X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right front drive axle seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Right front drive axle seal

I few weeks ago I changed out the right front drive axle and at the same time I changed the fluid in the transfer case.
Unfortunately the section of axle that passes through the transfer case and into the gearbox came out as well. It all went back together with a bit of finesse. There has been the burning smell from the common overservice of the T-case - small price to pay.
I'm now thinking I damaged the output seal to the axle and since it's better safe than sorry, I'm ready to pull everything apart again to change the output seal.

The following two questings are eating at me bigtime:

Does the fluid coming out of that seal come out of the transfer case or does it make it's way out of the transmission and through the axle shaft cavity?

Is there any way in hell the end of the axle (with the retaining clip) damaged the O-ring between the transmission and the T-case, or is that O-ring mounted externally of the axle sleeve so the axle would never hit it?

Thanks

2004, 3.0, Auto

Old 02-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

You should NOT have removed that shaft from the transfer box. There is a seal that is internal, and can be damaged. There is an external O-ring on the transfer box, but they rarely leak. I'm guessing you've cut the internal seal. Trans fluid is likely now making it's way into the T-box, and blowing out of the vent. The seal is not serviceable to my knowledge.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

There are a couple of things you can check. If you intend to service the t-case anyways, drain the fluid and see if it looks like you are getting trans fluid in the t-case. When the trans is full the fluid level is above the axle insertion points, that is why the transmissions are shipped 3 liters low. If there is trans fluid in the t-case your trans is now low and your t-case is overfilled and both are containing a mix of trans and t-case fluid. When the link shaft is pulled all the way out the retaining clip can damage the internal seal in the t-case. That doesn't mean it will, it just means it can. Checking for trans fluid in the t-case is the only way to check. There is a special tool that bolts to the t-case to keep the link shaft from coming out too far when servicing the t-case. You can change the outer coverplate seal without removing the shaft. You will also have to replace the plastic dust shield/seal reinforcer as I have never been able to get one off without damage. If the shaft is rusty polish it clean with emery cloth strip. Slip the new seal over the shaft and I seat it with an inner tie rod socket for rack and pinion inner tie rod replacement. It is a perfect fit for the seal and is long enough to get a good shot at it with a hammer. Force the new dust cover over shaft until it seats in groove.

The internal seal is serviceable if it is damaged but it requires the complete removal of the t-case as it goes in from the trans side.

The following users liked this post:
stanislav-e88a (11-23-2014)
Old 02-05-2010, 07:37 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how did you decide how much oil to put in?
if it is overfilled by just a few ounces, it will leak out the vent, just above the RH shaft seal.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I replaced the right axle, the link shaft pulled out and there was no stopping it. For shipping the core back, the two old sections were supposed to be separated - they would not come apart even out of the car on the bench using a vice and a large slide hammer! After that it was easy to see why the new axle assembly came with a new link shaft.
I'll be pulling the transfer case today and replacing the inner and outer seals.
Real_Tech, do you have a part number for that inner seal and plastic cover?
I have the outer seal already.

thanks