Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The right Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 12:48 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The right Coolant

Hi folks~

Yes...I have searched many threads and with all threads there is a difference of opinion...sometimes to a point of confusion depending on preferences.

I simply just want to know what kind of coolant to buy for MY JAG, and that is why I will attach a picture. This car only has about 24k on it and I am pretty sure this is the original fluid. I am not leaking anything but it has dropped below the fill line a tad.

I assume I could probably just add some distilled water in to fill it up and be ok, but sooner or later I need to have a reserve of actual coolant for this car...it would be smart to have on hand.

So many threads I read say it is orange in color and others say it is green in color and then people say to never mix coolant as it will contaminate the system or turn into gel. Well to me...mine looks PINK! Maybe that is how orange looks through the plastic, but it looks more pink to me if I was to describe it.

If it is indeed PINK, then does anybody know the exact brand and specs I need? Is this the actual JAG coolant?

If anyone can help, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time ;-)

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 07-24-2020, 04:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That looks original. Search WSS-M97B44-D or Comma SLA5L. The description will say red, but it is exactly the same color when diluted.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:27 AM
Received 8,120 Likes on 4,901 Posts

Info for you.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
100-16 XL coolant.pdf (82.4 KB, 40 views)
The following users liked this post:
daddylogan (07-27-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 08:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Logan, hopefully we can clear up a few things for you. To the best of my knowledge, there are 3 colors of coolant out there, green, orange, and red. Each one is a different mix of chemicals. So, trying to mix different colors can have undesired effects. There are some mixtures out there that say that they are "all color friendly". I will let you decide if they are or not. So, if you look on the outside of the coolant bottle you find in the auto parts store, you should find on the front where it says that it is colored "red" or "green" or "orange". Match the color (in your case red) and you should be good. Then all you have to worry about is whether you are buying 50/50 mix or the concentrate. If you are just needing to top up the overflow bottle, you are better off getting the 50/50 mix. If you were to drain the system and then refill, then getting the concentrate is cheaper.

All 3 colors provide sufficient protection to the coolant system of your car. But, like I have said, you can't mix colors. So, if you were to drain and then refill (with a pure water flush tossed in there too), then you can use any color coolant you want.

I will also add that if you are living in say SoCal, you can one time add distilled water to fill up the bottle. But, the next time, you would need to add 50/50 mix if not the concentrate. the big thing is you don't want to deviate too much from the 50/50 mix. that has the best mix of hot weather cooling and cold weather anti-freeze protection. If you are up north in NoCal, then for the moment, adding water can be done, but it would be advisable to drain and refill to get the coolant back to 50/50 mix prior to things cooling down. There is roughly 2 gallons of coolant in the system. So, a quart of straight water is not going ot cause things to shift too much.

daddylogan (07-27-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 05:38 PM

Thermo....I went to Autozone today and told them I needed coolant for a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 and I told them I needed the RED 50/50 mix. I told him he would probably see Orange and Green also but I needed Red. He said there was one colored Pink at a 50/50 mix. I told what you had said and he guaranteed me this was the right match. I even popped the hood so he could see my reservoir and he said YES. So I am attaching a picture of what he sold me and is this the right one?

I also got brake fluid and power steering fluid as per what they showed on their computer...are those the correct ones as well.

Thanks again for the help

Peace out,
daddylogan

Originally Posted by Thermo
Logan, hopefully we can clear up a few things for you. To the best of my knowledge, there are 3 colors of coolant out there, green, orange, and red. Each one is a different mix of chemicals. So, trying to mix different colors can have undesired effects. There are some mixtures out there that say that they are "all color friendly". I will let you decide if they are or not. So, if you look on the outside of the coolant bottle you find in the auto parts store, you should find on the front where it says that it is colored "red" or "green" or "orange". Match the color (in your case red) and you should be good. Then all you have to worry about is whether you are buying 50/50 mix or the concentrate. If you are just needing to top up the overflow bottle, you are better off getting the 50/50 mix. If you were to drain the system and then refill, then getting the concentrate is cheaper.

All 3 colors provide sufficient protection to the coolant system of your car. But, like I have said, you can't mix colors. So, if you were to drain and then refill (with a pure water flush tossed in there too), then you can use any color coolant you want.

I will also add that if you are living in say SoCal, you can one time add distilled water to fill up the bottle. But, the next time, you would need to add 50/50 mix if not the concentrate. the big thing is you don't want to deviate too much from the 50/50 mix. that has the best mix of hot weather cooling and cold weather anti-freeze protection. If you are up north in NoCal, then for the moment, adding water can be done, but it would be advisable to drain and refill to get the coolant back to 50/50 mix prior to things cooling down. There is roughly 2 gallons of coolant in the system. So, a quart of straight water is not going ot cause things to shift too much.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Daddylogan, the coolant, good to go. The tranny fluid, that should be good to go. Looking at the service manual, it says that you should be using a fluid that meets "WSS-M2C9 22-A1", which if you do some looking, does cross over to a generic listing for the Dexron-VI fluid, but not the STP fluid specifically. I cannot find anything that specifically lists the WSS spec. Granted, the STP site does say that it is good for Ford vehicles up to 2006 and since the motor/tranny are essentially Ford products, I feel that this is good enough.

Now, for the brake fluid. I think you may have gotten the wrong stuff. The service manual says that you should have SUPER DOT 4 brake fluid. looking at that bottle, I only see DOT 4. Looking, the DOT4 fluid will work in the car, but under hard braking, you may find that with only the DOT 4 fluid, the brakes may become spongy, where the Super DOT 4 fluid, they will not. the difference between the 2 fluids is the boiling point, which the Super DOT 4 has a higher boiling point and therefore will not boil as easily.

Grant Francis (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,363 Posts

The only thing is: the transmision is not a Ford product. It is a transmission made by JATCO, (JF506E) used in a number of different cars such as the Land Rover Freelander, VW, SEAT, Mazda and others as well as the X-Type.

Last edited by sov211; 07-25-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:26 PM

Thanks guys...please note the transmission fluid is what they gave me to fill my power steering fluid with...not doing a tranny flush. Basically I went it for Coolant, brake fluid and power steering fluid and this is what they gave me. If I need to return any of them and get a different kind, that is what I want to know. Then I can put this fluid thing to rest forever since there are so many opinions on it! LOLOLOL

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 07-25-2020, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

Daddylogan, if you are using it for power steering fluid, then that will work. Dexron VI is the replacement for Dexron III.

daddylogan (07-27-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 05:10 PM

Thank you for all the replies and help...as always, much appreciated!!! ;-)

Have a good Sunday everyone.

peace out,
daddylogan