X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

right front C V axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you ThomasX and bob for these replies. I'm just gonna inspect the inner seals as best as I can, lightly grease the snap-ring and coax the new axle back in there.

If that "mid shaft" is supposed to be part the tcase I sure wish a new one didn't come attached to my new axle- looking like one fine piece of kit! I have 15 years if experience as a shadetree mechanic and I'm feeling aome serious pain from this mistake- and as much as I try to always look at my role in any problem/situation, I kinda want to slap an old british engineer right now..

Fuh!

Old 08-16-2017, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 558 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
You bolt one end to the case and the round peg goes into the splined end of the shaft.

The shaft cannot be removed far enough to damage a seal but far enough if you need to remove the transfer case.

Illustration 18 on page 15 of the attached TSB shows how to use the tool.

bob
Thanks. So maybe I missed something, but the tool won't help with spliting the axle at all. It's just there to hold it after it's been done?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Received 8,079 Likes on 4,873 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Thanks. So maybe I missed something, but the tool won't help with spliting the axle at all. It's just there to hold it after it's been done?
The tool is used to keep the 'through-shaft' from getting too far out of the case and possibly damage the seals when the case is removed from the gearbox.

bob

Old 03-29-2018, 02:02 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and will be going this morning to look at a 2003 X-Type 2.5 that will be gifted to me. I could have taken this Cat 2 years ago but I didn't need a car at the time. So in speaking with my friend last evening I found out it what he meant by center transfer case was not a center support bearing as he said it leaked? He had replaced the right CV joint and pull it out in one shot in one piece and replaced it the same way. Yes, IT LEAKS very badly now. The dealer or mechanic wanted an arm and a leg to repair it. I have a couple of question to this problem:

1) Is the fluid that's leaking Transmission fluid?
2) I read the entire post - may be a little too quickly but it's seems it requires a tearing down or apart in order to replace the seals?
3) Is there a post on fixing this problem? Thank you in advance for your help.

Blessings,
BKM

Old 08-05-2018, 11:01 PM

[QUOTE=Spikepaga;1741303]Not much that I can say about the seal, because I have not had to replace this yet, but I did buy the special Jaguar tool- found someone selling it used for 20 bucks- and I wonder how it works, exactly

This a Shaft Limiter Bracket

Old 03-07-2019, 06:44 PM

Ok, so I know this is an old thread, but I am a new wrencher to this cat. I have a couple of questions, first, has anyone put the through-shaft back in without the clip at all, and ran the car that way? I, reluctantly, pulled the shaft out slowly, turning along the way, as was described in another thread (I've read soooo many of them now). It came out surprisingly easy, then I seen why. There was no clip on it at all. It doesn't appear that it had any issues running without it. But I don't want to risk a catastrophe....
Second, I didn't destroy it, but I mauled the seal between the two shafts a little trying to remove it. Has anyone found a suitable replacement to use, an o ring or maybe some other plumbing seal, or ????
Thanks in advance for any help and input anyone has.

Bobby

Last edited by BJagged; 03-07-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil seal info

If you check my post from couple of years back, it has the info on the seals, they cost about $7 each from rockauto.com, along with information on how I changed the seals

Old 03-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

SKF 10181 ( 26 X 40 X 8 mm) available from rockauto.com for about $6 each

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (10-04-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 03:20 PM
Default Left and right the same?

Hi,
thanks for the good information on this thread.
I wonder if the right CV axle is the same as the left one.
Because there are right ones that you can not split. Like in this link:
https://www.daparto.de/Teilenummernsuche/GSP/218240

This one :
Https://www.daparto.de/Teilenummernsuche/GSP/218027 is for the left side, if I use the spilt method can I use it for the right side?

Old 09-12-2020, 04:44 PM
Default Sos

Originally Posted by ThomasX
Whoops, this is what came out following some other instructions.

Removed it very carefully and didn't notice any hangups on the way.

Any chance the aforementioned seal is still intact?

hello there my fellow x-type owner if I tell you it's a full life's journey trying to find any kind of assistance for any automotive work for our series. But im having this same issues right now my front passenger cv has gone out on me. It's my Own fault tbh. Now my question is this the long rod at the end of the CV axle does that have to be removed in order for me to replace my new cv axle in its place? And what does the pin look like I'd hate to damage anything on my car and the fact I know nothing of jag I am in love with my x-type....lol

Old 09-12-2020, 07:08 PM
Received 8,079 Likes on 4,873 Posts

The RH CV axle shaft is NOT to be removed complete as shown!!!!!!!!!!!!

The axle is SUPPOSED to be split where the seal protection shroud is at the base of the inner CV assy.

The 'through-shaft' is supposed to stay in the transaxle/transfer case.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Found this thread a little too late.

Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
Default Inner shaft came out with the cv axle

Hey new to the car and the forums. When I pulled my cv axle I found this forum much too late and had it all pulled out as one unit. Didn’t even realize it was supposed to be 2 separate parts until install. It came out with a light tap and no clip of any sort on the end which confused me to begin with but didn’t think anything of it since. Trying to put it all back in as one peice again I rotated it till splines lined up and with a light push my hand it clicked in about 10” so 3.5” roughly still sticking out. After that I noticed it wouldn’t come out again and it also wouldn’t go in any further,

stuck in a pickle here and can’t figure out why the heck it’s stuck