X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right front CV axle removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right front CV axle removal

Been trying to find a way to remove my cv axle from my transmission any help would be greatly appreciated. I recently replaced the lower control arm I'm about to replace the sway bar but my main problem is that I don't have the special tool needed for the job to get done. I have been reading threads in the forum but none of it makes sense and I'm not trying this pin everyone is talking about that sits in the transfer case whatever n wherever that is. I have the new cv axle but it's the whole part and I'm not sure how to dismantle the full cv axle from the transmission... please I need help pic or vids will help a great deal and also what does this inside pin look like so I know what to look for and how not to damage it taking out the old cv axle and putting in a new one.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:50 PM
Received 8,218 Likes on 4,955 Posts

The CV axle shaft needs to be separated at the transfer case so that just the inner and outer CV joints are at each end of the assy.

The LONG shaft through the transfer case needs to STAY IN THE TRANSFER CASE. (it can be pulled out no more than 200mm)

You can use a wedge to get the inner CV to separate from the through-shaft.
See pages 11 &12 of the TSB/Service Action XT307-S941 for the location to displace and remove front drive halfshaft from
transfer case link shaft.

Attached Files
Old 10-02-2020, 10:27 AM

So my next question is can I just replace the half shaft if the inner shaft is still good inside the transfer case? And witout pull the long rod out? Because I really can't understand that diagram you sent me.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:14 AM

The long straight shaft that goes through the transfer case needs to STAY IN THE TRANSFER CASE.
There is a clip on the end that can tear the seals if you pull it out!

The axle shaft with the two CV joints is the only thing you need to replace. The through shaft does not really wear out.
The right CV axle will look like the left one if you remove them and lay them side-by-side.(one might be a little longer?)

Old 12-12-2023, 01:51 PM

I know that this is an old thread but I have a question about the replacement half shaft. I'm attempting to purchase a new RH cv axle and they all appear to come with the transfer case link shaft attached. I'm aware that the Half shaft and the transfer case link shaft needs to be separated. I've checked on Rockauto and Parts Geek. I've also contacted Trakmotive, a manufacturer of the cv axle, and they told me that their transfer case link shaft cannot be separated from their half shaft. My local Jaguar dealer told me that the part has been rendered obsolete and is no longer available. Which I found to be odd. Is there a place where I can purchase this half shaft? Or do I just purchase a LH cv axle and install it on the RH side? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts
Old 12-13-2023, 09:16 PM
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Just jumping in here because I'm probably going to tackle my front right suspension in the next couple of months.

So I understand you have the outer CV going into the hub, then from there into the splined input for the inner halfshaft, which goes through the transfer case, and then finally going into the gearbox, correct?

Judging by how nearly impossible everything else on my front suspension has been to separate, I foresee that job of removing the outer shaft from the inner halfshaft not going well. Now, excuse me if I'd be incorrect in assuming this, but is there any reason why you couldn't just remove the inner halfshaft a bit (less than the 200mm recommended), and remove the clip? I feel like that might be easier than having to remove the inner shaft from the outer. Then install the new CV axle assembly through the T-Case, throw on the new clip, and shove it into the gearbox?

Old 12-15-2023, 09:14 AM

YES, you can remove the clip once the transfer case is separated from the gearbox.