoJangles, isn't it!?!?

as usual Bo; I feel no need to argue the point further with you. You are wrong, I am right. I also don't feel like i should have to give you my resume to be right... because frankly I don't have much invested in whether or not you beleive me.
In other words: IT'S OKAY WITH ME FOR YOU TO BE WRONG.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HUH?
How does adjusting an eccentric bolt become necessary when nothing else has changed? If you are worried about the slop in the bolt holes for this part, then you can mess around with that. I dont see how adjusting a completely different link will put this link into the proper position.

I dont even know what issue you are referring to as being right or wrong? do you mean the need for an alignment after replacing this worn part?

How about you explain so that your side of the story makes sense?